Gun safe light no longer works

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by jammer, Dec 6, 2018.

1. jammer

jammer Member Supporter

Howdy everyone, I have a Browning Prestige 39 gun safe and the lights have quit working. I've had this safe for about 4 years. I have a dehumidifier plugged into the same outlet inside the safe, and it is working so the ac is OK. It is supposed to come on when the door opens but it doesn't work anymore. This light kit was in the safe when I bought it new.
    It's hard to trace the wires as they go behind the inside panels. Any ideas or has anyone had a similar problem?

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jammer
    When the door opens is it turned on by motion or a switch?
    If it has the small black box plugged into the wall socket you might get a tester and assure the power is being transferred to the light assembly. Obviously if the motion unit stopped working its a new light unit. Hopefully that is not it. But a Tester will reveal the problem.
    Or they do make LED Battery Powered units that are also available for Safe Applications.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

How do you know the light only comes on when the door is open? :p

kfox75 and Pasquanel like this.
  4. jammer

jammer Member Supporter

Thanks Sniper03,
    The light is turned on by the motion of the door. There is a sensor at the bottom of the safe. I'll get a VOM and check. It has a plug in transformer with the wires running under the bottom panel and up the sides where the lights are located. It's gonna take a few days to get time to empty the safe enough to check it out. I'll let you know what I find out.
    Thanks again.

I wonder "where does the light go when it goes out"?

5. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

Wish I had a gun safe big enough, full enough that it would "take a few days to empty out" :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    BVAL, towboater and schnuffleupagus like this.
  6. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

12v LED system. With motion sensor.
    Weak links in this type of system is the motion sensor and the rectifier/transfofmer combination (commonly referred to as "power supply") both because of the post manufacturing handling required by the safe assembly processes.
    - connections to motion sensor
    Both power in and power out (post switch)
    - connections to power supply
    Both power in and power out
    Brownings owner manual is weak on troubleshooting.
    Did you ever "smack" the sensor while transitioning a weapon to/from the safe?

7. jammer

jammer Member Supporter

Thanks everybody, I figured it out. My ac adapter quit working. I found and old ac adapter that went to a router/modem and hooked it up temporarily until my Amazon order comes in.
    Thanks for the interest in my problem and thanks for the help!!

kfox75 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  8. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Glad you got it fixed. But for anyone wanting to install a light in their safe I tried something that works very well. It is an LED wall switch, battery powered with built in LED's.
    I used double sided tape and stuck it to the top of the safe. They are very bright and use a couple of batteries and cost usually $2-3. You see then often at the checkouts in hardware of big box stores. The bigger the safe, the more you can use. It has worked out great for me.

9. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I use them free magnetic lights harbor fright gives out. With the coupons that come in the flyers.

schnuffleupagus, JTJ and kfox75 like this.
  10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

11. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I recently switched to these as well. Much more convenient to service, and it's easy enough to keep some rechargable AAAs on hand. Also use one for the front porch, as it didn't have a light when we moved in here.

And they are more than bright enough to run just one in each safe.

yep, got a few of those around here, and I used to use them with the locker type storage. Keep one in each set of saddle bags as well, for roadside emergencies.

12. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

I got an old school red state version with 24 LEDs.
    20191025_180028.jpg

Rifling82 and kfox75 like this.
  13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Those blue HF lights are really good. I probably have a dozen of them spread out all over the house and in the vehicles. Cant beat the price.

kfox75 likes this.