Gun Room Floor

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Anch368, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Anch368

Anch368 New Member

Hey all couldn't find another area to put this so here it is. I purchased a house that has an extra bedroom 10 x 10 that the wife has approved a gun room:D:D:D So I have the entire room layout pretty much set to include a huge bench that will have a gun cleaning section, reloading, and assembling areas. I am building a venting table and hood for tumbling to keep lead dust out of the room completely. However, the floor is currently carpeted, not ideal for this type of room. I have no idea what to put down though. I looked at the rubber tiles which would have been nice in case of dropping things and it doesn't absorb lead or anything, however cleaning it would be taxing, having to mop it every time I want to clean it. So what I am looking for is if you had a gun room what would you put down for the floor. Something that will naturally repel dusts and be easy to clean. Not to mention I want it to look cool and go pretty well with what the room is gonna be used for. This room is on the second floor so things like concrete are out of the question. Let me know and if you have pics post away. Thanks guys!

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

You could go with an engineered wood floor - easy to install, easy to maintain. Or how about a cheapo sheet vinyl floor - easy to clean up and cheap, can be pulled and tossed for a nicer flooring material later on

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

another option is the newer cork flooring material. or maybe bamboo wood flooring.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

when weather is dry and cold (winter) i take great care when reloading to frequently anti-static myself. static charge is enough to ignite a primer or loose powder. be sure before you load a single round to remove that carpet asap. it can get you seriously hurt from static buildup. even if you havent decided on the flooring yet just bare whatever is better(safer) than carpeting

5. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I would go with a wood or bamboo laminate floor. It is easy to install and cleans easily and looks good.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As a side note:
    Because most parts are of a darker color, consider going with a light colored material for the floor.
    It helps to find that dern spring that jumped out.

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

I say light colored wood or laminate floor. Or vinyl

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I like the concrete myself ...

10. Anch368

Anch368 New Member

Thanks for all the input guys I was looking at the cork that might be something different and wood laminate will more than likely be the final outcome. Thanks for all the input! Especially on static electricity. I have already removed the carpet so no blowing up the room. Thanks!

11. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

As a former computer tech there are vinyl floors that are non conductive. I have metal conduit in my gun room that is well grounded and I just have to touch it to discharge before handling any of my reloading stuff. Light colored as well to find parts that fly.

12. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I would go with a high quality bamboo floor over a laminate floor. All it takes is for you to drop your bolt or slide and the laminate is dinged and then it will just melt and fall apart.

What ever you get get one of these Steam Mop and sweeper in one. I got one for my hardwood and it does a great job.

13. Anch368

Anch368 New Member

Thanks for all the replies! I went to Lowes yesterday and took a look at the rubber tiles they have and really like them I would probebly get it in beige so that pesky springs are easy to locate... You think rubber would be a problem? I figured its the best option and I am definitely pickin up one of those steam mop and vacuums thanks for that tip!

14. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I have a gun room and love it, id rather have that over a man cave... but it prrtty much is my man cave. I have a table for cleaning and small mods, i have a mork bench for big stuff and reloading and a computer desk and i transformed the closet into a small armory. I have a safe inside but have all my mags, drums, and some accessories in the top shelf. Ammo on top of the safe and all my gear hanging up. Ill post pics tomorrow. Were some of a cery few that get that luxary

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Epoxy coat the concrete.

16. Anch368

Anch368 New Member

I know I can't wait to have it complete, we are extremely lucky. Will post pics when it is done!

17. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Me to got a little more work to, putting a light in my safe, and im adding some shelves to it.

18. tarbender

tarbender New Member

Still waiting on pics.

19. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Totally forgot its a mess but will post when its clean, heres a pic of my safe closet

ForumRunner_20121102_035436.jpg