gun in car during summer

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by urquidez, May 13, 2013.

1. urquidez

urquidez New Member

Hello i live in arizona and its starting to get hot out side is it safe to leave my gun/ammo in my car when it is hot out side because inside the car it gets alot hotter then out side

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

It's only going to be a problem if its hot enough to ignite the car. ;)
    SAAMI mentions heat above 150 degrees F, but only in the context that they may deteriorate causing poor function. I suspect that actual ignition will require temperatures well above what the componentry inside the car can take.
    With this in mind, I'd recommend replacement of carry ammo exposed to extreme temps on a more frequent basis, just to stay ahead of possible deterioration.

3. urquidez

urquidez New Member

Well thnx for the info

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have been in Gila Bend in August- you could use the bottled water in my trunk to make tea, hot chocolate, instant coffee- just wait for it to cool so you do not burn your mouth!

As the man said- not good for reliability of rounds stored in very high heat levels- but takes over 300 F to ignite a primer.

5. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Think about removing the ammo and carrying it with you. Most places that have gun bans, probably do not have ammo bans, but I could be wrong.

6. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

If I have to leave my ccw in my truck during the summer I leave my windows cracked and I carry a small cooler bag .I do shoot off rounds that have been sitting for a while at the range and load new rounds somewhere around every six weeks.This has served me well both in Chandler AZ as well as in Port Charlotte Florida during the height of the summer.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  7. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

I think I can shed some light on this....

All of my guns and ammo went through a house fire. My wife's LCP was even on fire and melted the handle. NONE of them went off!!! None in the chambers, none in the magazines and none in any of the boxes that were all right under the roof that was on fire. Granted the LCP was the only thing that actually got torched, but nothing went off period. I had .22 .380 .38spl 9mm and 12ga.

8. WillWorkForAmmo

WillWorkForAmmo New Member

That's amazing!!! How well made is ammo that its on fire and doesn't go off!

9. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

I just left Arizona about a year ago (i will be heading back next week for a few days to). I was in Glendale too, not flagstaff or payson or any of the cooler places. I never had a problem, nor did any of my friends that carried or had guns in the car. Never even had a problem with a round after having it in there for over a month. You should be fine. I asked a bunch if people too at first, and none of them had ever had problems.

10. improvised_prepper

improvised_prepper New Member

I'm really surprised the .22 ammo didn't cook off

11. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Many stores have cheap thermal bags for transporting frozen items home, Aldi's for one. What keeps cold in will also keep heat out. So use of one of these to store your gun and ammo in in your trunk, might be a good idea and reduce the chance of spoilage.

Jim

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Not a bad suggestion, though I think very unnecessary. I've never once heard of a gun going of without a pull off the trigger.

13. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

It's not about the gun going off it's about the primer going bad after being in and out of extreme heat.

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Pretty sure it would take an oven, but whatever you want to do...

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

In Arizona in the summer you are more likely to severely burn your hands on the steering wheel. The problem will be firing a handgun with 2nd degree burns. :eek:

16. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Nah I've seen enough SD JHP's primers go bad from being in and out of extreme temps and not fire .Nothing like having a paperweight when you need a gun.