Gun Safes

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by blucoondawg, Feb 5, 2012.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I'm gonna be in the market for a gun safe soon, I'm mostly looking for fire protection and protections from your average idiot thief, in my area we don't have too many professional safe crackers going house to house to steal stuff. What brands do you guys/gals prefer? I would like to stick with made in USA also.

2. fmj

fmj Active Member

I have looked at Cannon, Liberty, Winchester and Browning safes.

Cannon is probably what i will purchase but Liberty is running a close second.

I have a Sentry non-fire rated safe at the moment and it has served me well the past decade+.

3. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I was checking out the Liberty website also, now I will check out Cannon, thanks.

4. vincent

vincent New Member

Here's one similar to mine...

http://www.championsafe.com/products_model-t.html

I think it was around $800 delivered...and INSTALLED <--(key word right there) I'm totally happy with it.

Most places around here say they deliver which is to say the drop it on your property, good luck humpin 500 pounds of safe into position...:eek:...so unless you know you can do it yourself, make sure the word "installed" is mentioned. It took 4 guys to get mine up 5 stairs and into place, they set up the shelving, handles and made sure I knew how to work the lock.

5. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I've had a Liberty for 8 years now with no problems and I believe the've got the best warranty out there. No only do they replace your safe if it's damaged by a burglar. They cover the contents if it's successfully breached.

Can't beat that with a stick.

Tack

7. fmj

fmj Active Member

Canon has a similar warranty. This is what has these two in the lead with me. The only difference between the two that has Cannon in the lead is the factory installed power point. Liberty offers the feature but at an extra cost to purchase and have installed by the dealer.

Browning, Winchesters and others all have "limited" warranties.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

FYI

If you place your safe on concrete make sure you've got an Impermiable rubber mat between the floor and the steel. Concrete slabs take about 100 years to fully cure and the moisture off gassing WILL rust out the bottom of a safe.

Tack

9. joehawk

joehawk New Member

Cannon is the way to go if you want to have security cameras networked with the PC protected inside. IMHO

10. fmj

fmj Active Member

We (Trip and I) were just having this discussion over on another thread about WHY one would want an ethernet and usb port along with power oulet in the safe.

Again, this is why Cannon is leading in my considerations of which brand to purchase.

11. joehawk

joehawk New Member

Great conclusion.

12. joehawk

joehawk New Member

I look at the tech. side of the investment with security. I sleep better.

13. joehawk

joehawk New Member

Plus that damn warranty just clinches it!

14. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Amsec are the best overall for gun safes.

Canon make great safes don't get me wrong.

Or if you want the best safe money can buy and are willing to pay for that quality. Graffunder is hands down the winner.

http://www.graffundersafes.com/

15. historydoc

historydoc New Member

16. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Check out Costco. They have some good buys. Not real prettty, but low cost and appear strong.

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have a Liberty Centurion that I picked up a little over a year ago. I think I paid about $600 for it.

18. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

After doing allot of research and checking around, the Liberty Fat Boy fitted my budget and needs. At 880 lbs. I paid the extra $225.00 to have it placed where I wanted. I had to take off and reinstall the door frames myself though, to get it in.

Oh yes, buy a safe at least twice the size you need. They fill up fast.

[​IMG][/IMG]

19. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I purchased the Cabelas signiture 50 last year after buying one way to small the previous year. ( made by Liberty ) Maybe the libertys others were looking at were the cheaper model. Mine has the power point inside and the deluxe door panel storage system with a cool pocket for important papers and documents. I did pay 2k for it but well worth it IMO.

Like stated before, get one bigger than you need cause it sucks when they fill up and you are out of space. I would also get some help, mine was almost 1100 lbs and really a bear to get inside.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Signature-Series-Premium-DS-Gun-Safes-by-Liberty/751858.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104730480%3Bcat109548180

20. fmj

fmj Active Member

Big R has the fat boys (48 gun, 60.5"x42"x22") for $1000 + $35 for the outlet.

Tractor supply has Cannon ("36 gun" 60"x40"x26") for $1000 power outlet already installed.