gun layouts/designs

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by BRoKeNLoGiK, Oct 1, 2011.

1. BRoKeNLoGiK

BRoKeNLoGiK New Member

I am a complete newbie to fire arms, what I know I have learnt through games and the internet, I know that a Bullpup configuration firearm has it's magazine behind the firing mechanism but what is a more conventional design (like a M16, M4A1 or AK47) called?
    and what of the 'pistol-type' magazine placement shown by an Uzi or a MP7 submachinegun, is there a particular name for that?
    thanks for reading

2. jbm

jbm New Member

The other arrangements don't really have particular names - perhaps because the bullpup layout is so unusual, and other others are so... usual. You can see the logical engineering evolution in layout from a 15th century matchlock to the modern assault rifle.

The bullpup, on the other hand, arose in the 1950's (the origin of the term is unclear).

Good question - it made me do a little research to check up on my own understanding.

3. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Good answer to a good question. Now you've got me wondering about the origins of the bullpup design.:confused:

4. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wikipedia has a page on bullpup firearms. Fairly informative. google bullpup and it should be one of the first ones to come up on the list.