Gun Lube???

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by upssmann, Mar 14, 2012.

1. upssmann

upssmann New Member

What kind of oil do people use to lube or oil ther pistols, like the Slide, ect.....?????

2. KY1911

KY1911 New Member

I use a little of some Lucas Gun Oil I picked up at a local Autozone one day. Doesn't take much and it seems to stay put. Before I got that I had some slide grease ... I'd say its whatever you prefer as long as its not too much. A little goes a long way!

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Uh, gun oil? Mobil 1 5W-30

5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Primarily, I use Permatex white lithium grease WL-9 on slide and rails, and Hoppe's 9 on all other parts.
    Secondarily, I use Tetra gun grease on slide and rails, and 3-in-1 oil on all other parts.

If it slides, grease it; if it rotates, oil it.

6. Jay

Jay New Member

Lubriplate 130A was good enough for the M1, and the M1A, and was supplied for those weapons by the US military. I"ve used it on my 1911 slides since the late 1960's without issue. Kellube, and Weapon Shield, suit me just fine for general lubrication of non-sliding surfaces. I am checking into "Frog Lube"..... the reviews sound real good.

I'm not a fan of substituting automotive lubricants/cleaners for those intended for the firearms market. While the ingredients may be the same, the percentages of those ingredients, quite often differ greatly. A good example is a friend who tried to go cheapie, and substitute auto brake cleaner for Gun Scrubber and melted some stocks. I guess I don't see the reasoning behind being able to afford quality firearms, and then to potentially jeopardize those firearms to save a buck on cleaners, or lubricants.

Obviously personal preference. Best of luck with whatever works for you.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  7. mtbfarms

mtbfarms New Member

Ams oil highest grade synthetic white racing grease. It takes very little and it stays in place.

8. KY1911

KY1911 New Member

+1. Those are my thoughts exactly.

9. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

I use Hoppes No. 9 gun oil. One drop is too much for each side of the slide. I try to use half a drop but it's hard with the bottle I have. I usually wipe a little off. The first time I used a drop for each side of the slide it got dirty really fast because of all the excess lube. I ended up cleaning all the oil off and re-oiling the slides.

10. Staestc

Staestc New Member

That is the first time I have ever heard this! It makes complete sense to me and sounds like very good advice! I love this forum. Learn something new every day!

11. ThinkFastHolsters

ThinkFastHolsters New Member

I swear by slipstream weapon lube. Sometimes I'll use hoppes 9 as well but my rifle and handguns get a good slipstream treatment on all the rails and moving parts on a regular basis. Haven't had any problems with it gumming up either

12. gollygee

gollygee New Member

If you use Brake Cleaner, be sure it is the Non-Chlorinated variety which is safe for plastics.

13. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Bearings get greased and they rotate...........

14. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Here's a 'Lubrication 101' article by Grant Cunningham that gives a good pro & con of different types of lubrication. He's not trying to sell any particular brand & pretty well leaves it up to the reader what will work best or him.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

15. Staestc

Staestc New Member

Good point, but I am pretty sure my front right inside wheel bearing is doing more sliding than rotating at the moment :eek:

16. Staestc

Staestc New Member

Very nice article. Thanks for posting that link.

17. Jay

Jay New Member

I'd suggest that most bearings rotate at a significantly higher rpm than the pins in the vast majority of firearms.

18. bbgun

bbgun New Member

I've been using this grease less spray... It's actually a lubricant and cleaner. It's called safari charlie gun lube, have any of you used it yet? it has some pretty good reviews:
    http://www.superslickstuff.com/lubricant/Safari-Charlie-Gun-Lube.html
    Just pointing out a good spray alternative in case you are interested.

For those who have used it, let me know what you think!

19. Blade

Blade New Member

Hoppes No. 9 gun oil

20. sbitter

sbitter New Member

Big fan of Browning 4th stage oil its part of a 4 stage cleaning kit man that stuff is good