Gun Show Disappointment

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TLuker, Oct 23, 2011.

1. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I hit an area gun show yesterday with cash in my pocket and feeling like a kid on Christmas morning. I left toy-less and disappointed. I wanted to get a Springfield M1A but I was also keeping an eye out for a nice wood stock bolt action Steyr, Anschutz, or old FN along with a few odds and ends like a scope mount for an FN49. I found almost nothing. There were only 2 M1A's at the entire show. I couldn't find a single Anschultz in anything other than .22LR and only one Steyr (synthetic stock). This was a decent size show with a lot of guns, but almost no selection. I was very surprised at the number of M1 Grands but that's about it.

I know gun shows are hit and miss, but I've never been to a gun show with only 2 M1A's at the entire show and 5 M1 Grands on every other table. That got me to wondering about a few things:

Were there so few M1A's because of the lack of supply or the lack of demand?

I'm guessing all the M1 Grands resulted from an increase in supply from CMP sales and such, but what will that do to their price? I'm guessing the Grand is going to become popular now because so many are available at a decent price (compared to other semi auto battle rifles) and it's a great gun.

Where were the rare gems in the pile of homeless guns? I realize that rare guns are hard to find simply because they are rare, but it seems like I'm seeing fewer and fewer really nice guns especially older ones? Such guns always carried a high price but you could find them. Are those guns just ending up in collections with fewer and fewer in circulation?

I'm just thinking out loud here about a lot of different things and where the gun market is heading. Gun shows in general are starting to feel more and more like a trip to Walmart; same cookie cutter guns but most are used. I'm also seeing less and less quality and craftsmanship in guns, but there still seems to be a strong demand for quality and craftsmanship because you can't hardly find many of the older quality guns?

I know I rambled on about a lot of different things, but there just seems to be a change going on in the gun market right now and I can't quite put my finger on what it is? Any thoughts?

2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

You need to come to AZ... I was at a gun show last weekend and it was the exact opposite there was 2 M1 Garands at the whole show and about 10 M1A (mostly the socom model) for as low as $1,100, there was even a NM M14 (it was $1,700) Mausers could be had for anywhere from $150-$300

As for rare guns.. there were quite a bit but they were expensive... There was even a Russian Tigr, but the barrel was shortened and they still wanted $2,500!
    Quite a few old Winchesters but their prices are crazy! Mine was the cheapest at $1,600 and others were priced up to $4,000!! :eek:

The new cookie cutter guns? Face it thats what most the youngins want...

3. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Just out of curiosity, how is your area doing economically? My area is not doing well at all and maybe the guns are just following the money? If your area is doing ok, that would help explain the number of less expensive Grands here rather than M1A's and the number of M1A's in your area rather than Grands?

Just a thought?

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Its real crappy... Thats why I think the M1A's were so cheap.. I never see them under $1,500. People were really wheelin and dealing, A buddy of mine picked up a few guns for next to nothing..

Ive been hunting for a Garand and was really disapointed a the M1 selection...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  5. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

Where was the show? Fairgrounds or TCC?

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

One was at the fairgrounds, the other was the expo center on Irvington. The latter had a little more stuff.....

7. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

I hate to say it....I haven't been to a show in the last five years, other than the SAR Show in Phoenix that didn't disappoint me.

I am sick to death of all the douchetards in their nazi gear rolling around, and the people selling jelly and all the other junk that isn't remotely gun related.

I have been hitting a lot of estate sales with guns over the last couple of years and made some great scores. Some of the shows in northern AZ are showing some promise. I went to a show in Prescott that was fantastic! I picked up an HK P9S for $475 and a Garand for $500.

I used to really enjoy the show at the fairgrounds until one of those wannabe Arizona Rangers tried to tell me I couldn't enter with a loaded firearm (even after I showed him my badge and ID) but he got educated real quick. Then the old fart at the table checking the unloaded boxes of the "sellin' and tradin'" stock I was bringing in flagged me three or four times with the muzzle.

The TCC show was typically of lesser gun quality, but since PD handled security...the asshattery was kept to a minimum as far as enforcement goes.

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine went to the one at the TCC and said it was all cowboy and Nazi stuff, not even many guns to go with the western and nazi stuff.. Never understood why you would sell that stuff at a gun show and not have the guns to go with it..

I didnt see any "azzhattery" every one seem to be behaving... I had my 1895 with me and didnt get messed with.. One old guy I met even let me put it on his selling table.. I would watch his table if he had to go the the restroom, etc. I helped him pack up afterwards and he gave this weird Weaver quik-point sight.. I didnt sell my '95 but had a good time anyways... :)

9. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

That's good to hear. HOPEFULLY things are changing for the better. I mean of course, there are some good folks at the shows...it just seemed the trend was going the other way for a while.

Some of us up here were talking about putting together a show for gun guys...step outside the SAR and Crossroads box and do it the old fashioned way.

10. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

I hate to be *that guy* but let's get it straight:

GRANDS...as in "these biscuits are grand!"

[​IMG]

GARANDS...as in John Cantius Garand, the inventor.

[​IMG]

11. fmj

fmj Active Member

LMAO!! I was wondering how long that would take...

But i concur, GARANDS are grand.;)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  12. boomenshutzen

boomenshutzen New Member

Thank you, it was driving me crazy too. And I'll raise you one *that guy*... the proper pronunciation is ɡærənd.

13. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I will remember the correct spelling in the future at least for a few days, but honestly I'm tickled that I only misspelled that. :D

14. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

the last gun show i went to was a big disappointment too, it was more like a flea market then anything else.

i go to gun shows to see stuff i don't see every day or that the local stores don't carry. maybe an oddball old weapon or collector's item or 2. i saw none of that, the selection was pretty thin. it seemed every vendor had the same selection of handguns, rifles, & shotguns, all kinda blah middle of the road stuff. and none of them priced more competitively then anywhere else. then of course there's the people selling nic nac's like salt & pepper shakers & non-gun related clothing. just plain sad :mad:

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I don't know that I have ever been to a really good gun show. Plenty of bad ones though.

16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Most of the gun shows ive experienced, the vendors want you to give away any gun your selling and want you to pay almost double for one of their guns

17. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

I just love gunshow vendors. It's so 70/30 in my city. 70% with prices as high as bass pro and 30% that are just high. Maybe 1 vendor out of all actually has descent prices. For example: last gunshow-2nd Gen Glock 17 Police Trade in peeked my interest (sucker for glock) $500! Really? Really? And people buy from you?!!!! D-bags! Yet people were still buying them! Aaaahhhhh! I don't get it. So I decided...ill pay the entrance fee to go look around b/c afterall its a gunshow but, I'll just drive 150 mi to my hometown to buy a gun.

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Gun shows are kind of like garage sales nowadays.

Most people just assume they're getting a great deal.

No matter how high-priced something is, some numbnuts

will inevitably validate the vendor's faith in public stupidity

by paying it.

19. boomenshutzen

boomenshutzen New Member

Don't forget that most dealers at shows are willing to haggle. Sure, there are some people that don't care or don't know any better, but just because a piece is marked at a certain price doesn't mean the dealer isn't willing to part with it for less. Think about the last time YOU sold something. Did you give the buyer a bargain basement price right off the bat, or did you ask for something on the high end of what you thought it was worth?

I'm working on my barter skills. Gun shows are a great place to do so.