Gun Etiquette - Scary Situation

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mcfroggin, Jun 21, 2011.

1. mcfroggin

mcfroggin New Member

I took some friends of mine (gun virgins) out into the middle of nowhere to teach them how to shoot. We were literally in the middle of the desert on public land.

After the lesson was over, everyone got in the car while I finished packing up the guns in the back of the SUV. While I am packing up, two guys in a Jeep Wrangler pull up carrying hand guns in one hand and beers in the other. I find this concerning, so I slip a 9mm into the back of my shorts. My carry weopon was in the front seat of my car.

The driver of the Wrangler asks what we were shooting at. I notion at a bunch of cans downrange. The passenger of the Wrangler pulls out his handgun and empties his mag randomly at targets over 50 yards away. :eek:

With one person needing to reload, I mentioned that we were all practicing tactical defense situations with our carry weopons (a lie), and while mentioning that the range was theirs, I made a brisk move to the driver's seat of my car. All the while, my hand is very near the 9mm in the back of my shorts and my eyes watching the 2 guys. When I drive off, I noticed my friends had already reloaded my packed guns and had them sitting on their laps. :D

Is there not some proper gun etiquette about driving up to random people holding handguns, beer/handguns, shooting randomly around unsuspecting others, etc.?

Any advice on how I could have handled the situation better? I have to admit I was a little freaked out.

2. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Honestly, you reacted exactly how I would have. I would have said as little as I could while I cautiously finished packing up and get the hell out of there. I would assume they were too intoxicated to drive let alone shoot. Plus, not knowing their intentions I think you did exactly the right thing.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, this.

There are many shortages out there, but it seems there is an

INFINITE SUPPLY of morons with poor judgment, and obviously,

more money than brains...

I don't generally rack a round into the tube, even during CCW.

But for my own protection, I've made a couple of exceptions in the

past, in situations just like this.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You met some of these:

asshat_by_thundercake.jpg

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I think I set a speed record getting the hell out of Dodge the last time

this happened.

I just unloaded the guns,threw it all in a box, drove off, and sorted it all out

later.

6. moonpie

moonpie New Member

sounds like the rednecks got a good laugh at the expense of some city folks. look at it from the other side ; its their territory they pull up and find a vehicle that obviously doesn't belong there with three people acting nervous and suspicious plus there are weapons present.how would you react?

7. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

I always get nervous when people roll up when me and my friends are shooting. Nothing has ever happened as of yet... But me and my friends were shot at by someone (never found out who) with a 12gauge with birdshot. It was surreal, we could hear the pellets ripping through the leaves of the trees coming towards us. It's hard to explain, everything got real slow and quiet except for the sounds of the pellets coming. It seemed like I had all the time in the world to react, I ducked and pulled my hat down with the bill covering my eyes and my hand ontop of it to protect my eyes from any pelets. My friends caught some pellets, they didn't duck. We proceeded to take cover incase the dude shot again and "tactically" moved up the hill towards the direction the pelets came from. We were young so we just did what we would do in paintball and leapfrogged eachother from tree to tree while the person not moving kept their rifle pointed towards the origin of the gunfire... In hindsight we probably should have just ran away but like I said, we were only 17, 18 at the most.

Point is, there are crazy people out there, and I am always weary of people pulling up out of the blue to where I am, and I am always weary of people with guns in their hands approaching me. I think you reacted properly for the situation you were in. I probably would have just put the guns in the vehicle loaded and drove away a ways and then worried about getting them unloaded though.

8. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I sure wouldn't drive up slinging a beer, hopping out of my car and shooting down range like a jackass. I don't care if it's their territory. You don't drink and drive. You don't drink and shoot. And you certainly don't do both together. I would have driven up and introduced myself and attempted to have a conversation with them.

Then again, I'm not an uneducated moron with an I.Q. of 10.

On a side note, never let them believe that you're nervous either.

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

According to the OP, they were on public land — not anybody's territory. When the OP said "...and while mentioning that the range was theirs..." I think it just meant they (the first group) were leaving, and the drunkards (second group) could have the "right of way."

10. orangello

orangello New Member

This was the first thought through my head, "some of the boys pulled up wanting to join in the shootin'". "Territory" is not always as is legally defined.

11. moonpie

moonpie New Member

what i read was two guys pull up and the driver ask what they were shooting at, i saw no reference to this not being polite conversation.the passenger fired at the targets,not at them or their vehicle. as for the beer EVEN HIGHLY EDUCATED MORONS WITH HIGH IQs get DUIs.on a side note give a redneck enough beers and he's not nervous either.mcfroggin i'm not minimizing your post(i wasn't there) but the same has happened to me several times mostly we shoot a little bull but sometimes i do move on

12. moonpie

moonpie New Member

mcfroggin before this gets out of hand were they staggering drunk howling at the moon or did you just see the two beers.we need more details before i have to duck and run

13. Wambli

Wambli Member

When I am in a remote area shooting I am NEVER without a loaded concealed gun. I don't care what I'm shooting at the very least my 1911 or one of my HKs is on my hip ready to go. If I fire my carry gun I load it right back and it goes in the holster on my hip while I pack up. You never know who is going to show up to the sound of gunfire.

A few years back my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I were shooting a few miles out from civilization and like was said before I was out of my range in a car that obviously did not belong there with a pretty female with me. After I was done shooting as we packed away out stuff a pick up truck with 2 guys inside the cab and two more on the bed comes screaming down the dirt road and slides to a stop about 20 feet from my car. I looked at them and when I saw them looking back I waved at them in a friendly manner and kept packing while keeping an eye on them.

One of the guys got up from the bed of the truck with a semi auto Remington hunting rifle with an extended 10 round magazine and let it rip to empty into the berm we were shooting into. Needless to say I was pretty pissed off since my girl and I were obviously not wearing any hearing protection. I looked at the guy as he put on a rather smug smile on his ugly face. I reached into the trunk of my car and before they knew what was going on I pulled out my legally owned BATF registered Powder Springs MAC-10 and let it rip emptying a full mag into the same berm. I droped the mag and inmediately inserted the next one, and looked at the idiot with the rifle and smiled. They threw the truck in reverse and left fast...

I'm sure it was just a couple of local guys trying to have some fun and rattle the folks form out of town a little. I know they didn't mean us any harm or they would have fired at us insted of the berm. Probably just trying to show off in front of the pretty girl or maybe looking for a reason to brawl. Who knows, but once again, peace was established through superior firepower...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  14. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Idiots!!

The last time I went to the range some guys did something similar.

We all arrived about the same time. While everyone else was still unloading their stuff one guy goes yo and shoots all six rounds from his .357 magnum!! :mad:

Don't do what I did next.

"WTF moron!!" Can't you wait until everyone has their plugs or ear protection in?!!" "You didn't ask or say anything??WTF!!??"

Well, anyway....I got a little upset because my ears were ringing. The reaction from everyone else was pretty similar. People were ducking, bobbing, and looking around.
    The guy apologized to the everyone there whom he had deafened.

:eek:

15. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

stuff like that happens a lot esp in the backwoods, my rule of thumb is I see someone in the woods where I'm shooting I take the safety off on my carry gun (if it has one) and unsnap it, I put down my other gun and see what they do. I with my uncle just sitting on his porch drinkin a beer, police van pulls up police in full gear start running towards the tree line. One of the guys walks up to the porch says sorry but they've found a meth house on your neighbors property and we need to get through here.

The guys had a meth lab set up in a barn, the police said it had enough chems in it to take out the barn plus some. You never know what people are doing out in the middle of no where, can't trust people. I probably would have had the both of those jackasses in cuff and on the ground esp, after one of them fired.

16. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Drinking and driving does not automatically make you a moron. It make you an *******.

This does make you an automatic moron. Drinking, driving, and shooting.

17. mcfroggin

mcfroggin New Member

I probably didn't get into enough detail before. When they arrived, the driver was steering with his left hand, which also held a presumed loaded gun (he didn't fire it). The right hand was busy with a beer. The driver never pointed the gun directly at me, but he was swinging it around too much for my liking. When the passenger was shooting down range, he was doing so while chugging a beer standing inside an open top Wrangler. The guy wasn't even looking at the targets while finishing the beer, much less out of the vehicle. He was rapid firing from at least 50 yards away with a compact handgun while drinking. Way too reckless for me to handle. I didn't stay around long enough to estimate how drunk they were.

Had other guys driven up on public land with holstered weopons and asked to join, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

18. mcfroggin

mcfroggin New Member

Exactly. I was just letting them know they could shoot on the land all they wanted as we were leaving.

We were on state owned land.

19. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Having read the more detailed revision I must say I was incorrect. They're not uneducated morons. They're colossal, uneducated morons. And I think an I.Q. of 10 might be a bit over estimated.

20. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

This sort of thing happens all the time when in the backwoods. It seems
    that there is an untold number of morons riding the backroads. The real
    problem is a fair number of them are also criminals. It pays to be careful.