Gun Room / Man Cave

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by AusLach, Jul 24, 2011.

1. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Hey guys, I'm just about to get started on reloading so I thought I'd throw up a few pics of my bench. A few of my mates and I went in together to buy the Lyman T Mag Expert Kit, and it's been set up in an 8x8m lockable shed. The shed has got no windows or ventilation thus far other than the door so it gets pretty warm in there during the afternoon but we're soon to install a window-rattler which will hopefully rectify that problem. There's still another safe to be moved in for some more rifles (the .25-06 won't even fit in this one :eek:) and the bench has still got to be bolted down but other than that it's looking pretty good I reckon. Long term plans include a display cabinet or horizontally-opposed gun rack on the left hand side wall as you look at the first picture and another bench to mount the gun vice. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That'll do. But it looks like you really need that air mover.

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Nice setup, better get air movement soon before it starts to smell like the cockpit of a B-52 in there. Yes I have been in a B-52 and they stink of sweat and ass.

4. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Thanks guys :)

I'll have to get a move on getting some ventilation in there; I cleaned some .25-06 cases the other day and the dust was shocking!

5. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Looks real nice!
    I am curious, Do you do all the work from a seated position? The only reason I ask is the powder thrower seems a little low.
    Best of luck!

6. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Thanks Brian. I haven't started loading yet but just by sitting at the bench I have noticed that the thrower will probably be too low. I think that I'll probably mount it on a block or something somehow to raise it up a bit.

Anyone have any ideas or pics to help me out??

7. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

My thrower mounts to the press, But I have a single stage.
    Looking at it I don't see why a block couldn't be used on top of the bench, Depending on what it is made out of, It may not need to be hard mounted, If it is heavy enough, It looks like Lyman makes a mount, But some people seem to think its made out of Silver... I also don't think it would be difficult to make your own mount, I am unsure how it attaches to the mount(bolted on vs. screwed into)

EDIT...

Mine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  8. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Thanks for the photo, nice set up :cool:

I'll have to have another look at it today after school, if anyone else has any ideas that'd help it'd be great.

9. opaww

opaww New Member

This is kind of how my bench is set up, with a few changes sense this pic was taken.

Attached Files:

10. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Cool looking set up Aus!
    I have the Lyman press too. I did however get rid of the primer arm and got a RCBS hand primer, seemed to me that the press was not designed to work in that direction for installing primers, but that is my humble opinion.

I have never used the powder thrower, I prefer to weigh it manually, but I am not a bulk re-loader. Just a hobby for me!

Yeah, get some A/C and add a fridge for the beer, and it doubles as a place to hide out from the Old Lady! :D

11. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Looks good opaww!

Thanks Gordo, my thoughts exactly! :D

I think I'll use the hand primer as well, after a bit of a play with it yesterday I realized it's a pain in the arse (do with it what you will freudian slippers :)) to prime the brass that way.

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Heres my new setup. Its all Redding and RCBS. I dont have a powder throw.. :( I got it from a benchrest shooter who weighed every round.. It takes longer but I guess its accurate.. The case prep center comes in handy making the Arisaka rounds though!..

Attached Files:

13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

This is mine. In order to save space, I mounted the powder measure and primer tool on 2x4s that slide in and out of the black clamp you can see on the back of the table, right center. It works well and really saves me a lot of space. You can see the 2x4s on the shelves on the left.

[​IMG]

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Aus,Lach

Great start! One thing I did think of you need to get some desiccant in the safe ASAP. Also you could make just a box type shelf on top at the rear of your bench to attach your powder charger to it. You will need a scale of some type if you do not have one. But looks good and with the upgrades you mentioned that will be great. Just keep it as dry as possible in there. A little cold will not hurt!:D

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Oppaw & Lon,

Now those are some nice benches! I am envious!:D

16. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

Here is my room

The room is crowded but effecient. There is also a closet within the room that acts as an ammo and component bunker.As you look into the room on the left hand side is the reloading bench that wraps around to the back side of the room. There is a RCBS Rock Chucker, a Dillon550, a Redding Turret and a RCBS Partner press that is just for decapping brass. Shelves wrap around above the bench and hold parts, books, dies etc. below the bench are storage containers for brass and other equipment. A pegboard holds tools. In the center of the room is an island work bench (cluttered as you can see). The right side of the room is the gun racks. rifles along the bottom and in the center of the right side wall flanked by semi-auto handguns on the right and revolvers on the left.
    [/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

17. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Now you are just bragging. Seriously though, great looking set-up.

18. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

Thanks. Took 40 years to get to this, so just like to show it off. Hopefully it will inspire younger people to get involved as well.:)

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Day-yum!!! Nice collection. You reload for all those calibers? You must have fifty die sets!

20. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

Everything except for the rim fires.:D Reloading to me is as fun as the shooting. Wish I had more time but can't retire just yet. Took up prarie dog shooting about 11 years ago and so mass loading of 22 centerfires and wildcats became a requirement. Been going to Montana and South Dakota every year for a 3-4 day shoot, usually averages about 300 rounds per day. First few trips I was shooting more than that daily but as I became more interested in the longer range aspect of the shoot and wanted to clean less barrels while shooting I reduced to 300 per day tops. Can't beat the fun factor.