Firearms Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
It is not impossible to have some traces of copper in the barrel from the bullet jackets. Depending upon how fast you were shooting and getting the barrel heated up, you might have a little more. Depending upon the manufacturer the rifling might be a bit rough and cause copper residue too. If you were pulling copper out on the patch it is possible you might have a little copper fouling to clean out still. And, to a certain degree I am just speculating having not seen the material on your patch or knowing anything about your rifle or the shooting you were doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not impossible to have some traces of copper in the barrel from the bullet jackets. Depending upon how fast you were shooting and getting the barrel heated up, you might have a little more. Depending upon the manufacturer the rifling might be a bit rough and cause copper residue too. If you were pulling copper out on the patch it is possible you might have a little copper fouling to clean out still. And, to a certain degree I am just speculating having not seen the material on your patch or knowing anything about your rifle or the shooting you were doing.
More than likely, it is unburnt gun powder that you're seeing.
Well the shots where about may be 2 to 3 minutes apart so not a lot of cooling time .the gun is a 270 m11 savage. I'll try to post a picture of the patch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Looking at the patch I do not see anything alarming in the photo. I see what looks like a couple small particles, but I think they are powder residue. The blue-green coloration does indicate some degree of copper fouling in the barrel, hard to know how much without sticking a scope in there to look. Might be just traces that are not worth worrying about.

2 to 3 minutes between shots should not have heated the barrel excessively.

Is this a new rifle? And, if so, did you clean the bore thoroughly before shooting it? If it was new you are liable to get a bit more crud from it…

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about the multiple pictures my phone glitchedni
Looking at the patch I do not see anything alarming in the photo. I see what looks like a couple small particles, but I think they are powder residue. The blue-green coloration does indicate some degree of copper fouling in the barrel, hard to know how much without sticking a scope in there to look. Might be just traces that are not worth worrying about.

2 to 3 minutes between shots should not have heated the barrel excessively.

Is this a new rifle? And, if so, did you clean the bore thoroughly before shooting it? If it was new you are liable to get a bit more crud from it…
No its an older rifle but it hasn't had a lot of rounds put through it .

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Sorry about the multiple pictures my phone glitchedni
No its an older rifle but it hasn't had a lot of rounds put through it .
From what I can see, I doubt you have anything real serious to worry about. You could run some solvent through it again and a dry patch on a jag after about five minutes to see if you are still getting much blue/green (copper) on it. But even minute traces of copper will tend to turn your patch green.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Small bits of brass from the cases can also find their way into the bore and chamber. I’ve seen those on my cleaning patches already. If you clean out your locking lug recesses you will find a lot of junk in there that can make its way to the bore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts