Gun for a female to carry??

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by DeniseEMTB, Feb 9, 2011.

1. DeniseEMTB

DeniseEMTB New Member

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, so I don't know much about the way the forums run. I may not even be posting this is in the correct place. :confused:
    Anyway, my question is this: I'm looking for a semi-auto that I can ankle carry. I don't want a little 50 cent piece type that the guys at the gun store here are trying to sell me. I've fired several guns in my life! They have this idea in their minds that I'm a female so I'm supposed to always carry a purse and always walk around in heels. That's just not the case for me. Nothing against ladies who are like that, it's just not for me. I love to hang out with the guys and go shooting, or hunting, fishing, whatever.

My point is this. I want something that I can use for more than just PP. I'd like something that I can conceal AND take to the range when I want. I really like 9mm vs a 45. (My opinion only). Is there any certain brand or size that you think I should carry? Not looking to drop a grand on one either.

I have a Hi-Point that I have never fired. It's brand new and after all the reviews I've read, AND the fact that I just don't like the looks or feel of it, I'm looking for something else. I'm just hoping that I can return it where I bought it less than a month ago..
    Sorry for such a long post! Thanks for all your help. :D

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Welcome to you. Ankle carry? This carry method really limits your choices and is one of the most difficult carry modes from which to deploy a gun quickly and smoothly. Sadly you've already discovered that little concealable guns aren't fun range guns and fun range guns aren't really easy to conceal in may cases.

A decent compromise is something like a Kahr CW9 - very concealable, not bad to shoot and reasonably priced...

3. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Check Ruger LC9 and Walther PPS...they are slim but probably not ideal for ankle carry.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the FTF. We have an "Introductions" area where you can tell us a little about yourself.

With today's ammo, one can get by with a .380 ACP on up to larger calibers. Find the one you are comfortable with (not just how it feels in your hand, but concealed also).

6. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I have had a few female friends say that they would like to carry a gun for self-defense and ask about carry methods. I always try to be helpful but I'm a guy (a wide one ) and therefore I don't have the same issues trying to conceal a weapon that a woman does. So, I just wanted to post a link to a video my GF found. The woman in the video is quite knowledgable on concealed carry issues that women face that us guys are clueless about:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk]YouTube - Concealed Carry Holsters & Outfits for Women[/ame]

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The problem with ankle carry as has already been stated, is that it's uncomfortable and really requires a pretty small handgun.
    You may want to reconsider and think about pocket carry as that will give you more handgun options. Although they'd still have to be fairly small.

Welcome here. There's an Introduction forum, when you get the chance, please introduce yourself to the folks. There are already some women here and it's great to have another woman join our community.

8. DeniseEMTB

DeniseEMTB New Member

Well, maybe I'm just not thinking of all my options as far as "location". I just thought that it would be easier to have it on my ankle, but I'm getting the idea that this isn't my best idea... The only thing I'm afraid of with the pocket carry is one, it has to be small enough to fit in a pocket, and two, I really don't want people to look and "wonder" what's in my pocket. Does that even make sense? (I'm sorry, I know what I want to say but sometimes it doesn't come out right, lol)
    I just can't come up with anything. When I do carry a purse, it is large enough to carry a cannon in as one person stated. ;)

Thanks so much for all the replies! Feel free to keep it up, hopefully I will figure something out pretty soon. Being in the gun stores was like being in a purse store. I couldn't believe all the different sizes and styles! I was in there for 2 hours and still don't know what I want. (I know, typical woman). :D

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

You can carry in the pocket of a jacket, inside the waist band, there are all kinds of holdters and carry options.

I know I've given you this link before Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters, or one close to it from Galco.

There are also these to look at, Crossbreed Holsters > Home, Selecting a Concealment Holster and

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3oPw1WCYpU]YouTube - female review - Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster[/ame]

10. CA357

11. utf59

utf59 New Member

Denise,

Welcome to the forum.

First, I'd like to point out a website called The Cornered Cat. It's authored by a woman and deals with firearms (and some other things) from a woman's perspective. There are several articles there devoted to holsters.

