Gun grease!

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by jersh243, Nov 25, 2013.

1. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

My friend is using Outers choke tube and gun grease on the bolt of his Remington 700. Is this a good grease to use on a bolt? Or should he use something different? Here is a picture to help clarify what it is!

image-1234615801.jpg

2. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Grease on modern guns is a bad idea. Especially with frequent use or in climates that are dusty. NIC (who makes Cerakote) makes a coating called Microslick with which is awesome for shotgun and rifle bolts. I would recommend something like CLP Breakfree or Frog Lube.

3. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

He uses CLP to clean the barrel but it doesn't eliminate the sound of "metal on metal" from the bolt! He needed something thicker. Is Frog Lube thick?

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Going into Winter, I'd be very careful with using anything more than a very thin film of lube, depending on your latitude.

For starters, have your friend do a thorough cleaning and inspection to see if any manufacturing burrs or junk are causing the noise when he works the action.

5. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

You're going to have some "metal on metal" sound because you have metal riding against metal.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

CLP powder blast is not a lubricant. Powder blast is to remove old oil and grease. Don't think powder blast is the same thing as regular CLP. The reason I brought this up is both cans are virtually identical. The only difference is one says powder blast on the front of it.

7. cluznar

cluznar New Member

I use Tetra Gun Grease on the rails of my pistols when I go to the range.
    Otherwise I use BreakFree CLP and or RemOil or Hoppe's oil. Never a problem with my guns.

8. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Never used grease on any of my guns. I was always scared of attracting too much crud. I clean really good and i oil with m-pro7. I like the mpro stuff but ive found 99% of modern gun oils do just fine for lubrication.

9. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

If I do apply a grease to any of my rifles, usually its a mixture of graphite powder and Lubriplate "105" engine assembly grease that I use. Works well for me.