Gun camos SHTF

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by SmithKid308, Sep 10, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

What will you do for camo on your person and your weapons in the environment you are in so what ever or whoever is danger to you and your family

2. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

"Realtree Hardwoods" works best in my AO. Home Defense rifles are in olive/brown splotch pattern.

3. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

How can you cover the glare of a black scope ?

4. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

My scopes are painted to match the rifle. The lenses..... well, there ARE limitations. :rolleyes:

5. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Well I'm not painting my Ar or my m14 so any other suggestions like shrubs or grass from ur surrounding area ?

6. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Get a burlap sack and shred the **** outta it. Wrap it around the entire thing, and if you're careful, you can fringe the burlap enough that you can see out of it if it's over a scope.

Oh, also, spray paint the burlap, and after you've shredded it enough, you can roll it in some leaves or grass or dirt and it'll pick that up.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I paint all of mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. freefall

freefall New Member

Rock, you too are an occasion of sin for me. Nearly every time you post pics you make me covet my neighbors possessions.

9. ahole

ahole New Member

Look at duracoat now before SHTF. And if you dont want to paint the barrel and receiver look into powder coat. Me im going to start the proses next month on a duracoat job on a mini 30 stainless tactical with a scout scope. and a druacoat stock for one of my FALs and powder coat the upper and lower and barrel. I and going with battle ship gray on the powder coat not sure yet on the duracoat.

10. moonpie

moonpie New Member

depends on the nature of the SHTF. for a nuclear emergency i would use a glow in the dark paint. in a biological attack everything would be covered with puke. SHTF is just to vague a term term to base a plan.

11. ahole

ahole New Member

Thats why you paint it now so you have what you want and don't go running and graying at. what ever later. Also you might want to do some research on camo learn the art so you can implement on the go.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've put camo tape over the front and left a hole only about a 1/4" in the center. It cuts down on the light coming through the tube, makes a dimmer picture, but reduces glare off the front. there is also some type of honeycomb rubber insert that comes on some tactical sights I saw overseas, but I don't know the make and model of the scope, or even if you can get the insert by itself as an aftermarket.

13. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Something i picked up... from tv(oh no!) Is to take straw-type grass and have stick it in the front of the lense area(works better with a sunshade:p) and while you lose some brightness, you also lose "the black hole" when somebody's looking for you. At least that's what they said on top sniper. It was actually better than the average gun show on tv.

14. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

They're callled "killflash" and they make them for a few sets of optics, particularly the ACOG and AimPoint sights, and I've seen some other variants pop up lately.

15. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I don't imagine any of us civilians will ever be involved in such a serious sniper standoff that the only way to find each other is through the black hole of our scopes :p .

16. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Lol Idk... I do hate to reference airsoft... but if people are going to get "serious" enough about it to the point that they can send a little bb to tag someone at 100 yards(which i must say, takes pretty considerable skill) imagine what those same people will do if they get to try and tag someone at 900 yards:p
    Edit:that black hole might be the one thing they forgot about:p

17. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Are you saying people with suped-up airsoft guns that make shots at 100 yards in competition will attempt or be justified to shoot everyone they see within hundreds of yards?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  18. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

I'm saying that they didn't lack competence in field craft nor marksmanship.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

pagj17 thanks, I'm gonna start shopping.