Gun ID Please

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Scott_1469, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Scott_1469

Scott_1469 New Member

Hi, I inherited this from a friend of the family's father, and was told at the time it was an SKS. This may be a really dumb question, but I'm not up to speed in this realm, and this sure looks more like an AK to me. Can you please tell me from these crappy photos what I have here and a rough value? The only other markings on it are the oval 386, Interstate Arms, and Made in China. Thanks much!

Attached Files:

2. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Looks like a norinco "hunter " to me.

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Looks like one of the Norinco "hunter" AK's to me.

4. Mercator

Mercator New Member

It is a Chinese sporterized AK47 semiauto imported by Interarms. Value I would estimate at $700 but try Gunbroker for an update.

5. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Not for nothing try google interstate arms 386 see what you get. That's where I'd start.

6. indy36

indy36 New Member

That is indeed an Interstate Arms model 386. It's a sporterized AK-47.

7. Scott_1469

Scott_1469 New Member

Thanks much for the replies. I'm debating on keeping it as is or modernizing it with a new stock kit if I can find one for it. Need to do more research.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I would keep it as it is. But that's just me. It's beautiful.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Only thing I might change is getting some more magazines with higher capacities.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

11. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I second keeping it the way it is. With prices going down as they are you can get another AK with the furniture you want for just a little more. I just bought one for under 500, The one you have is rather unique and putting new furniture on it may actually decrease the value.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

In that model teh trigger guard and trigger are located further rearward than on a standarrd AKM. The rear of the r3eceiver is cut at a deep angle, and the front trunion that houses the rear sight base is not compatible with standard AK sights. To convert it to AK furniture would not be easy or cheap. If you want an AK clone that looks like an AK you would be better off starting with one that comes that way. If you don't mind a light handy 7.62x39 carbine that is simple inexpensive to buy ammo for, it is not a bad rig the way that it is.

13. Scott_1469

Scott_1469 New Member

Appreciate the info.......It did come with 3 30 rd clips and 2 10 rd ones so I'll have fun with it and decide whether to keep it as is or sell for something newer.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Rear trunion is incompatible with standard AK furniture. Just a fun gun, not a tacticool AK.

And WOW, I have never seen AK clips larger than 10 rds.
    I just had to

15. austin92

austin92 New Member

I've never even seen an Ak clip. Didn't know they made them

16. Darrel55

Darrel55 New Member

Same one as for the SKS.

17. austin92

austin92 New Member

I've got about 30 sks clips laying around. couple Ak magazines laying around too. Ak clips though? Never seen one....

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

You can use the same stripper clips with a stripper clip guide to charge AK mags. I have a beat up Chinese one around somewhere. Their kind of awkward to use. So I guess they could be AK clips or SKS clips, or just 7.62x39 clips.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As stated, the same as the SKS stripper clip

Attached Files:

20. austin92

austin92 New Member

Yeah mine don't work like that. Not even in a type m sks lol

Attached Files: