Gun Safe or FEMA Retreat?

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by TekGreg, Apr 25, 2014.

1. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I found Vault Pro USA mentioned in a magazine and was amazed that their products, which could be either a huge gun vault or a small FEMA shelter, is using a modular construction that could be added to an existing structure, be standalone, and could be conceivably expanded in the future, unlike standard safes. The cost is the same as a large safe, but it seems to offer much more.

Has anyone either bought this product, or witnessed it in person? What is the quality, fit and finish like? Really curious if it's as strong as it looks and as easy to assemble as they say.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Looks interesting... Wonder if one could custom order the size to fill and existing room?

3. adirondack

adirondack New Member

What a great idea. With this design, you don't have to leave your vault behind when you sell your home.

4. TekGreg

Tack, they say it fits existing rooms, so my assumption is yes. That is one reason I was hoping someone had experience with it.

5. TekGreg

As well as the fact that you don't have to hire longshoremen to move it! If it breaks down into modular pieces, two guys and a pickup should be able to move it in pieces and re-assemble it. There are all sorts of ways this is better than a safe and worth the extra cost, IF it's as good as they say.

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

To me, the main reason for a gun safe/vault is to prevent loss from theft and fire damage so heat resistance would be a major consideration.

7. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Don't know anything about these, but they look really nice.

the pro shelter looks like the ultimate Man cave.:D

good post!

8. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Interesting, my son’s best bud manufactures safe rooms – I will have to ask him his opinion on these and see what he has to say

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

For over $5,000 you would be well into an underground shelter. Your family might be better served by a row of gun cases in a walk in closet. You all would be protected from storm debris with just a quilt.

I have a closet with 2 safes and a locker in it. It is such a natural storm shelter the dog goes in the closet during a thunderstorm.

If you were building a house the storm shelter would be great. You could build a room with adequate bracing to ride out a tornado in a tin can.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

very true. what a lot of people don't realize is that even a so-called fireproof safe is anything but fireproof in a total loss fire of a house or building most cases. most are only rated for so many degress at a certain amount of time. in a total loss fire, everything in the safe is going to be toast.

most safes are good for saving their contents if the fire dept. shows up in the early stages of the fire. but if they show up and it's fully involved, or they show up after it's been going for while, they many times don't really try and save the structure, but try and prevent it from spreading to nearby structures and keep it contained and let it die down, before putting it out.

just something to consider, and to think about.

11. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

My boys bud said, he can look into them better if someone is really interested in one. But just commenting from a quick look - they look pretty good. He said "storm shelters" to get certification, go through very rigorous testing and he has seen some homemade ones where debris has penetrated through the sides. He says it sounds crazy, but it can and has happened. He said, something is better than nothing though... usually, anyway.

12. TekGreg

Deg, thanks for looking into it. I'll let you know if anyone I know is going to shell out cash for one. Since they look good and affordable I'm assuming there will be some interest.

Axxe, of course your right about the fire rating. It's usually between 800-1500 degrees for 30 minutes to two hours. Knowing how well it can handle fire is a way to determine where it should be placed. For the sake of fire, being placed on an outside wall, or in a basement with cement on two or three sides can help protect it from long-term excessive heat. Also, if you can contact the fire captain, it's sometimes possible to direct water onto a certain spot if the fire company knows of the safe's existence. Anything to lessen time or temperature means your goodies will survive the inferno better!