Gun jamming

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Darkenadam, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Darkenadam

Darkenadam New Member

So I got to shoot my first gun for the first time today! Exciting right well yes other than the fact my 92F Beretta kept jamming on me. I was using WPA 115 grain steel cased ammo and don't know if that was the problem. Or the fact my gun is used. I read the springs on my mags might be the issue aswell. Anyone have any suggestion?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Break it down, give it a good scrub, good lube, try again. If you haven't already done that. If that doesn't help try switching ammo, get a different type with some brass cases. Then I would start looking at new springs.

I've never had a problem with a beretta jamming on me, and I guess you could say mine was pretty well used too.

3. winddummy

winddummy New Member

Beretta 92F

Check the magazine first. Is it a factory magazine, if not some mags don't work well in a beretta, if factory make sure it's for a 9mm. I've used a 9mm mag in my .40 with no problems but had feeding problems using a .40 mag in my 92fs. some times a old worn spring will be a little week, replace. You said it was a 92f not a 92fs. if it's the 92f, take it apart and suspend it by the muzzel end by your finger tip and then give it a rap with the barrel, it should ring. if it has any other sound don't shoot it, the slide may have a crack where the lugs meet the frame. shooting a beretta with a cracked slide may cause you to loose a few teeth

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The Beretta 92/96 series are such good guns, I would suspect the magazine as well. Borrow, beg, or buy a magazine of known quality and it will probably solve your problems.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

3 replies and nobody welcomed the young individual to the forum.
    Darkenadam, we have an "Introductions" section. Stopping in and saying "Hi" will provide you a little insight about us.
    Welcome to the Forum.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh damn, we should be flogged.

Welcome aboard.

7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would recommend breaking it down and giving her a good cleaning/lubrication. Also I recommend trying some actual brass cased cartridges. If the problem persists I would take a look at the magazine and springs.

PS- Welcome to the community! I hope you enjoy your stay with us :)!

8. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

welcome to the fourm, After the cleaning take her out it the range again, try a stronger grip just say'n

to say "it Jamed" is very wide

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Darkenadam, why don't you jump over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?

10. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I've never had issues with my 92FS, but I've never shot steel cased ammo with it either. Why shoot steel? If it's cost, WWB and American Eagle (both brass) are economical if bought in bulk. I stay away from Wolf.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  11. gollygee

gollygee New Member

All good advice. If the cleaning & inspection doesn't help, a more detailed description of the jam might help. One thing I heard about steel cased ammo is that, depending on brand, quality control & consistancy is not good. Also, it's said that it is hard on extractors & a worn extractor can cause mis-feeds. Do you know the history on the pistol, maybe previous owner shot steel in it?

12. Darkenadam

Darkenadam New Member

thanks

I did post on introduction section about myself. And thanks for pointing me in the right direction. To clarify jamming well three things. Were happening. One the spent casing would get stuck n the chamber. Also some of the time the next round wouldn't go into the chamber so I'd have to pull back the slide again. And a few other times the next round would get stuck while trying to fire the next round. I have two 15 round clips that were original and I bought three more new ones. I need to test the new clips vs the old o guess to see if its the springs. And I did shoot some brass cases ammo and it seemed OK.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

You'll get flamed for calling them clips. Maybe Cane will post his little pic showing the difference; for some reason some people take way too much offense (in my opinion) when you call a mag a "clip".

But it sounds to me like you need to scrub the hell out of the chamber and try some different ammo, as it sounds like some oversized cases or a build up in the chamber.

My grandfather had the same problem with an old Colt Woodsman .22. It turned out to be a lead buildup in the chamber from feeding soft lead rounds.

14. Darkenadam

Darkenadam New Member

What I know on the history of that gun is I bought it from Robertson trading post. So I was an old LA county sherrif gun from the 90s.

15. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

Ya this is good advice. Really just clean and lube the hell out of it, try brass, and try the new clips. Let us know if the problem persists. Good luck.

16. Darkenadam

Darkenadam New Member

Well after a good cleaning, I took it out again. Did not jam once and I loved shooting that gun. Now I need to work on my accuracy LOL.