gun oil.

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by kryptar19, Feb 17, 2012.

1. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I use rem oil and rem oil only. I just like the stuff and the prices arnt bad.
    Now how much should I have stocked up at all times? This queation is geared toward shtf.

2. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Rem oil???? Why its to thin an collects dust, I use M pro 7 good stuff a lil goes along way but shtf I would guess about a quart should last a really long time

3. Frank827

Frank827 New Member

I agree with mulie, it's a very thin weak oil. I used it when I started carrying and I'd leave my gun in the hot car even for only a while it would completely evaporate. Even over time in room temperature.

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Rem oil is just easy to get ahold of and it has always worked for my. I just use a little bit after I clean my guns and it works fine. Ain't had problems with it since I started using it. Thank you for the info!

5. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Just a personal thing dont get me wrong lots of folks use it an its just fine

6. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

The topic of oil has been beaten to death on gun forums.
    The type of oil a shooter uses depends on the environment the gun is used in.
    The amount of oil a shooter uses depends on the number of rounds the gun is going to shoot.

Each shooter has his/her own preference.
    Some like Rem, Hoppe's, MilPro, Trans Fluid, Moble One, or any ol' engine oil.
    I prefer to oil the trigger assembly with PB Blaster, and grease the slide with Tetra.

Some shooters have a special mix of stuff they swear by.
    To each shooter it’s a matter of choice.

The most important fact is for the gun to be oiled.
    If the gun is going to be fired a lot then any ol' oil will do...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Slip2000 EWL

Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 works good too

8. Immortal4419

Immortal4419 New Member

Mil Tec is the best I have ever used yet. Stuff is fantastic. I use it on MY 249 and my M4 here in Afghanistan. Great lubrication/protective coating as well as it does not attract dust.

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

To answer the original question - You can keep some extra on hand but don't worry to much about it. Like the other posters have said you CAN use about any oil product.

10. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Thanks for all the info guys!!

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I like Rem-oil (purchased in big cans at auto supply stores -- 2/3rds the price of gun shops in a different can!) on internal mechanisms. Light and includes teflon -- hello! A big can lasts a lifetime to begin with -- get two if you want. I am better at using the spray cans to get a microdot of oil where I want it than with the stupid Remington little oil bottle and straw.

Outside I prefer wiping them down with silicone I've put onto a cloth -- electrical sprays (let the cloth dry before applying to gun) and tile grout liquid are silicone.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012