Firearms Talk banner
1161 - 1176 of 1176 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I still use Hoppes #9 on my barrels. Break Free CLP
and believe it or not, LSA on my AR's as the smoke comes out between the charging handle and top half and goes right into your shooting eye if you are using something else. I learned this in NRA highpower rifle matches.
I've been using a synthetic grease on my 1911 but will soon switch over to Wheel bearing grease as it is much the same stuff and a whole lot cheaper.

·
Registered
158 Posts
1911'' like to run wet , after cleaning with the charcoal lighter fluid I'll lightly grease the rails and barrel bushing. I only shoot 50 rounds through my 1911 every range trip , I also flush out the magazines. Did you ever give the charcoal lighter fluid a try, believe me it does a nice job.
Chris

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I sure your charcoal fluid works great. So does brake cleaner from O'reilly's. Matter of fact, rubbing alcohol works well too. I have used that a few times.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Brake cleaner come up alot as a cleaner , haven't tried it yet , I started out with the charcoal lighter fluid to flush out my benchrest trigger . Then used it on the whole gun , bolt actions ,1911 and revolvers. Cleans up pretty fast. Rubbing alcohol I guess in a pinch it would be fine , for that matter a old bottle of vodka could do the trick.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Brake cleaner come up alot as a cleaner , haven't tried it yet , I started out with the charcoal lighter fluid to flush out my benchrest trigger . Then used it on the whole gun , bolt actions ,1911 and revolvers. Cleans up pretty fast. Rubbing alcohol I guess in a pinch it would be fine , for that matter a old bottle of vodka could do the trick.
I use non-chlorinated BC on my guns when really dirty and it removes all of it. Lube it up good afterwards. On some guns, like my Hi Point 995, I just run a snake through it and flood/flush it out with GT85 and it's good for another 1500 or so rounds. Kind of a gun that's ugly but won't quit and eats everything. Minimal maintenance required. Brake cleaner works good on a very dirty AR too. Just lube it good afterwards.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Brake cleaner does a good job loosening up carbon deposits in the barrell only real problems I can see are that it's probably not a good idea to let it get on the stock be it wood or fibreglass and that it dries fairly quickly when applied but it does do a good job.
After I run a patch through a few times I then run something like SWEETS or similar through and let it sit for 5-10 minutes depending on what the instructions say.

So who cleans their gun after every outing or do you clean it after say 2-3 outings unless it's been covered in dirt or mud or when accuracy starts to fall away?
I clean my centrefires probably after every 2nd or 3rd outing depending on how much it's used or if I've been away in the back country and been in dusty conditions like been on the quad bike chasing pigs and my .22 gets cleaned when the accuracy starts to fall away. I do wipe them down after use with WD40 just to get rid of my fingerprints and any surface rust that may appear but when I clean them they get a real good scrub down interna and external.
If I've been away in the dust I'll even pull the bolts down and clean them out and use sewing machine oil sparingly on the places where the firing pin slides and the extractors work.
In the scrub I've always got a cleaning kit with me if I'm away for a few days or a week for a bit of maintenace and if I have to I'll soak the bolt in petrol to get rid of any grit that may accumulate inside the bolt and then drop some oil in it.

As an example of dirt getting inside an action or magazine this is the amount of gunk that was inside the magazine of my Marlin 45/70 from chasing pigs on quad bikes. I noticed that the feed was getting a bit sticky and cycling the action was getting"gritty" so I pulled the mag and action apart and this is what one of the rags came out like,

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
For ARs, i run a dirty BCG and bolt through the ultrasonic cleaner. Little simple green or dawn ultra and hot water. Also poly pistols, also slides, also pretty much anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I clean after firing and usually just use a cleaning kit CLP and depending on if i am using milsurp. Then I also use the spray gun scrubber and its xounter part barricade

·
Registered
294 Posts
Never understood "wet" 1911s. Shoot mine pretty dry and they all function perfectly. Even my 1911s with well over 20k rounds shoot accurately (25-50 yds) with no issues. Seen guys at the range have to clean their glasses after firing their wet guns.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Never understood "wet" 1911s. Shoot mine pretty dry and they all function perfectly. Even my 1911s with well over 20k rounds shoot accurately (25-50 yds) with no issues. Seen guys at the range have to clean their glasses after firing their wet guns.
So a logical person has to wonder what was accomplished other than well lubed glasses.

If gun makers tightened up tolerances and someone designed cleaner burning powder they could possibly "thin up" gun lube. Nobody in their right mind enjoys cleaning filthy guns. What other benefits would tighter tolerances bring? If a Toyota can run good on 0W-16 without oil consumption, better mileage, more power, and cooler running engines, what can be done with guns? I never believed in thin car oil until I got one and it runs better than I ever thought possible with a lot of miles on it already. No problems. Makes me wonder about guns. Of course, arguments for a "loser" gun could be made too. Just thinking again.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Guess it comes down to what out feel comfortable doing I give a good cleaning to all !y firearms after shooting , some don't. I use charcoal lighter fluid and grease areas with hard contact , some clean and lube the way they want , who's to say whats right or wrong , I just post what works for me , take it or leave it. If your firearm is in good working order then it works for you.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I always clean firearms after they have been used, usually the same day before I go to bed. I prefer all my firearms to be clean and properly lubed, ready for usage. As far as how I clean and what to use for lube, I have found that typically just turns into a urinating contest with most everyone trying to justify their procedure and products as the best. There are a lot of good products available for cleaning and for lubrication and protection. I have experimented with several and settled on a few.
Most bore cleaners work reasonably well if directions are followed, yeah, some are better than others; some stink and some don’t. Some are more effective on copper fouling others on carbon build up. Many, in my opinion are too expensive; they are not really more effective than cheaper products or old standbys that have been around forever.
CLP’s are good at everything…or so they claim. One substance does it all; cleans, lubes and protects. But they are a lot like one size fits all; they fit, just not real good. CLP’s tend to do everything, but not the best at anything (my opinion). Don’t misunderstand, I am not against CLP’s, I just don’t think they are the cat’s meow.
Lubes (oil and grease) all mostly work pretty good if it is a known quality product, from automobile oil and grease to expensive gun oils and grease. It pays to think through the differences when you choose. An example would be a comparison between Slip 2000 EWL and Mobil 1 synthetic. If you put a thin coat of EWL on the barrel and inside of the slide exposed metal it will slowly work it’s way into the metal and actually look mostly dry. When firing it does not tend to spray off in your face, but it is well lubed. Mobile 1 is an outstanding lube, but if you use it the same way as the EWL you will get a bit of oil shower in the first few rounds until the excess is gone. Same amounts of lube act differently, both are excellent lube. Some grease will dry up and turn into a cake like substance over time, pay for good grease for those slide rails and the gun will run great with minimal wear for thousands of rounds and plenty of years.
A word about gun scrubber/brake cleaner. I never use that stuff on guns…but I do use it to quickly clean my bore brushes after use…course, that’s just me…;)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I've concluded that cleaning guns is like driving cars. No two people do it the same. No two people maintain them the same. I don't always clean my guns the same way and have never had a problem related to lube or cleaning. I have concluded a lot of people get anal about cleaning guns. That's a good thing. That's about it for me. Choose a chemical and use it.

·
Premium Member
I hope I never need show anyone....
2,531 Posts
I've concluded that cleaning guns is like driving cars. No two people do it the same. No two people maintain them the same. I don't always clean my guns the same way and have never had a problem related to lube or cleaning. I have concluded a lot of people get anal about cleaning guns. That's a good thing. That's about it for me. Choose a chemical and use it.
That pretty much sums it up. But I do like to hear what people like to use

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
If your interested in how I do it here goes. Ed’s Red which is 1 part kerosene 1 part Dextron automatic transmission fluid 1 part mineral spirits and 1 part acetone Mix well. It’s an excellent bore cleaner which is really cheap to make . I’m using the stuff I made 15 years ago from a recipe a friend gave me . I use it for all types of parts cleaning not just guns. Leaves a lubricant film when done.

1161 - 1176 of 1176 Posts