Firearms Talk banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
As I currently have way more magazine subscriptions than any mortal man should have and am cutting back as the subscriptions end I will admit that I have just signed up for 2 more years of "American Handgunner". It is well written by people who know what they are talking about without a lot of jargon. I also think that the photography for their feature pieces is the finest you can find (I am cutting back on photography magazines also). I also read "American Rifleman" (it comes as an option among four titles with an NRA membership) and love it's historical material but the amount of political blather is a personal turn-off. Perhaps it will improve after this accursed election season ends (but I doubt it!) and the ponies they've been riding get put back in the barn. The "Recoil" is a new style in firearms periodicals; more "GQ" than "Field & Stream" but if it survives the current editorial kerfuffle it should be a very welcome addition to the enthusiast's library. Of course, the best things to read are catalogs! No bathroom is complete without Brownell's 1911 book on the counter and the arrival of Cabela's Shooting catalog is a holiday in my house.

I had an epiphany.

A long time Guns and Ammo guy, it occurred that I'd never seen a negative article on any gun, ever.

I think the magazines are in the tank for whomever sends them a piece to try out.

And too many ads nowadays.
Oh ye of little faith......

How could you not feel that the "gun reviews" in the magazines are not fair and impartial, especially when the "review" is followed, next page, with a two page advertising spread for the "reviewed" weapon? Maybe that is just coincidence.......

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.