Gun Held Hostage

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by notdku, Jun 16, 2009.

1. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I bought a gun and the owner shipped it to a local FFL which I have never used before but they are a mile away from my house so I thought I would use them.

Gun was just delivered and I called to confirm. Well guess what, the owner won't be there until sometime next week. Never bothered to mention that when I called for pricing and told them I was having it shipped there. Employees say they can't do the transfer.

Am I SOL until he gets back? Can I get another FFL to drive there and pick it up?

2. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

I assume that if the employees cant do a transfer to you then they probably cant do a transfer to another dealer. You might be SOL until the owner gets back. I could be wrong though.

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Welcome to the he11 that is my world.

We always have to wait ten days. They call it a cooling off period. That’s after the dang'd wait for the supplier and shipper.

Can you believe I had to wait ten days for a lower receiver? How stupid is that?

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

If the employees won't transfer to you, they aren't going to release it to another FFL holder either Boss.

Sorry to say, in this situation, you are SOL until the owner gets back unless you can get s/he it instruct the employees to release said weapon...

While it might be twisting the knife a bit, I have to ask....:eek:

What did you order??? :D

JD

5. notdku

I bought a AKM underfolder from a non-dealer. Was hoping to go shoot it tomorrow but alas, held hostage.

6. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Ohhhh man, that is torture! Yup, nuthin' you can do, its on his books now so HE has to xfer it out. You would even have to wait to xfer it to another dealer. Great customer service huh?

Gives you more time to build the anticipation though ;)

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That sux. Here in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia our firearm has to sit in gun jail for ten days before we can pick it up. :mad:

8. dynastyofnext

dynastyofnext New Member

doesnt everyone who works at a gunshop have to have an FFL?......or is that only here?

Also demand to be compensated for your loss and hold your hand out towards his neck and pretend to crush it.

9. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

You don't have to have an FFL to work in a gun shop - you can work under the owners FFL, like a PA can write prescriptions under the Doctors license. Do you think all the WalMart sporting goods dept. employee's have FFL's???

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like the owner does not trust his employee to do the paperwork properly. IMHO if you cannot trust him, why do you employ him?

11. notdku

He's not a gun shop. He's another business just has an FFL. Cheap and close so I thought I would let him do it. I at least got to strip down the rifle and check it out today. I can't wait even more now!

12. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

That must be what's happening - and I wouldn't miss the opportunity to let the owner know that that is the last transfer he will ever do for me. It's bad enough having to comply with that ridiculous 10 day wait without also having to wait for some jerk to get on the ball.

13. panzermk2

panzermk2 New Member

BINGO! Everybody at my company operates under our FFL.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Maybe the owner will kick you down some ammo for that first shoot when he finds out what a hassle you had due to his miscommunication. I would certainly ask for some kind of compensation; is there any work they could do to this gun while they are storing it for you?

Of course, the FFL guy probably only has $30 or so coming for the transfer.

15. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Bingo! He should reciprocate with at least a box of free ammo!:D

16. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

Good customer service is what gets me 90% of my customers! He should make it right to you one way or another. When people decide they want a gun the want it right now, not next week. He might only be making $20.00 for the transfer but if he did you right I am sure you would use him for a transfer again. His employees should call him ASAP and do the transfer for you.

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

100 and 50 THOUSAND PERCENT agreed!!

There isn't enough margin in the private gun market to make you a millionaire, so return customers are a MUST.

We don't make but pittance on transfers in, but customers that use us for the transfer, frequently they also use us for a trigger job, sight replacement and or other tasks on the transfer item. Plus, they have a repartee' with us, so they come back when they want a rifle, or a new weapon they need counseling on....

Anyone looking to screw over a customer on a simple transfer won't be "in business" very long, even as a side business....

JD

18. m72law

m72law New Member

yeck from what i've been told from the ffl holders around here...20.00 or even 50.00 bucks is very cheap for a transfer?....i was at a pawnshop close by my house last week...and ask the owner if he had his ffl's...he said,yes...of course cause he sales new guns...(800.00 glocks!) wtf>?....anyways,when i asked him what he would charge for the paper work to order a gun from a place i had in mind...CDNN...he told me that it would be such a hassle being he wasnt on file with them so he couldnt charge no less than 100.00 to a 150.00 dollars.....GEWWWWWWWW!! is what i told him and got the hell out of there....now i know that people have to eat...but holydamn! i dont know about porterhouse steaks every night?so is it me being a tightwad or does those prices for a FFL transfer sound high?...i live in north carolina by the way.not exactly the highest gas priced state in the us

19. panzermk2

panzermk2 New Member

He is full of sh@t. ON file? All the time it takes is to fax a copy of your FFL over. I have a scanned in version of mine signed and stamped keep for file that I email. Since the electronic documents act from years ago you can fax a signed version.

I do it all the time. You should not pay one penny more then $25.00. He's just trying to stick you with some of the markup he's loosing since you bought it strait from CDNN and not having had him order it himself and jack the price up.

20. m72law

m72law New Member

i thought it was high.....i dont know?...the guy is a some what of a good person...i've bought a few used guns from him @ very reasonable prices...and he keeps me in stock of all my primers and powder...so i just cant understand why he wants to charge (me that).. someone that does a good bit of business with?maybe i'll just start looking @ other places...where would be a good place to go to get a FFL transfer done...cheap?on diffrent note...does anyone know how long its going to take the BATF to send me my c&r ffl...i filled it out,sent it in and that was over 2 months ago....the 30.00 bucks hasnt took out of my account yet...and was just wondering if anyone here has waited longer?thanks