Gun Shop still Demoing your gun during 5 day wait period

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by galapogos, May 6, 2012.

1. It's cool

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  2. No, absolutely not.

56 vote(s)
    98.2%
  1. galapogos

galapogos New Member

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some thoughts about gun dealers that continue to demo with your hand gun after you have paid for it during the 5 day wait period.

Cool or not?

Personally, I'd rather not have my new purchase used as a demo for their other customers during my 5 day wait, but maybe I'm just being too picky?

2. Polygon

Polygon New Member

In my opinion, that's not cool as you've paid for it.

3. leftoverture

leftoverture New Member

No wait period in MN.

4. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

There is no waiting period in ID.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Find a new gun shop!

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Once you have paid for it, it is no longer theirs. Leave on display, maybe. Hand it to other people NO.

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Oklahoma doesnt have a waiting period either but...Hell no its not cool, i dont want grimey fingerprints all over my gun whenever i get it. Body oil can stain the finish or cause rust if left on there, and demo guns get fingered... ALOT

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

In AZ it is a moot point but I usually ask if they have a fresh in box one and buy that if they do. Once I buy it, I dont want anyone else handling it.

9. TNBlackSheep

TNBlackSheep New Member

Definitely not cool. I pay for it, it's mine, take it off the shelf.

10. vincent

vincent New Member

5 day wait??? :eek: Garbage!! :mad: Get your money back and tell them to go pound sand, not cool at all to keep it on display...:mad:

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Not cool. It should be locked up until you take possession. I only ever waited for 1 gun, "got my CCW shortly buying it so no more waiting" but that first dealer immediately put it in his safe after I paid for it. He explained this was policy because they did not want the risk of an unsatisfied customer picking up a gun that was dropped, dinged or scratched by someone else.

Good Policy

Tack

12. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Agreed. I would be pissed. I'd tell them to give me my money back and I'm going elsewhere. I've seen people hold display guns at shops and dry fire them until they say no more. I would be mad if someone was dry firing mine then the firing pin broke when I take her home. I ALWAYS ask for a brand new one in the back and check the serial number.

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Furthermore...I make friends remove all rings, even wedding bands before they can shoot my collection. Wedding bands leave tell tale ware marks on metal front straps and any ring can scratch a slide while racking a pistol.

Tack

14. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Display - OK, hard to stop but once sold, it is now your property and should only be handled or dry fired w your permission. I don't know how gun shops get away w it.

A friend even had a gun store sell his gun while waiting for his permit to go through. They sold his HK USP full size and gave him a HK USP Compact when his permit came through. I always thought it was downright sneaky from an otherwise reputable dealer.

15. Nch22000

Nch22000 New Member

What kind of marks? Im curious cause gold is real soft (like fingernail soft) diamond would mar a slide I guess. I have never even thought about is and don't take similar precautions with my firearms. Maybe I should start watching out for this.

As for the shop letting somebody else handle your pistol I'd demand a replacement or a refund. Even if it was the display before you purchased it it is yours now...

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I've seen sweat literally burn a fingerprint into gun bluing.

Perhaps a high salt content. I would be upset if a purchased

gun came to me with marks or damage not originally agreed

upon at point of sale..

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree, not cool at all. i would take my business elsewhere. what if someone drops it and breaks something on it? i'm glad you can take them home right then here in Texas.

18. glock22gen3

glock22gen3 New Member

My friend won't sell you the gun on display. He gets one out of the back room.

19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Good point. I never thought of that. I don't wear much jewelry but I'll have to watch out for that.

When I bought my Sig P238 Lady the only one left was the display model. They took it out of the display case and put it in it's storage case and set it aside as we have a 3 day wait period in Illinois. The salesman did look to see if they had an unopened one in the back but the only one left was the display. I am very happy with my gun. She is beautiful and fires great. :D

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I feel like if they took your money the gun is yours. I would be pissed if it was me.

You should move to Colorado. I dont normally wait more than a couple hours on a bad day. I have walked out with a gun in under an hour on good ones.