gun show arisaka type 99 find

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by surplusaddict, Apr 22, 2013.

1. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

Found an all matching, full mum, type 99 short rifle. The guy had it priced at $425, but got it for $300 because it had no monopod,dustcover, or cleaning rod. Blue is very nice, wood is decent, and bore is exc. Early rifle also. Can anyone tell me if this was a good price considering 7.7 ammo almost extinct, thanks.

2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Wheres some pics??? :)

3. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

I dont keep my safe in my apartment pics might take awhile. Sorry.

4. Milsurpshooter60

Milsurpshooter60 New Member

7.7 jap is not extinct lol, hornady and norma offer it in 6.5 and 7.7, i have two myself lets see it please.and i load my own with the brass i have gotten from them loaded. brass is easily found and ammo is out there.

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

You can make 7.7 brass from .30-06

6. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

Ill take pictures this weekend with some detail; the only place i can fibd hornady 7.7 ammo is in cabelas catalog online and it is backordered are there any others that sell it, thanks.

7. drboompa

drboompa New Member

Try sportsman guide.com. That is where I got mine.

8. Milsurpshooter60

shop around my man its out there and plentiful ,mom and pops gun stores are best or just order from the net , wideners,has it sg,midwayusa,brownells, ctd, lots of ammo for the jap rifles and easily made like the man said from 06 brass if ya have to but ya dont it is out there.

9. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Good luck finding any 7.7 Jap.......................But you can find Brass, Bullets & Powder just about every where, so I would suggest reloading.

11. Milsurpshooter60

Was just at cabela,s .wv store near wheeling ,walked out with 4 boxes of hornady 7.7 jap for the brass so much for that.And if you shop around like wideners,cabela,s,and others i have mentioned plenty of 7.7 jap out there allready loaded with reloadable brass.And more comes in from Hornady every day.

12. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

I went to our cabelas in rogers, mn; they had every metric cal they make, except for 6.5 and 7.7 japanese ammo, go figure. I guess I'll take some road trips and check other places.

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

You guys gotta remember.... The Arisaka hasnt been in service for over 50 years.. And most of those were dumped into Tokyo Bay.
    7.7 Jap is probably one of the shortest lived military cartridges and never became a popular hunting round...

14. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

That really sucks such a waste of good surplus!

15. string1946

string1946 New Member

Arisaka value

The 6th edition of the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms gives a value for a Arisaka type 99 short rifle as: Exc. $500, V.G. $375, Good $300, Fair $125, Poor $75. That assumes matching matching numbers and an intact mum. For whatever thats worth.

16. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

Thanks for the updated pricing, since the rifle is all mathing with mum and in id say very good shape, id say $300 was a good price.

17. xring3

xring3 Member

That is a good price...I dropped out of the bidding at a farm auction for a type 99 in like new condition with all parts attached at $300.00 and that was 10 years ago.

18. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

Wow, now im not sure if i should shoot it, bore is near mint and i found only one box of ammo for $35 at a recent gun show.