Gun law question

Discussion in 'Maryland Gun Forum' started by Haven, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Haven

Haven New Member

My father passed away this year, found amoung his belonging is a hand gun and either an (ak47 or an ak-74, I'm checking on this) receipt shows purchased in aug 1999. Wondering how can I legally transfer this to me, and if there are any restrictions on owning this type of weapon.

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

What state do you live in?

There are no federal restrictions.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

You are posting in the Maryland State Forum, so we will assume you are in MD. Maryland does not permit the transfer of an AK. You can possess it, but not in MD.

As far as the handgun, I am going to refer you to the MD State Police for the process of transferring that to you.

Under FEDERAL law, both the handgun and rifle may be transferred directly to you, no paperwork, as an INHERITANCE, so long as you ae not a prohibited person. Unfortunately, Maryland does not trust its citizens, so you need to comply with MD state law.

And as a long term resident of Virginia, I would point out that we do not have this sort of foolishness, taxes are better, and I would be happy to help you locate a Virginia realtor.

4. Haven

Haven New Member

I'm actually in Alexandria VA, Googled this forum and somehow got directed to Maryland. I will make a stop at the state police barracks to get the firearms transfer. Thank you.

5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

There is lot to be said about not saying something sometime. This is just me, and I would not suggest that anyone violate any laws, but personally I will be damned if I would worry about taking possession of my dead father's gun. Then again, once you talk about it on the world wide web, you have painted yourself into a legal corner.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

If you are a resident of VA, you may take possession of the firearms, and take them directly home. DO NOT DRIVE THRU DC WITH THEM.

Virginia does not have registration of ordinary firearms (machineguns, yes)

There is no Federal registration of ordinary firearms. Transfer of ownership of a firearm across a state line USUALLY requires that the firearm be sent to a licensed dealer in the home state of the recipient, however- in the case of an inherited firearm, that does not apply (US Code, Title 18, section 922)

You did not specify the state where the arms are located.