Gun Magazines

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by MattyT, Feb 7, 2013.

1. MattyT

MattyT New Member

What are some good gun magazines? Anybody read them?

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I read them from time to time but I have a problem with them not being so neutral a lot of the time. When you see ads for a company in the same gun rag that has a review of a gun it makes me wonder. I like to rely on information that does not have so much to gain form a good review.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I gave up Magazines when i got my 1st Iphone :D
    Still get American Rifleman of course & Guns 'n Ammo was my favorite-

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have almost a whole year's worth of Guns and Ammo and several issues of Handgun. If anybody would like them I will gladly send them to you. I had a year's subscription. There is a lot you can learn from them but as Drum Jumkie noted, you have to know that often the articles are skewed. I hate to toss them out. I was thinking of putting them in some Doctor's waiting room. :D

5. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Every so often I buy one of them when I see something I may have interest in while at the grocery store. Thing is, they are like $6 or more off the shelf nowadays and the internet has made print all but obsolete. But I do also get American Rifleman from the NRA

6. winds-of-change

A year's subscription to Guns n Ammo was, like, $13. I know they charge much more by individual magazine. Isn't that weird?

7. winds-of-change

I am happy to be sending my magazines to hawaiifrank........who actually doesn't live in hawaii at all. :confused: I hope he enjoys the magazines. There's lots of good reading in them. Put them in the magazine rack in the bathroom and your good to go. Get it? Good to "go"? :p

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Groan :p
    I think i need a charger in "there" for my iphone tho :D

9. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Only look at them when I run out if things to look up on my phone. Then I find something that I want to look up on my phone.

10. winds-of-change

Hmmm...........I don't have a smart phone. Maybe that's the difference. And Hoss, you laughed, I KNOW you did. :)

11. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I like NRA's Shooting Illustrated and I read Shooting Times now and again. Although, The Shooting Times has gotten so thin over the years :mad:

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

American Rifleman
    Handloader

IMHO, the rest are garbage written by duphi.

Read a glowing report of a new P.O.S on a page, and see a full page advertisement for the P.O.S. on the facing page.

Always remember, gun rags are not interested in purveying information, they're interested in selling advertising.

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I am with Sonic! Shooting Times is one of my best preference's. And some "not all" articles in Guns and Ammo.
    Of course there are some great specialty articles in the NRA Magazine. Like the ones on the Colt 1911, 1903 Springfield, Eddystones, M1 Garands and others.:)

14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I used to pick up Guns & Ammo and/or Shotgun News to read at work. Havent read either in a couple years.

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Just once I'd like to read a semi-objective point of view. Off the rack $500 rifles shoot MOA and 338s WM are easy on the shoulder.:confused:

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, they make it pretty obvious those articles are bought and paid for...

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

And the "new" 1911 sells for $350 and eats up wadcutters with nary a stoppage, and ya can cover 10 holes at 50 yards with your thumbnail.:rolleyes::rolleyes: