Gun Id????

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by niczip, Dec 22, 2008.

1. niczip

niczip New Member

Hi,
    I have been goingt through my grandmas old gun collection she has alot of really old guns so lets start with this one here it german i belive it has two barrells one is a 16 ga and the other is a rifled barrel i think it has "KRAKAI" on onside of the trigger and on the other it says. "J. MIAZGA" It looks like a beautiful gun i dont think it has even been fired it has these really cool designs on it and a gold leaf logo on the top which look like a shield with feathers coming out of the top and a sword on the sheild . if any one knows what the value of this gun is or what gun it is i really apreciate it i have a couple more if this works. i try to take some pics.

2. niczip

niczip New Member

Ok so i was takin more pics and i found these markings in german "R. Wustailk in Guding Gewehikhmlrant St. K.u.K. Huheit D. Durchi. H. Erlhig. Otto"
    Some letters might be mixed up but i tryed to read it as best i can.

Attached Files:

3. kdog

kdog Member

Hi,

the rifle itself is a Jagddrilling as it seems.
    The markings seem to point more to the austrians then to german.
    Is there any date on the rifle?

What I found on the marking K.u.K. points to the austrian military in the 18th and 19th century.

Ken

4. niczip

niczip New Member

Hey, thanks i could not find a date on the rifle. If there were a date on it were would it be located? Is there anything else you would know about the gun?

5. kdog

kdog Member

Could you maybe make a focused pic of the symbol (left picture)?

Maybe you could try to precisely write down the insignia written on the rifle.
    There are a few words that don`t even make sense as a name. But then the austrians sometimes have funny names...;-))

R. Wustailk in Guding Gewehikhmlrant St. K.u.K. Huheit D. Durchi. H. Erlhig. Otto

Gewehikhmlrant - this to me more like Gewehr???
    Huheit - rather Hoheit (your Highness/majestic dignity)
    etc.

We can only try to put a make on the rifle, if we can find out, what the writings say and perhaps if the date is on there.
    Search the entire barrel, shaft and case.

The Name Krakai point to the Krakai Castle in Vilnius, Soviet Union.
    Could the other writing perhaps be cyrillic writing? That would explain the strange names.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  6. niczip

niczip New Member

Ok you are right on the HOHEIT part but the other part is exact letter for letter.
    Ok and for pic i took one of the bottom trigger guard are it has an elaborate curl flower design.
    The pic of the name on the onside withe the sticky note reads "J. MIAZGA"
    The pic of the other side w/o the sticky note reads"KRAKAU"
    The pic of the butt of the stock is a design that consists of deer and vines
    I also took a clear pic of the emblem on the top.
    if there is any other info you need just let me know.

Attached Files:

7. niczip

niczip New Member

more pics
    Also i found a marking that is almost impossible to read i can make out the first part which reads "KRUPP" the next part could be STML or somthing i can only make outh the S

Attached Files:

8. kdog

kdog Member

o.k. that helps a bit more.

Krakau is a city in Poland and used to be austrian.
    Here the link to Krakau in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krakau

In the german wiki I found an entry on K.u.K. that meant "Kaiserlich und Königlich" what means "imperial and royal".

So Í would point the shotgun to the "imperial and royal" area of poland and austria.

This most likely says "Krupp Stahl". That is the manufacurer of the steel. The company is Krupp.

Considering the Material comes from the company Krupp Stahl, the rifle must me manufactured in the early 20th century.
    Taking in consideration, that Krakau and the royal and imperial part is in there aswell, I would say the rifle was made before or during the first or second world war.

I expect this is the emblem on just above the insignia on the rifle:

[​IMG]

what puts the rifle in the area between 1915 and 1918

or was it this one:

[​IMG]

If it is this one, then it is the empblem the imperial and royal suppliers were allowed to use.

I`m not a historian, but maybe you should find a museum for weapons in austria and ask if they a ID the rifle using the pics you made.

I hope I could be of some help
    Ken