Here's a question for you that everyone — man or woman — has to answer when it comes to concealed carry. Are you going to choose the gun and then "dress around it" or are you going to choose a gun that fits in with the way you dress? And as a followup, if you have the budget, will you have more than one carry gun?

Personally, I chose the gun first. I didn't like carrying inside the waistband (IWB) so I started wearing untucked, button-down shirts to cover my OWB holster and gun. Now, I'm a big, middle-aged guy, I live in Florida, and I work in a place that allows for casual dress. So these things all work for me.

I only point this out to illustrate the process of finding the solution that takes into account not just the gun, but your own prioritied, build and circumstances.

I asked the followup question above because many people want to carry different guns based on varying circumstances. Some people have a "cold weather gun" and a "hot weather gun" based on conditions where they live. Others have a gun that's full size or compact for most days, but a subcompact or pocket gun for days when they'll dress in such a way that a full-size gun won't work.

Some who choose two guns get two versions of the same basic gun. For example, a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. Same caliber, similar fit in hand, same controls, etc. The larger gun is also more fun for long range sessions.

Hopefully some more ladies will be along to share personal experience with carrying that we men just don't have.

12. Jay

Jay New Member

Welcome to the forum....

As evidenced by the gun you now have,
    You've hit on the key.... if it's not comfortable in your hands, you won't shoot it enough to become proficient with it. Go to gun stores, and gun shows, and handle all the guns you can. Focus on the ones that feel "right" in your hands. You can slip your foot into a shoe, and tell in seconds if it "feels right". Most of the time you can do the same thing with handguns, just by picking them up. You don't wear shoes that are uncomfortable, and you won't become proficient with handguns that are uncomfortable, either.

Just my two cents.....

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife has a Ruger SR9c and is very happy with it. The Kel-Tec PF9 is compact and light. Light = recoil. The new Ruger LC9 is a possibility as well as the Kahr pistols. Small hands need smaller grips. There are a lot of good choices out there now as the CCW market has caused a change in design trends. There are some nice 380s out there too.

14. DeniseEMTB

DeniseEMTB New Member

Thank you guys so very much! I really didn't think I would get many replies. But you have shown me that this IS the website that I need to spend more time on reading about all the different things that will concern me. There have been things that you have mentioned that never even crossed my mind, but because you all are experienced in this, it has really helped me!
    I loved the video that a couple of you posted with the woman talking about different ways to carry! That was great!!
    I've also looked at several of the links as well.
    I found a gun that I'm not familiar with, but I know that the name behind it is a good brand. It's a "Bodyguard 380". Do you have any experience with it? I'd like to hear your opinions on it. I know this really isn't the place to probably as this question, but since you guys know my situation, I thought maybe it would be better here....
    Again, thank you so much for the kindness and concern that you've given me!

15. DeniseEMTB

DeniseEMTB New Member

I forgot to add that the Bodyguard is made by S&W, but I'm sure you knew that already. ;)

16. Jay

Jay New Member

I"m not familiar with that particular model, but S&W is a fine name brand. There are some who will tell you that .380 is a bit small for personal defense, but I would offer that shot placement is much more important than caliber. Even if you carried a cannon, it wouldn't do any good if you couldn't hit your target.

Shop a bit... shopping is good. :)

17. CA357

18. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

My wife carrys the LCP and switches it up with the LCR. She just got a Sig Sauer P250, she is really enjoying that.

19. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Ankle carry, and packs enough to punch....... Take a look at the Ruger LCP.

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Denise - Welcome to the FTF Community. As you can see, we have a good group of folks here that love to talk small arms and are willing to share.

My first question for any shooter, but especially a female, is how much shooting have you done in your life? How much pistol time have you got under your belt?

This is important because it will lend itself to how much in the way of "mechanics" we can recommend in a pistol.

By way of example: If you grew up shooting with your dad and brothers/sisters and have been shooting for decades, perhaps a semi auto, even with a manual safety would be a possibility.

If you have very limited skill with a firearm: A revolver, preferably hammerless so all you have to do is pull and squeeze might be more your speed.

Help us help you. :)