Firearms Talk banner

Gun for my wife

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Zombiegirl 
#1 ·
I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but I'm new to the forum and need help.I'm looking for a gun that my wife can use for concealed carry and also something she enjoys shooting.I'm looking for a 9mm that is a decent shot and won't break the bank.I've been looking at the taurus millennium and the Kel Tec PF-9. Any help would be appreciated.

#4 ·
Best advice I can give is don't pick for her, let her decide. My wife has no real interest in shooting, but she'll come out with me every now and then. What I assume she will prefer has never once matched up with what she actually preferred.

Take her to the range and rent some guns, you'll probably be surprised by the outcome.

#5 ·
let the wife pick. she will likely surprise you. even better if there are rental guns at a local range to try.

my wife's last gun pick ended up with us getting a pair of beretta m9a1...

#6 ·
Depends on what she likes. Is she good with DAO triggers? If she's like me and prefers a short and concise trigger instead of those long pull DAO types like the Ruger LC9 she might want to check out the Taurus pt709 slim. Also can check out Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact carry in 9mm. The LC9 is a great gun, don't get me wrong I just hated the trigger. Not smooth, mushy, weak them snappy break and far too long for self defense use to me. But it's all relative and there's no accounting for taste, right! ? Good luck man.

#7 ·
Zombiegirl said:
I just got a Ruger LC9. It's comfortable and small enough to conceal. Best bet though is to take her with you and let her see what's comfortable for her.
Great advice, until she picks the high end Kimber $$$ :) . Really though, let her shoot what you have so she has something to compare. Then let her go feel all the guns at the shop(and shoot if possible). My wife likes to have a gun that is "hers" cause she picked it out and everything.

#8 ·
I was a concealed carry instructor for several years and from my experience with the female gender the simpler the gun the more they like them and the better they can use them, most woman dont shoot as often as men and i think a revolver takes alot of the stress off of the user especially in a high stress situation. no safetys no slide releases and no mags to have to deal with.

#9 ·
Busdriver said:
I was a concealed carry instructor for several years and from my experience with the female gender the simpler the gun the more they like them and the better they can use them, most woman dont shoot as often as men and i think a revolver takes alot of the stress off of the user especially in a high stress situation. no safetys no slide releases and no mags to have to deal with.
Are those women barefoot and pregnant too, possibly lacking in education as well? Just kidding. Your comment did sound a little bad. :)

#10 ·
Yeh i think your right but it wasnt intentional, my wife is fluent with many hand guns but on an average most arent. They show little interest in firearms. Most of the woman at the classes were pusauded by their husbands or boyfriends. I do appoligize for how it sounded, i wish everybody would get their concealed carry permits and show more interest in firearms.

#11 ·
Busdriver said:
Yeh i think your right but it wasnt intentional, my wife is fluent with many hand guns but on an average most arent. They show little interest in firearms. Most of the woman at the classes were pusauded by their husbands or boyfriends. I do appoligize for how it sounded, i wish everybody would get their concealed carry permits and show more interest in firearms.
I know you didn't mean it that way. I just had to bust your chops. Of my friends, I'm the only girl that's into guns so I understand where you're coming from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.