Gun for my son

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by northhike, Dec 7, 2010.

1. northhike

northhike New Member

I have a 14 year old son who requested a pellet gun for Christmas (Gamo type gun - 1000fps). I looked at the prices of these pellet guns and they are as expensive as a .22 and the reviews are very mixed.

I am considering buying him a basic 22 bolt action. Maybe he can shoot SubSonics in the back yard? I am just having a hard time justifying a $200+ pellet gun.

2. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Hi Northhike,
    I am glad you brought this up. My best buddy is in the market for a gun for his son this christmas. His son really wanted one of the crickets. They can be found around here for about 150 bucks. But then we did some searching. Check out the Ross/BrazTech interchageable barrel rifles. They are pretty cool. You can get them with an assortment of different barrels so that for one price he can have a centerfire, rimfire and shotgun.
    It seemed like in my searches that Ables had about the cheapest prices around.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

I gotta say, i have REALLY enjoyed the .17 pellet rifle i picked up last year, used. It has allowed for some VERY enjoyable back yard plinking & tree rat extermination. I have a Daisy break action that is very quiet & uses pellets that cost less even than .22 bulk ammo.

Of course, i still have the basic bolt-action .22 i received for Christmas when i was six, first "real gun".

4. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

The pellet gun would be a slightly better idea. I love the .22, but he is kind of young. If he is alway going to be with you than that might be ok.

5. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

I dunno if i agree with that. I got my first pellet rifle for Christmas when I was 5. I got my first real gun(winchester .22) when I was 8 granted I wasnt aloud to shoot the .22 by myself untill we move a lil futher away from town but still when I was 10 i was in the back yard chasin squirels and rabbits. Take in mind im only 24 now. so this wasnt all that long ago. But i agree with the Rossi thats what my dad got my lil brother when he turned 13(i got a rem 30-30 lever action).

6. skyhawk

skyhawk New Member

I have always loved to shoot airguns so just a little input.

First off yes, a .22 rimfire for about $200 dollars will be more accurate than almost all airguns, I will not lie about that. I do own a .22 Gamo CFX airgun and couldn't be more pleased. I personally believe this is on of the most accurate airguns that Gamo makes. The fixed barrel underlever is great and accuracy as well. As for the young factor at 1000 fps or greater I don't really care what is being shot it had better be done carefully.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I personally think 14 is old enough to have a .22, depending on the kid. I like your way of thinking on a single-shot or at least a bolt action, though.

I got my first .22 when I was 13 (20 years ago).

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My son is 12. He shoots just about everything I own. I am planning on giving him my 9mm soon. I do not let him shoot alone. He has 2 .22 rifles of his own. One is a single shot youth that he quickely outgrew. He started hogging my 10/22 so I finally just gave it to him. He shoots my 30-30 , my SKS and my 308 Win. I trust him with safety more than most of the adults I know.

9. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I agree with Lon, 14 is old enough if he is responsible enough. Check with your local outdoor range, they probably have a junior smallbore program that will reinforce the safety you teach him. It will also help him develop a love for shooting with like minded youth.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Do we have an "integrity code" on FTF?

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Has your son taken a Hunter's Safety course? If not, I recommend it. Excellent safety taught there.

And I got my first .22 for Christmas, age 9. But every kid is different.

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I'm honored to take a jab for your 3,000th post!

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Haha. Noticed that, too, did ya?:D

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If I may, as for reliability, this is the Marlin 60 I bought in 1967, yep 43+ years ago. I like the Ruger 10/22 and when I wear-out my Marlin 60 I intend to buy one!

[​IMG]

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

there are plenty of good used and new rimfires on the market today. You can luck into many older mossbergs for $150 to $300. and have a great shooter.

For a first rifle I tell people to stay away from semiautos. people get trigger happy with them.

I myself would go look for an older mossberg model 46 a Remington 511 or 512 series or a Marlin 81D. For new I would look at a savage bolt action or a marlin bolt action in 22lr.

I would be cautious about shooting in town as it may be illegal.

So hit gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com and your local classified many guns for sale this time of year as people need money for less important things like video games and such.

No better video game that shooting clays at 50 yards with a 22lr.

16. moron88

moron88 New Member

i personally think every collection should have an air rifle. i am presently 17 and my first gun was a daisy red ryder that i got 4 years ago when i was 13. i wouldnt get him a gamo because you can get a ruger branded air hawk for about $115 that is said to be more accurate than any gamo. Ruger Air Hawk Combo. Air rifles - PyramydAir.com

17. northhike

northhike New Member

Thank for all the help and input. Here are some additional details that I see I should have added to the original post.

My son has gone through Hunter Saftey. He has a matching Remington 870 Express to mine and it only comes out of the gun safe when I am around or if we go bird hunting. He also shoots my .22WMR (again its in the gun safe). He knows guns well and is safe, but I would not allow him to shoot them without me being present....he is still a kid.

The dilema between the pellet gun and the .22LR is cost vs. use. I have been really struggling with the price of the pellet guns at $200+ when I can get a rimfire for the same price. That said though we could not shoot the rimfire .22 in the back yard. Nor would I feel safe having him bee-bop around the woods with his buddies plinking at squirrels with a .22. A pellet gun (although powerful) is still in the category with BB guns (i.e. air guns) unlike a .22.

Maybe I should look into pellet guns like the Ruger which are more inline with the cost I was thinking....OR I maybe I should just put coal in his stocking and buy myself a nice rimfre. ;) Thanks again all!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  18. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I have several 22s, I'm 62 years old. I bought a Crossman Phantom at Wal-Mart for $80 last summer for garden patrol. I live in Urbania where it is not legal to shoot a firearm. I was extremely suprised at the power and the accuracy of this rifle. I can head shoot a rabbit at 100 feet. At 30 ft. it will shoot one ragged hole. It will penetrate 1/2 inch plywood, not a toy. 1200 fpc. You can get cheaper less powerful bb or pellet guns, none of which are what I would call toys. They are however a great learning tool that are loads of fun. He may consider airsoft.

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I was shooting NRA smallbore at 11. Both my boys have had .22's since age 8.
    My oldest started shooting .22's at age 5. I was hunting w/ a JC Higgins single shot at 12. Still have that one as it was Dads. It took 4 bunnies to feed 3 of us. My sister would not eat Hasenpfeffer. My Mom made it the same way as her mother, who was from Hungary, born in 1896.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  20. Virginia58

Virginia58 Member Supporter

I think a .22 rifle is a great starter rifle for a young man, provided he has taken saftey course and/or significant one-on-one instruction.

My son got his first gun, a .22 Marlin bolt action when he turned 10. He had been shooting pellet guns, and some of my guns with lots of supervision since he was about 6. I chose the bolt action because I wanted him to have to deliberately manipulate the action to chamber another round. Also with a small capacity bottom fed magazine and no semi-auto, he was less likely to just keep pulling the trigger, and take more time and care in making a shot.

We mounted a basic 4x scope on it and he became very proficient with the rifle. He is now 23 and still has this first rifle and takes great care of it and all his guns.