Gun for Wife

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by SHSBulldog06, Jan 20, 2010.

1. SHSBulldog06

SHSBulldog06 New Member

Alright, my wife is looking at getting her first gun for carry. My first attempt to get her a revolver is out, because, "I don't like that, I want a pretty gun" she said. So last wknd we went to the gun store to see what she likes. And here is what it all boiled down too: Beretta Tomcat .32, Bersa Thunder .380, and Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm. Myself, I like the Taurus 9mm just for the fact that its got a little more meat on the bone. She narrowed it down to those after she held all of them, and made sure they had a manual safety. I don't know how bad the recoil is on the 9mm but I'm sure if she can handle my 3" Kimber .45 then the 9 will be a breeze. Of the 3 listed, which would you guys prefer for your wife or girlfriend or mom or sister or your hooker?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

For me it would be the Bersa. I am not a fan of Taurus, in fact, a guy on my local GA gun forum just had to return his PT709 for warranty work 1 week after purchase.

My wife finally settled on a Walther PPK/S - it met her "pretty" criteria - and she shoots it well...

3. Jess

Jess New Member

I prefer a 9mm over a .380 all day long. My .380 was a snappy beast. my 9mm XD is a dream.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'd have given a different answer if an XD would have been listed as one of the choices...

5. SHSBulldog06

SHSBulldog06 New Member

The bersa was her first choice, then she saw the taurus. I also like how the trigger can be pulled again incase the first try didn't fire. What was malfunctioning in your friends taurus NGIB?

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

A 9mm would be better than a .380 or .32ACP. Bigger is better in this case.

However, I'm leery of trusting a Taurus. There are people who swear by them, but I hear more negative reports about them than any other brand handgun. In fact, the gun shop where I used to work stopped carrying them because of all the problems.

My suggestion is to look at more sub compact 9mm's before making a decision. Failing that, go with the Bersa. She likes it, so she'll carry it. (I owned one and it was a great little pistol)

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

My Hookers all just carry blades.

The girlfriend has a Browning 22. We can't carry here so it's just for range.

She wants to give it a name.

WTF:eek:

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i got 3 bersa 380 two thunder plus and a 7 round thunder fantastic guns.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Here's the post explaining it (I don't know this fella, he's on my local GA gun forum). The problem I see with Taurus (and I have personally experienced) is they make more than than their share of "lemons". If you get a good one, a Taurus can be a fine, reliable gun - but I will not take that chance again...

10. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Maybe a Kel Tec PF-9? It's concealable, more reliable (IMO) than a Taurus, and shoots 9mm.

11. SHSBulldog06

SHSBulldog06 New Member

yea, I would get her a kel-tec pf9 but she wants something with a manual safety that she will feel comfortable carrying locked n loaded. We were leaning toward the Taurus but now seeing everyone's opinions on it and researching it more, probably just go with the Bersa. Ya'll know of any other decent guns that are about "bersa" size with a manual safety to recommend for her to look at?

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Seems like the Taurus PT709 has an extractor problem. There have been a couple of guys here that have had pretty big FTE problems with them. Word is that Taurus knows of the issue and is attempting to solve the problem.

13. CA357

A CZ 83 is chambered in .380 and is very close in size to a Bersa Thunder. A CZ 82 is chambered in 9x18 Makarov and has a bit more oomph than a .380ACP. However finding new ones is pretty hard.

The CZ 2075 RAMI is chambered in 9mm and may be a possibility if your budget is okay. Have her take a look at a Walther in .380 as well.

14. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Kahr makes a 9mm with manual safety, if I recall correctly.

15. SHSBulldog06

SHSBulldog06 New Member

yea that cz 2075 is very appealing to the eye. I'm definately gonna have to see if my local shop carries cz. I have never shot a cz how would you compare its craftmenship to other similar companies. And as far as the budget thing goes, I can live with sacrificing a little extra for the purpose of it, well at least til the wife gets old and wrinkly.

16. SHSBulldog06

SHSBulldog06 New Member

yep, kahr does have one, it was on the home page as soon as I went to their site. A PM9 series, the gun looks good. Can't say the same for the price though. But if i get her that then maybe she won't give me hell about the prices I pay.

17. CA357

I've owned a couple of CZ's, a CZ 75B in 9mm and the 2075 RAMI in 9mm. I miss them both.

The 2075 wasn't particularly snappy since it had a bit of heft to it. It was an easy shooter. The 75B was almost boring. It was 100% dependable and accurate and had great ergonomics.

CZ makes outstanding pistols. Do some homework on them, I think you'll find that those that own them love them.

But, will your wife be interested?

18. SHSBulldog06

SHSBulldog06 New Member

yea CA357, I think she'll be interested, they look similar to the ones she has picked out. She really likes the ones that have a black frame and a stainless slide. She seems to also like the skinnier guns and really wants a man. safety, so she threw out xd's and glock compacts quick.

19. CA357

Keep us in the loop. The search is almost as good as the end result. :cool:

20. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

Do you think Tiger is glad he taught his lady how to swing a club?

Im just sayin......