Gun Ban defeated in Baton Rouge

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by JWagner, Aug 26, 2014.

1. JWagner

JWagner New Member

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

3. stagar15dj

stagar15dj New Member

Sweet! Always glad to see crap like this overturned.

4. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i've always thought it should be illegal for a person to carry a firearm CC or otherwise while intoxicated or on any drug that could impair their judgment....meaning ONE drink should be a serious offense if they are carrying a firearm. price you pay for a heavy responsibility imo. i assume most would agree with this sentiment.

but i will never agree that CC should be illegal where alcohol is sold or served. it is the responsibility of the person carrying the firearm to do it responsibly imo. what other people are doing is truly insignificant.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

as far as alcohol and firearms, i think the guidelines used for vehicle should apply. if you are too intoxicated to drive, you are more than likely too intoxicated to be carrying a firearm.

6. hawkguy

a good starting point, but i think those carrying a gun should be held to an even higher standard.

why? easy. a car isn't a self defense weapon. you don't get in a car with the possibly of having to decide if you will use it to take a life to defend another. so comparing a car to a gun in THIS way isn't quite an apple to apple comparison.

when you carry a tool that is intended to potentially be used with deadly force in self defense, one should have NO impairment imo. not one beer. no good could come of it for anyone, especially the CC or OC carrier who had to defend themselves. i promise you it would be used against them, legally drunk or not. and honestly, i think it should be.

whether the law allowed it or not. i would not drink one drop if i chose to carry a firearm in ANY way. just mo.

truthfully, i would say more than ONE drink should merit a DWI in a car as well....i'm not a fan of putting others in serious risk of deadly harm so someone else can have a good time. not. worth. it.

7. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

In Oklahoma, the law is clear that the restriction is on carry in places where alcohol is consumed. Places like liquor stores, grocery stores, etc. are NOT restricted (unless by the owner). Even restaurants are NOT restricted as long as their main focus is selling food.

8. hawkguy

in texas, as i understand it, you may enter where they sell alcohol. but NOT any place that gets over half its revenue from serving alcohol. :confused:

don't really agree....if someone is a designated driver (or they just don't drink), why shouldn't they be allowed to carry in a bar if they DON"t drink? i think its the impairment of the CC holder to be worried about myself. what other people do shouldn't really matter imo.

9. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Wisconsin doesn't have this problem. In the state that has the highest number of drunk driving offenses, cc in bars and drinking while cc has been legal for years.

10. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I can see that line of reasoning. I think that a bar, where people who are not designated drivers can get drunk, is a higher opportunity for an aggressive argument.

Scenario: Designated driver orders water or some virgin drink. Confrontational drunk overhears and questions manhood of driver, tries to get him to have a "real" drink, won't take no for an answer. Words, pushes, pretty soon the driver has a choice to make that he would not have to make if he were not in that situation.

Perhaps that sort of situation is what the lawmakers are trying to minimize by restricting firearms where alcohol is consumed. Just a thought.

11. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Good point.

My point: I rarely go to bars, and when I do its with the wife and kid to eat. The one we frequent has good food, their income is probably 50/50 food/ alcohol. Anyways, obnoxious drunks ate rare there, because the barmaids are responsible to quit serving those that have had enough. Anyone becoming confrontational is asked to leave or forced via po-po.

My point: most decent places to eat serve alcohol, and restricting my ability to defend myself while eating is unconstitutional.

There is a big difference between bars across the street from each other, nevermind the difference between locales, cities, states, etc. Now look at the difference between the place at the lake I occasionally eat: fresh seafood (central Ohio) almost ritzy, piano player, $15-20+ a plate. Stop back three hours later and you can hear the crowd whooping inside from the car in parking lot. That's with the windows up, and the crowd is louder than the DJ.

Do I carry while eating? Absolutely, and I didn't get an alcoholic drink. While going back during the rock and roll mayhem? Not. And for the record, I didn't drink during the mayhem because I was driving, I was surprised at the difference, and likely won't go back at night for the bar.

12. Axxe55

exactly that. it's a starting point. i fully believe that alcohol and guns are a bad combination, just like cars and alcohol. but i'll stand by my assessment that anyone too drunk to drive, is too drunk to be carrying a gun.

13. hawkguy

that, imo, is the exact line of reasoning they use. and i CAN understand it, but don't completely agree with it.

imo, in the scenario you described....trying to deescalate the situation peacefully is the best choice.....armed or unarmed. be the adult when armed, always....this should deflect 99% of real problems imo. if it does not, you must be prepared to walk away...armed or unarmed. once you become an adult imo, school yard brawls should be a thing of the past. people die in drunken fights all the time, no firearm necessary.

honestly, i haven't had anyone try to randomly start anything physical (at a bar) w/me since i was in college. some places have reps for this type of behavior. avoid them.

if you have no "tough guy" image or foolish pride to protect....you should be fine imo in just about any scenario.

14. Axxe55

but you don't carry a gun do you Puppy?:rolleyes:

i mean with all your bravado and tough talk, surely you don't need a gun to be the bad azz you claim to be. or was that just talk?

IIRC, you have to 18 to drink, legally!:p

15. Axxe55

16. hawkguy

in your case, i'm thinking perhaps.......:p

Attached Files:

17. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well most states disagree with you. The penalty if you get caught concealed carrying illegally it is a felony in most states. Upon conviction you forfeit your right to even own any firearms.

Is the potential loss worth the risk? Not to me, or most other responsible adults. But you get to make up your own mind. Just don't you dare whine and snivel, like a three year old, or blame anyone else for your problems if you do get caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

18. Axxe55

i guess not all of us are cut out for being a Mall Cop such as yourself!:p:p

avoidance and deflection of the questions asked are usually signs that a person is lying about what they do, or who they are. further bragging or exaggeration of ones deeds are another classic sign of the pathological liar. stating that the laws don't apply to yourself is another sign of a pathological liar. usually trying to quote the comments of famous people as words such a person lives by, are signs of someone who wants others to think that their life has some historical importance, rather than the mundane life they actually live.

so again, i'm calling BS on you, your stories and your so-called warrior status. you're a liar, a poser and nothing more than an immature juvenile who wants to tell big stories on a forum to make himself appear important to others.

19. mseric

mseric New Member

This ruling in no way affects LA State law Banning firearms in establishments that "Serve" alcohol. That law is unchanged and not affected.

This ruling only affects the City of Baton Rouge and it's city ordinence banning firearms possession in businesses that "Sell" alcohol and their Parking Lots.

It is still illegal to possess a fiream in any establishment the "Serves" alcohol. Parking lots are not gun free zones.

20. Axxe55

you're exactly correct. there is no way i could ever be in your shoes. being a liar and a poser go against my morals and ethics that my father taught me to live by. sad, either your father never took the time to teach you such things, or you ignored him. doesn't matter one or the other, just that it's rather sad and pathetic a person feels the need to play games and lie about themselves on a forum.

several of us have determined why you're an unarmed security guard. this was based on you own comments a while back of why didn't join the the police force and serve. we determined that you tried out, but failed. we suspect that it was the psychological evaluation that failed you from joining the police department. and any LE agency that you were to ever apply to, that has a psychological evaluation and testing as requirements of hiring, wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole. simply because they see you as a danger being in the public with a gun and a badge. i even suspect it's unlikely you can even legally own a gun of any type either, given your mental defects that probably prevent you from being in LE. so for you, being in LE just chafes at your butt, so you went into being a Mall Cop because you think it gives you some self induced manner of self importance.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014