gun related iPhone apps..??

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by icallshotgun88, Oct 20, 2013.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

hey ya'll...
    when I'm bored at work I often whip out my iPhone and peruse this forum. Then I realized, that's about all I do on my phone when I'm bored.

I thought it'd be nice to start a thread where we could recommend cool/fun firearms related apps (for those of us who use iPhones to cure boredom)...

The FirearmsTALK app for iPhone is built very well.

I also occasionally play Deer Hunter 2014..

...your turn

2. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

There's Tapatalk. You can view several forums like Gunboards.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Sheep canon is good for a short break once in a while.

4. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I would love to see iPhone 5 support for the firearms talk app.

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

it dose. That's what I'm on now

6. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

It works don't get me wrong but I don't get full screen though. It's the same size screen as my old iPhone 4S.

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have a folder + full of apps. I will post after I make a list. Two that I really like are intelliscope, which I don't mount on any gun(yet) but use as a ranger finder. There are also step by step take down apps with video for many handguns...was a major help when I bought my PP and our FEG Walther copies..

8. DrFootball

Also the Gun Digest eBooks app, and the Winchester Ballistics app... As well as NSSF's "find a range" app...

9. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I used to have some good apps on mine. It got wiped. I'll have to look at my iCloud and see if I can't find them again.

10. DrFootball

If you used your Computer(no matter the Platform,..any flavor of windows runs iTunes) To set up your Phone and did a local back up to your machine chances are it's in that back up too...I have to be very CAREFUL because i use my iTunes Account on 4 Computers(2 Desktops & two Laptops) plus 4 devices(his and hers iPhone4S's and her iPad 2 & my iPad Mini...) on the same account. I only use iCloud for certain things...,as I have Several Back up drives for the computers and a Back Up Raid server for the whole network...so my iCloud acct. is only 50GB...

11. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

All the apps are saved in the cloud and on the laptops. But they get jumbled up when I do a reset and I have to go in and sort them out. Last time I just djdnt feel like messing with it so I'm just using cloud to download them as I need them.

12. DrFootball

Cool. Totally understand, esp. Since I maintain our 8 computers and devices, plus my clients' various apple products...I have about a dozen folks here plus a few from back east I'm still doing by phone and FaceTime chat...including a 77 y.o. Retired ad exec. Who also taught part time. For 10 years as her consultant I begged her to get a digital camera instead of film and scanning prints....guess what she got the last time we had an in person session in December of 11? A Digital Camera...so for the last almost two years I have been teaching her iPhoto & Adobe Photoshop elements. She's finally for an iPhone...

I like to tell folks not to load down their iOs back ups with 100's or thousands of applications....and that for every app that 4.99 or more you can find one that does the same stuff for 2.99 or less...but back on topic....another great shooting related App shows me the carry laws for all 50 states... Called "CCW laws"....
    There is also one that will show you all the Gun shops and pawn shops that also have an FFL.....I think that one was .99...and the excellent my Gun DB,...which I also have and use on my Mac..
    I'm also experimenting with a Home design app to design a shooting range...

13. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

CCW Laws was one of them. I used it a lot in the summertime when I was helping chaperone teens on road trips across the country.

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

One of my favorite apps, which I actually use a fair amount, is called "CCW"

If you type in "CCW" it'll be the first one. Here's a link to it, actually - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ccw-concealed-carry-50-state/id443321291?mt=8

It gives a breakdown of all the gun laws for each state, including reciprocity and whatnot. Really there's a lot of great information in there, and its extremely easy to use. It only costs 99 cents. Best dollar I ever spent.

Another one (this one is free) is called "GolfGPS" It shows distance from where you are to where to select on the GPS. Might be nice for those of you worried about the end of the world and are trying to figure out how far it is from your backdoor to that tree. Here's a video about it. [ame]http://youtu.be/3IlBgBAGy0c[/ame] (I use those apps on the iPad)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  15. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I use GPS Kit. It's a $10 app and it lets you save satellite maps to the hard drive of your phone, calculate the distance between any two points, save breadcrumb trails and waypoints and broadcast your location on preset channels to other users of the app.

16. DrFootball

Garmin Base camp!! We have two Garmin GPS's. Base camp does exactly the same thing. In the escape we have "My Ford" set up but I never use the built in GPS. I take the "portable survival GPS" on the UATV....

17. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I bought a Garmin turn by turn app back when I had the 3G because I loved my Garmin GPSs that I used in my jeep and occasionally my unit. In fact dad had one of the first affordable handheld garmins that we always took camping when I was a kid. That was back when they were only accurate by like 200 meters on a good day.

The app was horrible! It wouldn't load the servers half the time, and it kept freezing in the middle of trips when it did.

Have they fixed their issues? I'm a big Garmin fan and I was really disappointed.

18. DrFootball

Not "Turn by turn"!! It's called Garmin Base Camp!! Much improved, but does depend on a solid Internet connection.

19. mahall

mahall New Member

I'm a podcast freak!! Generally they are free and you can download via the Apple Podcast app or other 3rd party apps! I prefer Downcast!! You can download a host of different podcast on a variety of subjects!! My favorite firearm podcast are "Gun World" and "The Gun show" very good, accurate info on many different topics pertaining to firearms! Good for folks always on the go but likes to be informed of new info!!

20. DrFootball

That's funny you mentioned that, because I have not said anything as of yet,..but now is as good a time as any to "break" the story: We will soon have a Podcast here. Yes, our very own FTF podcast. In fact,..I can tell you that 2 episodes are already "in the Can",....we're just waiting for the back end coding to be completed,..and we will be recording again this week as well.
    The Hosts are myself and Vikingdad, and we hope to be joined by TekGreg, and plan on guests( already in development) as well. I'll be starting a podcast thread shortly, and we'll also take topic suggestions, e-mails and such. Hope you'll be one of our listeners...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013