gun barrel length on amt 380 backup

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by GaryE, Aug 25, 2010.

1. GaryE

GaryE New Member

Hi, I have two amt 380 backups and was measuring the barrel length
    of both of the pistols. What I came up with is 2 and 5/8 on one and the other
    measured 1/32 short of 2 and 5/8. Will this pistol with the barrel 1/32 shorter
    be ok or am I looking at a potential problem with the shorter barrel? The gun
    is a semi auto that is stated as a single shot. I was told that a gunsmith polished up the ramp and other parts of the gun to make the action smoother.
    I guess the bottom line is 1/32 that much of a measurement that should be
    a priority or nothing to be concerned with. The gun is totally stainless steel.
    Thanks! Gary

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I can't see where 1/32 difference would cause any issues.

3. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I can't think of any reason it would be a problem, that gun must be at least a decade old by now...

4. GaryE

GaryE New Member

Just Checking before shooting

Hi, just picked it up not to long ago and haven't shot it yet. Wanted to ask
    just so I had no surprises later. Thanks Gary

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Are they both the same model? Are the serial number series the same? AMT moved factories at least a couple of times. The design specs probably changed a bit, too. If the guns both function properly don't sweat it.

Be very careful about a "gunsmith" polishing up parts. Many a gun has been RUINED by a nimrod with a Dremel.

6. GaryE

GaryE New Member

Hi, didn't think about that but your right the specs are different with each
    company. I have a new barrel that was never used and it is a different measurement than either of the guns. These two are from el monte but from
    what I can see even some of those parts are slightly different in measurement.
    Guess thats just the way the company made them. Wonder if the company was
    known for that?