Gun Art anyone?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JPGunworks, Jan 11, 2012.

1. JPGunworks

JPGunworks New Member

Just wanted to share this with my fellow firearm enthusiasts. I made this thing as a final project for my Art101 class. The teacher, recently from New York, made me promise him that it was unloaded and safe to be kept in school.

It's constructed of casings (.45 ACP, .22, one 7.62X54R, and maybe a couple of .22 shorts and .17 HMRs), and a pachmyr grip held together with glue. It is displayed on a piece of two by four that was treated by being doused with lighter fluid and set on fire in my garage. The Ruger New Model Blackhawk was not included in the display but acted as my model during fabrication.
    This rare, exquisite, "Untitled" sculpture will be on display for private viewing at my house in the man cave in about a week or so.

Attached Files:

2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Very nice!

OK. I have not to date posted any pics. But this one I am quite proud of. This is my very first attempt at carving anything complicated. This is all done by hand with knives and chiesels, no Dremel tools or anything (except for the lettering, and I am going to do that by hand someday as well). The wood is a local hardwood that is known for checking and cracking, but I had a stable piece that had seasoned for several years before I touched it. The grips on the revolver are also of the same wood (Madrone) that I made just after doing the carving.

Hope you like it.

[​IMG]

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Guys, both of those are awesome!

4. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Beautiful works of art guys! Permission to use one as my computer's background?

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That probably would have gotten you kicked out of the university I attended. Funny how open minded liberals work....

Nice work!

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Permission granted.

7. JPGunworks

JPGunworks New Member

Nice woodworking Vikingdad. The only thing I've ever been able to whittle was a keychain sized surfboard, without the fin.

My art teacher got a culture shock here in Wisconsin, Someone had to explain to him that deer hunting season had started when half the class showed up in blaze orange and camo. He makes some ink blown things that are pretty cool. I'd like to figure out how he does it so that I can make one in the outline of a 1911.

http://shanemcadams.com/work/gallery/1014

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Thanks, I had time on my hands and the wood just spoke to me.

Looks like he's got some technique but I don't see much art in it. Does he show you how he does it? Some of the greatest artists can demonstrate exactly how they do something but you can't quite do it yourself. I remember an interview with a rock and roll artist, as I remember it was Sammy Hagar (I'll use his name for convenience). Anyhow Sammy was to meet Alex Van Halen in Sammy's studio. Sammy was thrilled and wanted to know what tricks Van Halen used to tweak his guitar so it made that distinctive sound that Van Halen was known for.

Van Halen walks into the studio, after a few minutes of introduction he asks if he can pick up Sammy's axe and play it, Sammy says yes and Van Halen proceeds to rip some of his signature riffs without but tuning the guitar. No tricks, no gimmicks. Just musical talent.

I am not a Van Halen fan, but I can generally recognize his playing.

I hope someday to be able to indulge myself in doing some art. I have a bunch of ideas but no way to make them.

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Just watched "Impossible Shots" on the Outdoor channel. Patrick Flannigan is a gun artist. So are all of the other regulars. regular artists.

10. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you. My wife and daughter thought that both projects were very cool. I'll have to scan some of my gun "flash art" in and post it at some point. Don't worry mods. I'll only put the g rated stuff on.;)

11. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Does this count as art?! :D

Attached Files:

12. 75370

75370 New Member

This is what I consider Gun Art. By the way that is 7 shots.

[​IMG]

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Ha. I do that kind of art, too. :)

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

Nice gun too bad you violated gunfree schoolzone heh. Just a representation of a gun nowadays is eeeeeevil!!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  15. JPGunworks

JPGunworks New Member

The gun never made it to the school, just the art sculpture that strangely resembled a gun depending on how you looked at it ;)

I would definitely frame and hang paper shot targets on the walls of my man cave. When my kids are old enough, thier targets will take precedence over the art class projects on the fridge.

Shane takes normal pen ink and blows it out onto a canvas. Then he takes some household detergent/solvent type chemicals and sprays them on the ink causing it to break down allowing us to see the ink's actual color. I think that the proccess is cool, and that it's cool that most black inks are just other colors that are super concentrated. His stuff really starts getting interesting when he combines the ink with conventional art methods.

The mountian range is one of his combination art works. The 1911 is a photoshop job that I think would be pretty cool. I pulled both of these from his website Shane McAdams - Home .

Attached Files:

16. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

Saw him. 1st time seeing something like that. Would love to go watch him shoot live. Hubby tells me that range isn't far from us.

Sent by BelRockRebel on the DROID RAZR using FirearmsTalk

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

How about some military art? Check out RBPortraits. That's Robert Bates if you can't get results for rbportraits. He's a friend of mine from the Marine Corps, he's got a good bit of art on display at the Marine Corps museum, and I think the NRA may have some too.

18. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

This is what my front door looks like. I like to put art from my kids on our front door, but I was thinking my zombie target art might make just the right statement to visitors!

Attached Files:

19. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

Sorry for the multiple pics, app kept saying it crashed. 1st pic went through though.