Gun Safety......

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by Dallas53, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

not the gun safety you might have been expecting, and might have thought i had lost my marbles, and posted in the wrong section of the forum! nope, i'm still in full control of my senses, and would like to discuss gun safety, or how it applies here.

i'd like to deal with realities and practical solutions to this subject. what would apply or be used by the vast majority of gun owners to secure, or keep secure their firearms. like to deal with what i consider real world, common man approaches to this subject.

a large gun safe si by far the best storage device for your guns. and if one buys a quality gun safe, they can be reasonably sure if they return home to find their residence has been burgled, that their guns are more than likely, to be still be there. but, unfortunately, a safe is not for everyone for many various reasons. renting, lack of space, or other factors that preclude buying and using a safe. so what is the other alternative? concealment is good one for sure. i really won't go into a lot of detail in this post and will expand on that concept later on, further into the thread. but a burglar can't steal, what they don't know is there! so yes, concealment IMO is a viable option.

also let's deal with what happens, if you come home, and find all of your guns gone and out in the wind, because some low-life, pond scum sucking POS thief, decided to "borrow" your guns to finance his bad habits, whatever that they may be? well, good homeowners insurance is something i consider to be mandatory, if not essential. the chances of getting your guns back, are slim and none. just look at the statistics fo those recovered, and returned to their rightful owners. dismal recovery record. so what does a person do? insurance! lots of insurance. detailed records to be able to prove to the insurance company if you have to make a claim. pictures and and even video, along with having them appraised by a good gun shop if they are collectable guns that exceed the normal market values for the same type guns. i personally like to use a USB flash drive top keep such records. i also maintain and update copies kept with insurance agent in my files. along with pictures of the guns and also, don't forget to add in the accessories, like scopes or anything else that increases the relative value of the gun.

well, that should be good for a start and more to follow later! :)

Ross82, RJF22553 and 67stingray like this.
  2. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Well, I'll start in. As Dallas said, "what would apply or be used by the vast majority of gun owners to secure, or keep secure their firearms. like to deal with what i consider real world, common man approaches to this subject."

I make no bones about it: I am a hoarder. I usually can't bear to part with a perfectly good cardboard box, a coffee container, piece of electronics, etc. I have a decent-sized house and a large "shop" (aka "ToyBox") that abhor open space. Any burglar would have sensory-overload (as I do sometimes when I'm looking for something)...

My wife and I are fully retired and it is on VERY rare occasion both of us are away from the house/farm. Doors are locked, there is a gate with posted "No Trespassing - Keep Out" and "Beware of Dog" signs, and the gate is locked each night. No kids in the house, so no real need to use a gun safe or gun locks. So guns are stashed throughout the house and the barn area, loaded and ready for use. While I frequently have difficulty finding a particular item or tool among the clutter ("treasures"), firearms are a completely different matter. Out-of-sight (usually) but with easy access, depending on where I or my wife is at the time. There are five firearms within ten feet of me as I write this (two pistols and two carbines and a bolt gun) in the barn area that an intruder would take hours searching for. He/she would most likely be interested in stereos, computers, tools, etc.

The house is similar: various weapons scattered about, but concealed among the "clutter". There are plenty other things that would interest an intruder that are visible.

Neither of us "travel": there is almost always someone home 24/7, and always both of us at home at night. So for us, a gun safe doesn't work: we want ready access in the event the unthinkable happens...

As long as we have our horses and barn cats to care for, we won't be traveling or away overnight (or during the day - mostly). and we have nosy neighbors who are well armed...

Should we ever get to the point of traveling (making sure to stay in the left lane at the speed limit with our left turn signal on), then we might invest in a big darn safe for the firearms, valuables, and documents. It would need to be fire-safe. I hate digital (keypad) combo locks that require batteries and melt in a fire, so that narrows down things. Nonetheless, some day, I may get there, when we get a "Winnie" and travel the U.S... Probably won't happen...

Dallas53 likes this.

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Dallas, although I have a couple of commercial safes, they are only "safe" from very amateurish thieves. I have mine built in to the walls with only the doors exposed. That may intimidate some thieves, but it is meaningless. Drywall and studs just don't amount to much of a barrier. I don't think that there is a commercial, stamped steel, gun safe that I couldn't get into in ten or twenty minutes. I would never attack the door and I would use power tools and plug them into the owner's juice. (I might leave him a buck for the power)

The best protection for your stuff is a couple of big, territorial dogs. Thieves don't like dogs and will go to your neighbor's house instead of dealing with them.

I try to keep my guns safe from kids, not from dedicated crooks.

Dallas53 likes this.
  4. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

safe's, for the most part, i believe that their price point usually is an indicator of just how hard they will be to breach! as they say, buy once, and cry once! most safes available to the average consumer, can be defeated, by a determined thief. the factor here is time. think of you home's security as layers. adding more layers, adds more time that a thief is going to need to defeat your systems, in order to make it to the treasure. the more layers, and the more time needed, will deter an amateur thie3f just looking for a quick score.

securing the safe, as best as possible, is also a very good idea. concrete floors and using anchors would IMO be the best option, but wall studs, or wood floor joists are better than nothing IMO. but this would be determined by the weight of the safe and it's contents. this also works to the advantage of the homeowner. it increases the time needed to steal the safe due to it's weight, but it also makes it an attractive target to thieves, wondering just what treasures might be inside.

dogs. i have long held the belief that a dog is one of the best deterrents to a thief there is. and what i have stressed is a barking dog, rather than an aggressive dog is much better and preferred IMO. don't forget, a dog can be a huge liability and yes, even thieves who broke into a home that were bitten by an aggressive dog sued, and won a lawsuit against the homeowner. yeah, it sucks that it happens, but, remember it can happen. check you state laws to see how much you are liable for in such instances. personally, i have taught my dogs to just bury the dead bodies and not say anything!

Balota and Fred_G like this.