Gun for a New-ish person

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Tev225, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Tev225

Tev225 New Member

Hello, I am looking into buying a good target/varmint rifle (coyotes). I am kind of new to guns. I am familiar with my dads 10-22 and his Remington 870, I have been hunting a couple of times with them. I am looking for a caliber that is reasonably cheap. I will not be reloading. 223 rem seems to be a good bet but I was wondering if there was a better option for me. I also need help on what rifle to choose. Should I go cheap (savage axis, stevens 200)? or should I put a little money out (howa 1500, Mossberg mvp). :confused:

2. cottontop

cottontop Guest

If you want a brand new rifle, I would suggest that you get a .243 in the Marlin XS7. They are very nice looking, light weight, and very strong. I know a guy who accidentally chambered a .300 Savage round in a .25-06 Marlin XL7 (the longer action version) and fired it. Other than the extractor and ejector on the bolt, nothing was damaged. A gunsmith checked everything out and nothing else was damaged.

Why the .243 cartridge? It is perhaps one of the most all round cartridges ever invented for North American hunting. Anything from small varmints to mule deer and black bear can easily be taken with it. Also, consider very good accuracy and very low recoil.

If buying used, you have lots of options even in older calibers such as the 6mm Remington, 250-3000 Savage, .25-06, and .257 Roberts.
    ct

3. Tev225

Tev225 New Member

Thanks for the input. I was considering the 243 earlier on because it is more versatile for hunting.

4. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

For a first rifle I cant think of anything better than a .243 as mentioned above. The recoil is minimal, they are affordable to shoot and the .243 is a good caliber for anything deer sized and down. I would reccomend looking for a good quality used rifle. The last rifle i purchased was a .243 Remington 700 ADL (Late sixties model) for $250 and it shoots like a dream. I also like the Savage mdl 110. If you shop around you will find a much better quality gun than you will normally see new.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

While ammo supplies are starting to catch up, 223 was a little hard to find for a while. I regularly saw 243 ammo available. The 243 seems to be inherently accurate and an excellent cartridge. It is chambered by a lot of different mfgs and is widely available used. It is not a barrel burner so you will get a long useful life from a rifle chambered in it. Cottontop gave you some good advice when he recommended the 243.

6. Tev225

Tev225 New Member

Thanks for the help guys!

7. sunsoutgunsout

sunsoutgunsout New Member

I agree with everyone here, .243 is by far one of my favourite rifles in my collection! I've been shooting for a while now, and i have bigger, nicer, rifles that than but I honestly take my .243 hunting probably about 3/4 of the time if not more. Great gun, low recoil and ammo is very easy to find, hell even walmart carries the ammo. As cotton and nchunt said, its great for targets and varmint as well as full sized buck and i'd say one of the best choices for moving targets since the round shoots very, VERY, fast.

8. Tev225

Tev225 New Member

Could anyone name a rifle that would be good to begin with? Guns to stay away from? Lets say my price range is 500$

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Marlin X7 series are great rifles. well built, very accurate and decently priced. the Savage Axis series is also a good choice. well made and decently accurate and decently priced. the Mossberg ATR100 another good option. well made, accurate and decently priced. the Weatherby Vanguard II is a good option andis also the same rifle as the Howa 1500. well made and accurate. the Ruger American is pretty new to the market, but is decently priced and is getting good reviews from those who have bought them.

one i would most definately say to avoid is the Remington M770. poorly made, most are not very accurate, but they are cheap.

also hit the gun stores and pawn shops. i have bought many used rifles for a very decent price by shopping used.

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Remington makes a youth model 700 Left or Right hand models are available and I think is in the $500 range. I have one and love it. It has the option to 'grow' the stock as you grow and to hand it down later if you wish. It comes in 243. 7-08, and 308. If you intend to use it ONLY as a varmint and small deer gun a 243 would be a good choice. But if you want to use it for large deer or other big game I would recommend you go with the 7-08 as the 243 is not a big game cartridge. It is marginal for deer and larger game but if you are aware of it's limitations it will take deer.
    Hope this helped,
    Jim:)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  11. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I would stay away from the Remington 710/770 line of rifles as well as their new budget rifle ( forget the model but it just came out --- I have nothing against them but would rather see what is said about it in a year). I have shot the Marlin bolts and liked them but if you want new get a Savage 110 or look into the Weatherby Vangaurd series. The best thing you can do is to be patient and save your money a bit longer and buy a rifle quality rifle ---it hurts at first but is well worth it. Also if you have a friend that knows something about guns look for a used rifle. I cant recall the last new gun i bought. One last thing wait until deer season is over to buy a rifle---better deals.

12. Tev225

Tev225 New Member

Thanks for the help. I really am liking the howa 1500 combo. I'll shop around and handle some guns and see which ones I like the most. I also shot my friends T/C Venture in 243. He raves about it.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i actually handled a couple of the new Remington M783 rifles a couple of weekends ago. IMO, vast improvement in ergonomics over the M770/710 series. bolt is much smoother, but not near as smooth as others. but is an improvement. trigger pull is much better too. stock doesn't feel as flimsy either. like you, i will hold further opinions until i see some actuall owners reviews and when i have the opprtunity to shoot one.

14. northeast_hunter

northeast_hunter New Member

For my first rifle, I bought a 700BDL chambered in .260. The 260 is very similar to the 7mm-08, just a slightly smaller bullet. With reloads, I have had a great time with this rifle, but the factory loads still shoot well. I'm very impressed with the accuracy of this rifle, and have found it to be great for anything to groundhogs to turkeys to deer. For deer, I use a 120 grain balistic tip, and it works like a charm.

All of the suggestions so far have been great though, and if you go with a 243, you'll have a great time. It's another great caliber, and very versatile. No matter what, let us know what you choose and how you like it.

15. Tev225

Tev225 New Member

The thing is though, I am not really looking to hunt anything bigger than a coyote. I don't think I really need to spend 1$ a shot when I'm not going to use the caliber to it's full potential. Just a thought though. This is why 223 was appealing. I went into some local gun stores the other day and they had plenty of 223 for 10$ a box at both places.

16. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

.223 is a good round but if you shop around you can find .243 loads out there for around $13 dollars a box and if there is ever another panic you will be able to shott when you want. I know this is stupid and it is a personal hangup but .223 + Ar-15 for me.

17. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i'll throw my hat in. :)

want fun & utility & moderate price? think LEVER!

getcha a lever in 30-30. one in 357 would be a hoot also if you can find it! a strudy marlin lever 336 will often run you less than 400.

go rack a few levers at the gun store....i dare you not feel like a bad azz....:p

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The Ruger American is another contender. You can get it in a wide variety of calibers. Personally, I would go with a 270. The 270 shoots just as flat as a 5.56 x 45 but it has the power to bag moose and elk. I doubt we will ever see the day when you can get 12,500 federal 5.56 x 45 FMJ for $1200ish plus shipping again. The price of copper will prevent ammo prices from falling to pre Obama reelection prices.

Then again you never know what will happen. I recently scored 7.62 x 54 203 gr SP ammo for the same price as last hunting season.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  19. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

yes, its back. but accept that 223 will vanish completely off the shelf periodically for weeks to months at a time. if you get a 223, stock up!

i think a bolt in 223 or 243 is a great idea. you can get a savage 223 for sub $300 (sometimes WITH a scope). i favor lever over bolts...a 357 LEVER might be what you are looking for! :p cheap and fun pinking 38, stout varmit killin 357!

a mini 14 or AR or kel tec might also be good options in the 223.

but i'd seriously consider how cool you'd look totin this around....:)

Attached Files: