Gun Magnets... Hmmm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ScottA, Sep 20, 2012.

1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

This is kind of an interesting idea. I'm sure the is something that has been home-built for years by thousands. Not something I had considered before.

http://www.stickimupgunmagnets.com

[​IMG]

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I know a guy who put Velcro under his computer desk and the other side of the Velcro on a holster and keeps a gun there. Same concept yet home made. I wonder if the magnet will scratch the finish of the gun. That magnet must be pretty strong to hold a long gun on the back of a door. I kind of like the idea.

3. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

It's a great concept but if the desk is bumped to hard your gun is on the floor.
    Personally i would get a cheap holster and duct tape it to the bottom of the desk. That way it is still easy to grab in an instant and it wont fall if the desk is bumped.
    If you want to put your finger in the trigger and shoot from under the desk cut off the tip of the holster. Cheaper than a powerful magnet. And imo much more practical.

4. ScottA

It says they are coated in plastic. That should take care of the scratching issue.

I've got some old 1970's Hon special that feels like it's built out of 6 or 7 oak trees. Whack this hard enough to dislodge it, and you'll be visiting your chiropractor.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  5. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Hahaha fair enough :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012
  6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

For the price ($30 per), it seems like a really versatile and innovative idea. I like it.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Of course, non-ferrous need not apply.

8. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I have one under my both desk and tool cart at work. It is covered in semi-soft rubber so no scratches. Holds a full size Glock well and I have never knocked the gun loose yet, I have to draw it at a slight angle (rear to front) to make it come off easier. I love it for work, with the grip pointing straight down you can't see it unless you know it is there. Just remember it is at eye level to small children.

9. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Most people would use a gun magnet or a holster fastened to their desk when they are expecting trouble. Otherwise the unsecured weapon is a liability not an asset. I am speaking in generalities - I am sure there are circumstances that create a need for a weapon to be stowed in such a fashion all the time.

10. therhino

therhino New Member

11. ScottA

I've been toying with the idea of start advertising for buying gold and silver. If I do, I would want something like this under my desk. Every evening, the gun would go home or go into the safe.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

How did you get the magnet to stick to the glock plastic?

;)

13. ScottA

Ancient Chinese Secret.

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Is the slide on a Glock polymer, too?

15. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Being the only one in my shop most of the time, I feel I am prepared with one in the holster 80% of the time. Sometimes it is impractical to keep my gun in the holster due to positions I have to get into while working on a car, or due to the likelihood of getting a coolant or ATF bath. So for these times I place my gun on the magnet under either the desk or tool cart to keep it in reach. Once I have finished that part of the repair back in the holster she goes. The majority of my business is done in cash, and you just never know when someone will get stupid on you. Then I keep two friends in different places around the shop, a Mossberg 88 and a SP 101. :cool:

16. FAS1

FAS1 Member

Mounted on the side of a file drawer works well. Can also be mounted horizontally under a desk if there isn't a drawer in the way. I leave it open when at my desk and close it when I am away. I personally don't leave an unsecured gun anywhere. Too much liability for me.

Attached Files:

17. orangello

orangello New Member

No, i was just giving him a hard time.