Gun range

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Simpleman, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Simpleman

Simpleman New Member

Ok y'all my father in law just made a gun range, but I was wondering what distance is it safe to shoot at a steel target I am tired of always shooting at paper. and what is the safest way to make it work? Plz help

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Lots of folks shoot as close at 7/10yds at steel. IIRC they use frangible ammo. A good idea would be to make the steel reactive/swing - maybe mount them to a spring base plate or suspended from a crossbar.

As always be safe :)

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Instead of steel, think about one of the rubberized spinners. My boy got one for Christmas and it is a lot of fun and safer than steel. The last steel spinner I looked at said a minimum of 100 yards. Don't know if that is legal BS they put on the box not to get sued but I haven't seen/heard anything come back off the rubberized one.

5. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Have to be careful with the steel at closer range, I caught a 22lr jacket to the nut sack at 10 yards.

6. Bushman

Bushman Member

I have a IPSC sized 1/2" thick silhouette I made and welded the mount to hold it a a 10 degree forward tilt. Regular FMJ .45 bullets work great at 15 yards plus. Always wear eye pro's.

7. Simpleman

Simpleman New Member

Thanks y'all for the tips I will look at the rubber ones. I was also looking at the gravity targets that fall as soon as the bullet strikes it.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Dang man! Is there a warranty on that rabbit's foot or what?

9. armoredman

armoredman Member

OUCH. Sounds familiar - had an extremely underpowered 38 bullet bounce back at a bowling pin match I was RO'ing once and nail me in the jewels. Dropped me like a rock, wasn't funny at the time, freaking hilarious now. I have that bullet around here somewhere, too.

I agree, rubber or other reactive target that doesn't promote bounce back, or angled falling plate style.