gun show prices suck

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by falseharmonix, Aug 23, 2009.

1. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Just went to the local gun and knife show yesterday, and was completely disappointed. There seemed to be half the vendors (and consequently half the attendees) as there were at the same location in January, the prices were outrageously jacked up...$30 for 50 rds of 115 FMJ 9mm.....give me a break....

A great deal more people were selling rinky-dink pocket knives, magic all natural energy potions, air soft, fireworks, and other various junk not at all worthy of being at a gun show.

Anyone else seem to be having the same results with crappy selection at shows? I know prices are universally to the moon, but with all the snake-oil dealers and such?

2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Last show I went to ammo prices were still high but availability was up. Which makes me think that prices will soon drop a little, not to where they were 3 years ago but a little cheaper.

I noticed that AR lowers have dropped back to normal prices again now that availability is back. Ammo shouldn't be much different.

3. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I see the same thing around here and it really pisses me off!! Whenever there is any ammo in stock anywhere they go and buy it all up then mark it up 3x what they got it for.. I can get Blazer brass at wally world for 9 bucks a box and they were selling it for $28

Its also in the local classified adds around here, they go and buy ammo and put it in there for a ridiculous price :mad:

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed, the shows here are the same, those that are inexperienced and looking for their first firearm go, look around and are glamored into buying and paying way too much for firearms and ammo. I use to go to the shows all the time, but here lately, the only thing worth going to see is the damn squirrel that water skis. I wonder if any one else ever notices that squirrel is always a little bit nervous at the gun shows. :confused:

Jack

5. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

The last couple I went to, ammo was somewhat cheaper, but the guns were through the roof.

A couple of flea market -swap meet junk tables, too.

There's always the old school ninja table, not mall ninja, but Koga Clan shuriken, blow gun, grappling hook ninja.:confused:

And there's always the switchblade guy, with the Taiwan knives marked "Italy."

6. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Gone are the day's of a good gun show. Now they are simply venues for rip-offs and flea market vendors selling bumper stickers and cheap crap made in China...:(

7. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

I never go to the local ones. If I want high priced guns and ammo, I go to Dicks Sporting Goods. If I want decent priced guns, I go to Gander mountain. If I want ammo, I go to walmart or buy online. ;)

S.S.

8. OC357

OC357 New Member

I havn't been to a gun show in a long time for the reasons you guys mentioned. But I might go to the next one they have around here just to look.

OC

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I went to the Northwest Arkansas convention center gun show in Springdale, AR. last April. The line was a mile long to get in, $8 at the door and the prices were laughable to anyone who knows anything about firearms.
    I won't go back.
    Wal-mart here has had 9mm and .40 federal ammo on a regular basis, still no .45, but today they also had 38special and 357magnum.

10. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

from my experience, most squirrels I've ever met have been pretty uptight and high-strung...:D

11. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Hey falseharmonix, actually $30 is only slightly overpriced for a box of 9mm. If you compare it to our prices about $23 for the same.

Guess it makes a whole lot of difference if you can buy online or from a dept store...still find it hard to get my head around being able to buy ammo + firearms from somewhere like Walmart. If you're American you have no idea what a weird concept that is to the outside world...

12. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

When Walmart has stock, I can get 50rds of Blazer for 9 bucks. Thats 3x more at the gun shows. Sports Authority has 100rd of Winchester White box for 30 bucks....so double their price...

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Maybe in Australia, but even $23 for 50rds of 9mm is outrageous!! If it comes to that I'm selling everything but a bunch of .22's. :)

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

One fella pretty much dominates the gun shows here in GA. I know for an absolute fact he has banned some dealers from buying tables as they were selling at reasonable prices. The "pirates" complained they couldn't compete and this toad caved under the pressure.

I haven't set foot in a show in a long time and when I did it was to find Georgia-Arms ammo...

15. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Wow. What a bunch of babies!
    Someone actually does right by the citizens, but gets punished for it. I wouldnt ever go to that. I'd rather support GOOD stores with a littler higher prices, than large chains for cheaper. Except walmart. That doesnt count. :p

S.S.

16. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Well we suffer for our sport down here...and not only legislative-wise :p

Actually I get a club discount so it's only $20/box lol (have to buy thru the club for a year until I'm permitted to buy my own ammo retail)

17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Goju, 45 has been the hardest for my to find for the past year. In a couple of months buying a box here and there I had over 1500 rds of 9mm. 40 was easier to find.
    The gunshows around her have been a joke as far as prices go. Everything is WAY overpriced, guns and ammo. Shop online, check local stores often and be patient. You'll find what you're looking for sooner or later.

18. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I'd say the only real advantage to the show is that you can find the oddball calibers that Wal-Mart doesn't have.

It's hard to feed your Tokarev at Wally World.

19. orangello

orangello New Member

HEY! I like my friggin SKS. :p (did come from a gun show)

20. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

Ive found better deals at my local gun store than gun shows. So far nobody beats alquist arms for gun prices here in california. They have an awesome online gun search tool at their website.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009