gun cleaning & Lubing

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by gunguy9mm, Nov 24, 2010.

1. gunguy9mm

gunguy9mm New Member

For semi auto pistols and rifles, which grease for rails do you use and why did you choose it? Same questions for oil.

2. Logan2302

Logan2302 New Member

I don't use grease on my semi-autos. Oil only.

I use 5 drops of oil on a Glock.

3. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I only use oil on rails--Mobile One.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I use a very light application of Motorcycle chain lube (PJ1). It flows in nicely and then stays put. Plus PJ1 is absolutely horrible on motorcycle chains (flings everywhere), so I had to find an alternative use for it.
    Regular gun oil on everything else. When that runs out, probably Rotella.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I like TetraLube & Tetra grease. For cleaning, I use Hoppe's Elite. If things are really messed up, I use Bore Gel and also Sweet's 7.62.

To just do a wipe down, depending on the firearm, I either use RemOil or G96.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Wilson Combat Moly Grease for my rails on my 1911. It stay where I put it and it is as slick as snot on ice.

I HATE remoil.

Another good lube is Fluid Film Dano50 I think is the vendor here on FTF. Good stuff slicks everything right up.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i use breakfree clp. light coat has always been enough. i am a gun cleaning fanatic. in the army on field excersise using my weapon or not it got cleaned everyday. nowadays when i use one of mine it gets cleaned with at least a basic wipe down as soon as practical. i dont put grease on mine.

9. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I have been using Mobile 28 for years, only on the slide and groove, it's a nasty looking red colored grease but has worked well in my guns. and I get it for free:confused:

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What does the manufacturer say?

A light coat on the barrel near the bushing area.
    1 drop on the hood area.
    A little grease on the frame rails and sear/hammer contact area
    A drop near the hammer pivot point.

11. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

I'll 3rd Mobil 1. Been running it in ARs and H&Ks. Good stuff. A qt. will last ya forever. Only drawback, where to install the oil light.:D

12. staudisglock

staudisglock New Member

butter

try gunbutter its cheap and will last for a long time pluse it stays put

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'm another Mobil 1 guy. Been using it on all my guns for years and have never had a problem...

14. LightArtisan

LightArtisan New Member

Mobil1, interesting! I guess if it's good enough for 10,000 mile oil changes it's gotta be good for slides too.

15. jca1

jca1 New Member

I use FluidFilm, Wilson Combat oil, and tool grease.

16. freefall

freefall New Member

All the Mobil 1 responders seem to be from southern states. How does it work in cold temps? My cousin swears by dry graphite. I worry about its retention in place. Cold weather lube input please. Preferably from someone who knows...

17. Bushman

Bushman Member

One more Mobil 1 user here. Use it on heavy contact parts. Ed's Red during cleaning takes care of the rest.

18. gunsavy

gunsavy New Member

+1 on the Mobil 1

19. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. If you use Mobil 1, you can go 8,000 miles before you have to lube the gun again. ;) :cool:

20. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

It's synthetic, it is made to flow and work in sub-temperatures as well.

I use AMSOIL synthetic as well as Mobile 1 and Fluid Film as my primary gun lube/protectant.

"AMSOIL is specifically engineered to function under rigorous conditions and extreme temperatures. For example, since AMSOIL contains no waxy contaminants, it will flow readily at very low temperatures resulting in easier starting and almost instant lubrication in cold weather. AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 10W-40 and 10W-30 Motor Oils have pour points of -60ºF and -76ºF, which give them actual service temperatures of -50ºF and -66ºF!

Also, AMSOIL Synthetic Oil molecules are of uniform size and shape so there are no lighter portions to oxidize and cause the oil to thicken. Because there are no waxes or contaminants in synthetic oils, the pour points of AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants will vary little over their service life. AMSOIL Synthetics are also blended with a higher degree of lubricity. This means they are extra slippery. By markedly reducing friction and wear, AMSOIL makes it possible for critical, moving metal parts to last longer."

Technilube.com - Cold Weather Performance