gun purchases

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Devin556, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

So where does everyone get their fix from? Do you buy at a local gun shop? Do you buy off the internet and have it shipped in? Or do you buy only from individuals as to keep your name off the paperwork? Just kinda curious what everyone's thoughts is.

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

A mix of internet vendors and local brick and mortar.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Mostly internet. I can find better deals on some guns even when you add together the shipping and transfer fee. I can also find what I want easier.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

I seem to have my best luck (or impulse buys) at "pawn & gun" places.

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i've done all three :)

6. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Mostly gun shows and word of mouth.

7. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

We try local, but availability normally leads to web auction purchases.

8. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I've always bought from individuals and gun shows mostly but that's only because of opportunity. I have atleast one person I week tell me they are selling a firearm. But I have bought from, and have a friend at a local gun store. I haven't ever bought online though. Just a random thought I had.

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Last 5 or so have been from the same LGS. Developing a good relationship and I do better than internet prices even if you don't include transfer fees. His selection is good and he'll have between 200-250 guns in stock at any given time.

10. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

if buying a new gun, i can almost always get it cheaper at local stores. sometimes the price may be $10 or $20 cheaper online after shipping & fees, but considering the waiting for them to receive payment & then waiting for it to be shipped, the hassle of getting payment & ffl copy & all that together, i'll buy local instead.

when i buy online it's usually because i either can't get what i'm lookin for locally or it's a used gun i can get a helluva lot cheaper than the local stores are asking for them.

11. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Local shops and private party sales. When it comes to firearms I'm very "hands on" with my purchases. If I don't see it, and can't handle it, I will usually pass on it. Kind of hard to verify condition when you can't inspect it in person, and you van't always bu sure if the picture you are looking at is the real deal.

12. steve666

steve666 New Member

Usually my purchases are either at a Gun Show or from the Internet.

13. Donn

Donn Active Member

To answer your question, LGS. I've done business there several years, they take care of me. Till that changes, that's where I'll buy. I am curious about your last line, Devin. Here in Michigan, we still have to submit all the required paperwork with state and local authorities even if a handgun's purchased from an individual.

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The last couple new guns I purchased online. I own several guns now. When I purchase a new gun it has to be exactly what I want. The best deals on used guns always seem to come to me.

15. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I like to frequent the local gun shop to do my purchasing. I like to see and hold what I am buying. I hear a lot of people who complain that they didnt get what was in the description of the firearm online. I rather not pay the extra $$ for shipping and transfer when I can drive 15 minutes to get what I want. Besides ... going into the LGS is like going into the candy store for me! :)

16. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I live in Alabama, sorry, I always forget not everywhere has the same laws as us. Here we do not have to register any firearms at all because it isn't the citizens responsibility. If you buy from a ffl they ate required to register all firearms they sale but if I go out and pick one up from an individual I am not required to register it. So far only 2 of the guns I own are registered because I bought them from a gun store. The rest are between me and god.

17. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I buy from my local Mom and Pop type gun store. It's a little cluttered, there's a grumpy old dude there but it feels like home. In the past year I have bought 6 or 7 guns from them. They always treat me right and a re happy to shoot the breeze, as long as it's not crazy busy.

18. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Mostly lgs for me, although I have done the internet thing for accessories, never bought a gun over the interwebs tho. I have a pretty good lgs in my hometown, plus I can drive to nearby larger metro area where I work (kentuckiana area), there are about 4 more lgs and a bass pro shop.

I also buy private party too, if a good deal comes along.