Gun safe

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by SmithKid308, Nov 14, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

What is a good gun safe that at a reasonable price , has fire protection , and had a lot of room , under 700$

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

If you have a Menard's near you, they are putting an "Executive/Gun Safe" on sale Black Friday. $399 that is regular $800.

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Costco sells a winchester gun safe, 14 guns, fireproof safe for $499.

5. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

i was at cabelas last weekend stalking bows when i past a nice 14 gun safe 59"x21"x19".....liberty centurion..it was tagged $529.00...just as i was about to walk away another fella in a green bay sweatshirt:mad: strolled up....
    "thats a nice safe there" he said..."but i just picked the same one up at lowes yesterday for $350.00"......"if you're interested, you should check lowes..."

despite his NFL shortcomings i promptly thanked him and we went about our shopping...i ordered the safe from lowes later that night with some other items, but safe was otd $397.00.

6. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Check out Costco. They had some good choices. The one below is like $650. It looks pretty secure and a whole lot better built than those cheap locker style lock boxes.

[​IMG]

7. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

several stores are putting gun safes on sale black friday. I'm eyeing the one at Dick's Sporting Goods.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

You may also want to look at the "Cannon" brand. I have looked at several of them and thought they were good bargains.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Not to sound tooooo paranoid, but i wish mine had a manual/non-electronic lock, something to consider when shopping. I do figure mine will make great cover in a home invasion. :)

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

So, tell me, with the electronic locks, if the battery goes dead, or the circuit board blows, is there another way to open the safe?

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The circuit board detaches from the safe, just twist it counter-clockwise and it comes off. That's how you change the batteries. You can also change out the keypad as well but there is no way of opening the safe short of drilling it if the internal circuit board gets fried. If there is an EMP you are screwed and have no guns! All of the safes I have seen these days have some cheesy pot metal dial that feels like a $2 Tiajuana wristwatch or the digital version. I asked a guy at a gun show what would happen to the lock mechanism on their fireproof safe in a house fire. He said it would melt down and the safe would have to be drilled.:eek: I mean, what the Hell good is that???? OK, your guns might have survived the fire, but you can't get to them?

My safes are all old brass tumbler locks. I wouldn't buy one of these newer safes.

12. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Most modern safes with fire protection are good for one fire. These safes use a melting gasket to seal the safe during the fire and this protects the contents. Once the gasket melts, the safe need to be replaced. Same goes for the digital locking mechanisms.

Yeah, I bet getting a burnt safe open will require finesse with a big drill.