Gun Cabinets

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by CA357, Jun 27, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

My buddy has a glass fronted gun cabinet that holds around six long guns horizontally. It's also got a base with three or four doors. I'd guess it stands about six feet tall.

I've been looking in thrift shops and used furniture stores, but just can't find one. I've looked online, but many of them are either custom or just plain overpriced.

I don't want a wall rack, I don't want them getting all dusty. That's why I'd like a cabinet. I'd like to be able to look at them without a lot of hassle.

What's the deal? Are they just unpopular or are people just paranoid and only use gun safes anymore?

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I never did like the idea of all my guns on display....

3. CA357

I understand the need for security, but I want to have the cabinet in my cave. Nobody goes in there unless they're invited.

4. OC357

OC357 New Member

Long story short..........I had a really nice display case once. Then I had a gun stolen. The display case got sold and now I keep just a couple of things and a bunch of ammo behind a fake wall. Nothing out in the open, not even a speedloader. Basicly I don't have a lot except SHTF stuff and a couple of magnums and everything gets worn and used. Sold all the closet queens.

That's just me.

OC

5. AusLach

AusLach New Member

I've been thinking about the same thing CA. At the property my GF's parents have just bought is an 8x8 metre secure shed that is about to be turned into the gun/reloading room and home-butchery, and a display cabinet would look a lot nicer than a safe IMO.

Believe it or not, we can use a display cabinet for firearm storage down here, so long as it meets the following requirements...
    • Permanantly fixed to the walls and floor if cabinet weighs less than 150 kgs
    • Minimum of 3mm thick steel plate or 6mm hardwood sides
    • Minimum of 6.8mm thick laminated glass front
    • Separate, lockable ammo recepticle
    • Internal hinges, locks etc.
    • 3 or more locking points

Only problem is, no one down here makes a cabinet that meets these specs! :mad:

Could make for a good summer project through :cool:

6. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Hey, have you checked Bass Pro and Cabelas?! I got mine last christmas for $99 from bass pro, and I love it. It is by no means anything spectacular, but it has a lock. I also keep it in a area of the house only traveled by moi. I'll post a picture here shortly :)

AuLach- Could you buy one that meets all but one of the requirement, and adjust it to meet standard? For example, IF it only has one lock, you can incorporate 2 more "locking points". Just a thought.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  7. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

8. Jay

Jay New Member

I'm putting a new safe in my new gun room this week, and a 10-gun, glass-front cabinet will be displaced. Two shelves inside, and two locking doors for storage underneath. Not an heirloom, but sturdy. Has a few dings, but no gouges, or missing chunks. If you want to ship it from Indiana out there, you can have it.

9. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I apologize for the crappy pics, they were taken with my cell phone. Our camera is currently being used by my step-dad at MDA camp.

This first pic kind of shows the gun case. You can see it's really basic and if you look at the background you can see that it's underneath our stairs in the basement. It's also not very wide (which is why It's so hard to get a good pic), so it's not a place that would be sought out by criminals.
    IMAG0174.jpg

This just shows the separate bottom compartment it has for ammo, cleaning supplies, etc.
    IMAG0175.jpg

10. CA357

Thanks for the feedback Gents.

Jay, do you have to get it gone right away?

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Aus,
    Can the building itself be a "gun safe"? If I build my eventual bunker it will meet all of those requirements!

12. AusLach

AusLach New Member

I think so, as long as the door and door frame is reinforced, and the firearms are not visible from outside of the room. Keep in mind that the requirements I listed are for New South Wales, Australia; your laws and requirements are likely to be much different ;)

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I live in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia. It may or may not be as bad as in New South Wales Aus, but it is different.

14. CA357

Tell me about it. :rolleyes:

15. Jay

Jay New Member

Not at all. I not only outgrew the cabinet, but the room as well. I'm building a new room to house the new safe. If you want it, the cabinet can sit right here, until you're ready for it.

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

CA357, I wish you were closer to me because gun cabinets are everywhere. I think a lot of people are moving to safes and cabinets show up at yard sales, pawn shops, on craigslist.....you name it and usually on the cheap.

17. CA357

Jay, I've been thinking about your generous offer, but I think the cost to ship it would be prohibitive. Just go ahead and do what you want with it.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Egad, Panda- I have the identical gun cabinet. Bought it in 1970. Have it in the man-cave.

Along with 2 other cabinets, 2 wall racks, one stand up rack, and 3 safes. Looking for either a 12 step program- or another safe. :p

19. Jay

Jay New Member

I figured it might cost more than a new one bought out there. Best of luck in locating one closer to home.

20. CA357

Thanks Jay. You guys have given me an idea though, I'm going to check Craigslist. I haven't done that.