Gun Project Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Rifling82, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Come on Gunsmiths, show us what you've been working on

2. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

L1110581 (1024x576).jpg A couple of raw 80's behind the Les Paul Copy..

Rifling82 likes this.

3. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

For several years now, and as time becomes available, I've been experimenting with compensators for .22 rimfire pistols that actually work. There are some who say that there's not enough "gas" available to have a compensator work well enough to counter-act muzzle flip. Oh yes there is! It's certainly NOT as much as what's involved with a .38 Super round, but there is enough gas available, that if directed properly, will help to reduce muzzle flip.
    [​IMG]
    I've been working on exhaust port diameter size and position, to get the escaping gasses working in a beneficial direction to "jet" those gasses properly. Despite what some folks claim, huge slots, or ports that surround the periphery of a compensator don't do much.
    It's much similar to a garden hose. Without a nozzle on the hose the water comes out without much force, but when restriction is added to the end of the hose to reduce the stream size there's more force involved.
    Now that I have a camera whereby I can film in slow motion, I should be able to capture how the gas escapes from the ports and also, what effect that has on counteracting muzzle flip............or not.

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The British did a very good job with the suppressor for the Sten Gun. It had baffles spaced every bullet diameter, with two holes of slightly less than the bullet diameter, with a helical orientation equal to, but opposite to the barrel twist rate. The plates, and spacers, were indexed, and numbered, so the suppressor could disassembled, cleaned, and then reassembled. Pretty simple really

5. SGWGunsmith

The above picture shows a "compensator" blank that I was experimenting with until I found the result I was looking for. The ports and their locations are obviously not yet installed.
    I wasn't trying to suppress this pistol with the device screwed onto the end of the barrel above, that's what I have this extension for:
    [​IMG]
    I was bound and determined to get this pistol to have CCI Quiet ammunition function perfectly with this suppressor attached. I even went so far as to mill/drill a Ruger Mark bolt to get the weight down as low as I could safely get it, still a no-go. So, I came up with an aluminum bolt that is less than half of what a Ruger Mark "steel" bolt weighs and that did the trick. CCI Quiet ammunition now functions flawlessly and the only sound made is the bolt coming back and meeting the breech face. Kinda neat shooting this pistol without needing to wear muffs.

AZdave, SWSinTN and Rifling82 like this.
  6. SGWGunsmith

Need to mill a slot and do a through hole for a receiver tang on a couple of 10/22 receivers this morning.
    The fixture I made took a couple of hours to machine, but it really helps me to control the "six degrees of freedom" to get the receiver positioned how I need it to be in the X & Y axis'.

[​IMG]

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

If you didn't know this is the Bernoulli Principle. Fluid dynamics can be quite complex. A college class unused by me except with the garden hose.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle