Firearms Talk banner
1,141 - 1,160 of 1,176 Posts
Yes I do run my bolts "wet" but I never seem to get the level of fouling that requires scraping. Even after 2-300 rds on a 3gun practice range or hundreds of rounds at Prarrie rats.
you must be in some good prairie dog towns to be using a .223.
Many years ago, we had "exclusive" use of a white mans ranch down in the middle of the Rosebud Rez in SD.
We'd blast through 700 rounds in a 12 hour day and they'd still be running over each other.
I even "regressed" to a 22 magnum as they were that close.
He sold out and moved on.
Then we had to hunt public lands etc and opening shots started at 500 yards.
I moved up to 243's which were good to maybe 750 yds on a good day.
I even have a 6.5 x .284 set up for 1000 yards.
Last time I went was in 07. Got rained on for 6 our of 7 days in Gillette, WY.
It is a LONG drive from Phoenix (about 1400 miles one way)
I think my dogging days are over sadly.
All my friends are getting old and crippled. Heck, one of em who is a good 20 years younger then me can't even shoot anymore!! Sad
ENJOY it while you can!! I had about 8 good years of it out of about 13 years. Got rained out more then once.
I better get off this topic.
and now back to gun cleaning!!!

I just use Hoppes number 9, and CLP and it's worked great for many years. Never any rust, and I used to live in MN with all that humidity.

We hunt them on my place and my neighbors lands. From one high knoll we can see three seperate "towns". One is 250-375, the second is 75-150 and the third is 500 and peters out at 800+. Probably 10k dogs visible from that one spot. Spot is so good we built three semi permanent concrete benches to shoot from. Half hour drive off the access road, through three cattle gates. We shoot them because of the cattle herds, yeh sure, only because of the herds...;)

I do some dogging in southern Colorado and eastern Wyoming also. Most cattlemen are glad to have them eliminated, once they know you won't shoot cattle by accident. Makes a lot of friends. We also get a few yotes who come in to clean up in the evenings.

I mainly use 223 and 22-250 for dogs but I'll carry a 22 mag, 22 air rifle, 22 LR and a larger bolt rifle at times. 7-08 or 7x57 are my favorites.

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?[/B]

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.[/QUOTE]

I clean my pistols after every range session. Except my 22 which I clean the outside but leave the barrel alone to keep it seasoned for the ammo I'm using.

I use MPro7 as a cleaner. It's the best I've found. No smell to disturb the wife and cleans the gun completely. If there is a stubborn buildup, just let it sit for an hour and then use a toothbrush to remove the dirt.

:smile gallery:

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
I clean my pistols after every range session. Except my 22 which I clean the outside but leave the barrel alone to keep it seasoned for the ammo I'm using.

I use MPro7 as a cleaner. It's the best I've found. No smell to disturb the wife and cleans the gun completely. If there is a stubborn buildup, just let it sit for an hour and then use a toothbrush to remove the dirt.

:smile gallery:[/QUOTE]
I bring a Gatorade bottle of oil to the range, then when I am done shooting, drop the BCG in the bottle, close it up, and drive home. Same concept as when you get through eating and you aren't going to do dishes for a while. The oil loosens up the carbon so it doesn't harden before you get around to cleaning. When I start cleaning, I wipe the carrier assembly thoroughly, put a light coat of lube on it, take a clean patch through the barrel, put it all back together, and I'm done. These days I use Mobile 1 5W30, same as my automobile.

Reactions: dwmiller
I've insulted more than one person by letting them handle a forearm, then wiping it down before I put it back in the safe. I'm quite certain it will happen again. I have a goldenrod in my safe, and an extra on hand, just in case.

Why is it an insult? If they were foolish enough to put paw prints on metal surfaces, why are you at fault for wiping it down? If it's combat Tupperware and they didn't touch the slide, ok, your annal but otherwise, it's called due diligence. Try informing them prior to handling them the firearm. Can save you a lot of work and when you educate them, God willing, they don't piss off some hot-head down the road and get their *** whipped. Also,good opportunity to teach safety.

Remember: Even an unloaded gun can go off once a year. (Russian Adage)

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
I clean after every range trip. I'm anal and OCD so I clean more than the necessary minimum. My AR's can handle a level of fouling that I'll never allow them to reach. 50-200 rds depending on what type of shooting it was today. Mainly a varmint hunter and a bench shooter at this point. I used to shoot 3gun and hunt a lot more but real world obligations put a crimp on that.

For the AR's I use 5-w30 synthetic on all the surfaces. CLP for the stubborn spots. Also my bolts are stored wet in baggies, outside the rifles.

My 10/22's are all bench/target guns so get bores cleaned and oiled by round counts. Bores are allowed to season and not cleaned sparkling. 5-w30 here also, along with CLP.

