Gun maintenance box

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by cbw, Dec 22, 2008.

1. cbw

cbw New Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for a cleaning or maintenance box for pistols and rifles to keep all my bore snakes, Hoppes, Slicker, patches, small rods, and other gun related stuff that tends to get misplace around the house. I've looked at tackle boxes, but come on this is for gun stuff! The web has some wooden ones which in most of the reviews people are worried about moisture. I have also found the Fkambeau's Gun Maintenance Box which has mixed reviews and I cannot find out if the vice will hold a pistol. (which is my primary cleaning objective). Any feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I easily get by with my Winchester pad on the table, but I would like to have all of my cleaning supplies in one place. Ideas?

2. Jay

Jay New Member

Visit your local sporting goods store and pick up which ever Plano fishing tackle box suits your size requirements. They're cheap, sturdy, and readily available. Just don't tell yer guns what the box was originally designed for....... :rolleyes:

3. BacktoGats

BacktoGats New Member

At my local Gander Mountain they sell used Army ammo metal boxes for $5.

4. cbw

cbw New Member

5. cbw

cbw New Member

I have several of these full of ammo, I guess I could covert one over, I was looking for the compartments and the gun vise. I thought about the tackle box but it just did not seam right.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

cbw - I have a CRAZY range box that also doubles as a portable reloading station. I will post some pictures tonight for you, but it's probably overkill.

Most of the stuff I do is that way for some reason. :rolleyes:

JD

7. kdog

kdog New Member

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay, so here are a couple of pictures of my Rifle Range Box - It's basically set up to be a combination reloading and cleaning system.

I got a basic Kobald 2 drawer tool box and lined the bottom. Got a block of Aluminum T-6061 and drilled the side of the tool box, tapped and threaded the block to hold both a powder thrower and a gun vise if needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plenty of room for everything I need for a day at the range short of lunch. At the end of the day, it all packs up in one, nice, neat package and it can be locked should I desire.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas of your own.

JD

9. cbw

cbw New Member

Dillinger,

Must be the excitement of your Holidays, where are the pics? Looking forward to seeing them when you have time.

10. Model19

Model19 New Member

Also check with hardware stores for storage and tool boxes.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

They are there bro - but they are hosted outside the website due to size. If you are on a blocked system, or can't see hosted images ( like on a work computer ) they won't show up.

I will see if I can upload smaller images of the same photos tonight when I get home.

JD

12. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

The tackle box works for me, I try to keep parts for my guns, and the compartments are great for little screws, etc.

13. cbw

cbw New Member

D

Pic's look good, nice looking box. I don't think I want to use metal, but if I was going to I like the one you picked! Happy Holidays. Merry Christmas!

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You could do something similar with a unit like this if you were so inclined.

JD

15. cbw

cbw New Member

Thanx for all the replys and ideas! I went with a 26" Double thick plastic tool box from Sears that has two removable compartments, a tray and all kinds of room down below to store my solvents and such. It's not as heavy duty as Dillingers', I cannot make my pictures small enough in size to show it. I tried for the lase hour so %^&* it.

16. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Why didn't I think toolbox? Actually a little more versatile than the tacklebox. I may steal this idea.;)