gun lubricant

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by GaryE, May 16, 2010.

1. GaryE

GaryE New Member

Hi, I read where anti seize is a good lubricant for stainless steel. I applied
    this on the slide action of my stainless steel pistol and noticed the gun became
    much smoother and the slide action was easier to pull. What I'm curious about
    is this a good lubricant to prevent any galling of the moving parts on my
    pistol.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For stainless steel, I prefer Rig Lube +P. It works so well that it doubles as a resizing lube for rifle cases.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've been using Mobil One on all my handguns for years. It's works well and I've never seen any wear at all...

4. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

Mobil One as in the official oil of NASCAR?

I usually use Rem Oil and Rem Dri-Lube :)

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Yup, that's the one. It stays where you put it, has great heat resistance and I'm still on the same quart I bought years ago. I've used in on stainless, carbon steel, aluminum, and poly guns and it's worked well for me. I keep a small squeeze bottle of it in my range bag as well...

6. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

Sounds like a good thing then. I get the little $2 squeeze bottles of Rem Oil and use them to wipe down the surfaces of my guns and when I disassemble and clean I use the Dri-Lube for lubrication. That stuff makes the 10/22 action SMOOOOOTH.

7. GaryE

GaryE New Member

Glad to hear that

I thought about using a synthetic car oil also. I just never heard of anyone
    using it. I have a quart bottle of synthetic air cooled oil that was left over
    before I had to park the harley for good. I'm going to try that out. I know
    on the engine of the harley it made a world of difference. I to am a Air Force
    veteran. I also wore the Army and Navy uniforms but did all my active duty
    with the Air Force, the others were drilling reserves. Seven years ago I was
    permanently classified as a 100% disabled veteran from a injury that occurred
    back in 77 in the Air Force. I just diidn't realize it was a degenerative injury
    when I was younger. For that reason I carry a concealed weapon as I have
    personally found out that disabled folks as myself are targets for many of the
    punks we have in our society these days.

8. cappaletti

cappaletti New Member

Anti-seize is outstanding and it stops galling too. AGI recommends it, and there's another product out that I've been reading up on..Eezox..this stuff is UNREAL..MidwayUSA carries it and I checked on Brownell's site too but they don't carry it for some reason. U can also check out there site..google "eezox" and it'll take u there...

9. steve666

steve666 New Member

I've been using NanoLube. I also like Gunslick anhydrous graphite grease but it's hard to find.

10. shootingmad

shootingmad New Member

I use CLP (Clean, Lubricate, Protect) its expensive but good. :D

11. cappaletti

cappaletti New Member

I think ur talking bout Break Free CLP..hope I'm right in that assumption..FYI: I'm presently doing a test on Break Free, Eezox and Quick Release oils. Cleaned up 6 new nails, put BF, Eezox and QR onnem and set them outside partially exposed to the elements. Also took 3 of the nails put the 3 oils/lubricants onnem and then placed them in VERY salty hot water and then exposed them partially to the elements. Started this test 8/17/10 and will post results 8/27/10. So far they're all doing the same and we've had rain here every day for the past 5 days.

12. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

i like the teflon based "triflow". it puts a teflon coating on the parts that stays on.

smells good too......like bananas

13. shootingmad

shootingmad New Member

Yea mate, break free. I have a 2 gallon bottle of it. :D

14. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

For a light grease on gun parts, I use lubriplate engine assembly grease I've mixed with graphite powder. For gun oil, like others have mentioned, I've used mobile 1, or any other synthetic motor oil for that matter, for lubeing my rifles and all their metals for rust prevention....works great.

At range last Sunday, fellow shooter showed me an oil he's used for awhile now on his rifles and is enthusiastic about that he bought at one of our local Ace Hardware stores. Guy said he bought the oil just to get its bottle with the long spout.....that he would pour out the oil and put his regular gun in the bottle. Then one day he tried the turbine oil and had used it ever since. Unfortunately, I can't remember its name. However, product is marketed by a California company and its in about a clear plastic 4 oz bottle with a 2" or longer thin spout for applying a drop of oil where you need it. Bottle states something about oil for turbine lubrication. Turbines such as gas or jet engine types. Price is about $2. Shooter with oil had told another gent we regularly shoot with about the oil a few weeks before, who tried it on his fishing reels....guy is a professional salt water fishing guide who is also an avid shooter. So happens, there was a fishing show in town recently that Quatum reels had a booth at.....fishing guide took one of their reels on display, disassembled it, cleaned it,then lubed it with the turbine oil from Ace, reassembled it and told Quatum reps to now try it. They were amazed at how much more freely the reel spun with the oil, wanting to know info about it.

15. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I used to use Rem oil, but lately (with some of the advice from others on this forum) I started to use Mobil 1. Works fantastic!

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

If you will mix 1 Qt. of Mobile #1, 15w50 Synthetic Motor Oil and 1/2 Qt. of Mobile #1, Synthetic Transmission Fluid you will find no better weapons lubricant. I am not so sure that some are not using it under another name and making some good $$$$. Or you can buy a spray can of G-96 Gun Lube and eliminate your lubrication problems. I buy one of those small RC red plastic gas cans from Wal-Mart or somewhere and mix my Mobile One Synthetic Motor Oil and Syn. Trans Fluid and have a full 1 1/2 Quart of the finest lube you can buy. We have used it for 6 years plus at this point. It is great for the AR Rifle since some light gun oils will bake off almost immediately. And it is my thought that since the Mobile #1 has a slight trace of detergent in it that it assists with keeping carbon under control better.

17. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Bananas is right. Excellent lube.

I use Moly wheel bearing grease on all slide rails and bolt lugs, and Breakfree everywhere else.

18. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

how will moter oil work in cold weather 32deg and colder, or is this a warm weather oil only?
    Some times I hunt -10 ,-20 deg or at the gun range -30
    I live in north central Canada.
    Thanks F.K.

19. cappaletti

cappaletti New Member

Test of lubricants

Forgot to post here about the results of the tests I did on Break Free CLP, Eezox and Quick Release...they all worked 100% on both tests. The only catch is you have to shake up Quick Release...the Mobile 1 does sound promising though !:)