Pistols get a wipe down once a month, or after range time, whichever comes first. I mainly shoot "Tupperware" as carry guns so no real need to overdo...

My classic guns are much more thoroughly cleaned, after each time they come out. This includes my WW1-WW2 snipers, classic bolt rifles, FAL's, 1911's and my colt single actions. Plus an armoury level cleaning once a year, on the whole arsenal. Takes about 3 days...

I also like Hoppes #9 as an alternative to CLP. Tired some foaming bore cleaner a few months ago and liked it. Just can't remember which brand it was without looking at my bench.

Reactions: JimRau and Dallas53
all of mine are periodically cleaned, inspected and lubed, regardless of whether they have been shot or not.

preventative maintenance, is something i have preached for many years, and has been the backbone of my professional career in mechanics. i learned a long time ago, that preventing failures, or catching them early was much cheaper in the long run. i see no reason not to apply the same logic to the guns i own. for two reasons. i have invested quite a bit in the cost of buying those guns, so it makes perfect sense to take as good of care as i can of them to keep then in perfect working order, and to make sure they retain as much of their original value as possible. secondly, if i may be in situation where i may have to rely upon a gun to defend myself, it only makes sense to ensure that it's in perfect working order.

it is good policy. Just inform them you are wiping it down as skin oils have acid in them and WILL corrode medal.
BTW....redheads (natural of course) supposedly have a higher acid content in their skin oil.
When you see a fingerprint permanently etched in a beautiful blue job you understand why it is good policy.

I see allot mentioned about the berrel's.
Thats nice and all but what brings the fun and games to a screeching hault is the workings of the bolt and action group.
All that burnt powder, grit, gum and oxidized lubricants can and do stick to the parts and structer.
Grit and grime work down into extractor plunger spring wells and start tamping in the firing pin hole little by litte, soo just how does one get to all that slop, goo and grit?
In the past I was like many and picked, swabbed and scrubbed at what I could.
Thinking about it, the ultrasconic at work would be a great way to clean parts like slides and bolt assemblies, trigger groups, dunk it in a tank of cleaning fluid like heating oil, ATF and Acetone and give it a good ultrasconic workout for 4-8 hours.

https://www.montanasportingjournal.com/home/2018/3/23/iir1fsqqir3q7wj9wjwevw6iqau8y1

I clean after every range trip. I'm anal and OCD so I clean more than the necessary minimum. My AR's can handle a level of fouling that I'll never allow them to reach. 50-200 rds depending on what type of shooting it was today. Mainly a varmint hunter and a bench shooter at this point. I used to shoot 3gun and hunt a lot more but real world obligations put a crimp on that.

For the AR's I use 5-w30 synthetic on all the surfaces. CLP for the stubborn spots. Also my bolts are stored wet in baggies, outside the rifles.

My 10/22's are all bench/target guns so get bores cleaned and oiled by round counts. Bores are allowed to season and not cleaned sparkling. 5-w30 here also, along with CLP.

Pistols get a wipe down once a month, or after range time, whichever comes first. I mainly shoot "Tupperware" as carry guns so no real need to overdo...

My classic guns are much more thoroughly cleaned, after each time they come out. This includes my WW1-WW2 snipers, classic bolt rifles, FAL's, 1911's and my colt single actions. Plus an armoury level cleaning once a year, on the whole arsenal. Takes about 3 days...

I also like Hoppes #9 as an alternative to CLP. Tired some foaming bore cleaner a few months ago and liked it. Just can't remember which brand it was without looking at my bench.
I do not clean as often as you but I use and recommend the same products!:) There are SO MANY new products out to day it can be confusing to a newbie!:confused: But what I say is 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'!!!;)

all of mine are periodically cleaned, inspected and lubed, regardless of whether they have been shot or not.

preventative maintenance, is something i have preached for many years, and has been the backbone of my professional career in mechanics. i learned a long time ago, that preventing failures, or catching them early was much cheaper in the long run. i see no reason not to apply the same logic to the guns i own. for two reasons. i have invested quite a bit in the cost of buying those guns, so it makes perfect sense to take as good of care as i can of them to keep then in perfect working order, and to make sure they retain as much of their original value as possible. secondly, if i may be in situation where i may have to rely upon a gun to defend myself, it only makes sense to ensure that it's in perfect working order.
This is one of the first 'lessons' learned growing up as a farmer/rancher, "If you take care of your equipment, your equipment will take care of you"!:cool: Most of our 'youth' today do not get this 'lesson'! :( This applies to ALL of your equipment! :)

Horse
Charcoal lighter fluid for triggers and I use it on my 1911's . If you want more lube you can go with a 50/50 mix with your favorite lube , I mix it with Ballistol. Give it a try and let me know how you like it , you will be pleasantly surprised. I've been cleaning my guns with it for years.
Chris

1,141 - 1,160 of 1,176 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.