Gun and Ammo rush dying down.

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by BullseyePrecision, Jan 9, 2013.

1. BullseyePrecision

BullseyePrecision New Member

I was in my local LGS last night and they had 20 + ARs on the shelves and a pretty good stock of 556 and 223 ammo. And there weren't ppl lined up to buy them. Anyone else experiencing this in their areas. This is in SE KS

2. gunsavy

gunsavy New Member

Went to gander mountain and they had 5.56, but I could only buy 5 boxes. Still no rifles but the shops that do still want 2000+ for rifles only worth 1000 ( based on quality not availability ) i.e. r guns , del-ton.

3. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

It seems the amount of people at stores is dying down but ammo availability here (VA peninsula) seems pretty well limited. Shotgun and various rifle ammo: easy. Handgun ammo: depends on caliber but everything except 9mm seems relatively easy to find. Most stores I've been to might have a box or two of hollow points for 9mm. Black rifles are still either completely gone or they only have a few in stock.

4. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Can't tell if the panic has died off yet because ammunition is out in the local distribution warehouses. Can't believe a Wal-Mart employee actually admitted that, but she actually looked it up on her scanner.

Starting to see some ammo stay on the shelves but still cannot find .22 LR. Never thought I'd see the day you couldn't find that!

5. Kai

Kai New Member

We started out with the panic buying...remember the manufacturers/distributors had no idea this was going to happen, none of us really expected this, and they ran through their normal stock. They have the same amount of employees and can only get so much work done in a day.
    The current restocking is typical.
    The current buying is as well. If you see a box of ammo reasonably priced on the shelf most will buy it, mainly because it is actually there and the opportunity presents itself.
    This all happened during the holiday season when many take time off...a smaller work force during a time of heavy buying also helps shortages seem more prominent.
    Everyone is back at work. They've had time to organize and ship orders in the system before the run and they're working through the hysteria orders...

This is all typical. Manufacturing continues to do so. Distributors continue to do so and stores will start seeing shelves with stuff on them. I'd not be surprised if orders are partially filled...perhaps best buyers will get full orders shipped...so they can at least partially satisfy all customers but I'd also expect that steady customers will get priority service.

I'd bet in the next couple of weeks, maybe 3 or 4, we'll see ammo in steady supply on the shelves followed by the smaller caliber guns with the AR's and similar types following. I just hope the gun prices are not jumped too much but probably at the MSRP and maybe a bit better for the short term and dropping as stock sits on shelves.

Just because there is talk about bans doesn't mean much more than that at the start. Federal law doesn't necessarily trump state laws at all. All laws have to be voted on by their respective legislatures and all such laws can be fought in courts up to the Supreme Court. And there already has been Law vs Court battles...and the courts have over ruled the law in some cases.

During this time manufacturers will continue to fill orders...they have employees to keep working and a profit to make...which will flow down the line to us.

Be patient it will work out.
    Be involved...continue to contact your law makers on both sides of the issue. Those that support gun owners need to hear from us as much as any of them.

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Still having a bad shortage in south AL. Most places are not expecting a shipment until mid Feb.

7. krosskelt

krosskelt New Member

It was the ammo I did not expect to run short like .380 that I have had problems finding, I think my LGS had quite a stockpile of ammo on the stuff he knew there would be a run on, and he limited daily purchase he had pmags until last week.

8. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I have wondered if the timing of when all this went down ended up contributing to the shortages. January is a slow retail time for many businesses and not only was staff probably light but they may have been ramped down for the post-holiday buying slowdown.

What's somewhat ironic is that prior to the panic I often would have trouble finding my preferred .45 ammunition and shelves would be overstocked with 9mm and .38 Special. Now, not a 9mm round to be had and .38 Special rarely lasts a full 24 hours on the shelf. I can still find SD rounds for .45 and there is some decent range ammunition available. Naturally this would be the time I got a 9mm handgun for Christmas.

9. davva360

davva360 New Member

Last week I was in my local Academy Sports (they are the only people that have not raised their prices) and they had very few guns left. Maybe 20 handguns and 50 rifles / shotguns, with no AR's.

I went back today to buy a shotgun and they did appear to have a few more. Certainly nowhere near a normal level of stock but they did have probably 50% more than last week.

Ammo is still flying off the shelves here in NE Florida. I happened to be in Walmart today and asked the guy in Sports and Outdoors if they had anything that was not on display. I was able to get 100 rounds of 9mm and 10 buckshot shells. It was the last of both that they had in the store. Who the hell is buying all the buckshot? LOL

10. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I went to Gander mountain and Academy today. There wasnt 10 boxes of handgun ammo between the two and what the had was all .32 or .25acp. They did both have a few ARs.

11. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Not around here.
    Both LGS's within 10 miles were both jammed all weekend long, half for the range and half for guns & ammo. Ammo at one shop is now limited to ONE box per customer (target ammo)....the other is 3 boxes. I asked one of the store owners point blank before I left because I'm sort of a regular there....if we have peaked yet with inflated prices and ammo shortages. He looked at me, shrugged his shoulders and said he thinks it will get worse before it levels out.

Time will tell, hang in there folks. All I know is I am fairly well stocked on all sides and refuse to get caught off guard if things suddenly get REALLY bad. Between police & government surplus ammo purchasing, to the new laws, to all the newbies eating up guns & ammo.

12. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Yes...lots of newbys for sure. I saw not long ago, a couple buying their first firearm, a .380 semi auto. Problem was,they were buying 6 boxes of .38 cartridges for it.:eek::eek: Fortunately the store owner got them plumbed up before they left.

13. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Another website was chatting about Walmart, their managers are getting what they have ordered and thensome. Other have called it BS.

I am going to ask my Walmart this question Monday or Tuesday. Will post what their comment is, if any.

Now speaking of ammo, my area is still empty; however, with the current cold temps in the morning teens or single digits and the afternoon in the 30's, minus the wind temps. Alot are not hitting the outdoor range.

So I might see the shelves stocked.

14. JeeperSC

JeeperSC New Member

I went out checking for a decent AR twice this month with no luck.
    Palmetto Armory just had stripped lowers that people were in line to buy. I spoke with a female at their distribution warehouse where they build them who seemed to have absolutely no clue what was going on as far as them getting more in stock or the best way i should go about to obtain one! Lol

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  15. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Thanks to some statements this morning by ole Tailgunner Joe, expect the ammo rush to continue.

16. levelcross

levelcross New Member

The lines at the LGS are getting shorter here, the ammo availability is still very low on everything except .410 and 16 ga shot shells. The AR's are on the shelf but at higher prices and the indoor range is a joke to get into with CCW classes every week instead of every two weeks.

17. hawaiifrank

hawaiifrank New Member

Shortage still on in San Antonio

On Sunday I went to 2 Walmarts and an Acadamy Sporting Goods store. Not one box of 9 mm of any kind. Others were there looking too and had been to several other stores.

So I ordered 4 x 50 rnd boxes of Selliers and B-something at $14/box (the only in 9mm in stock for less that $25/box of 20 to 25 rnds) from Cabelas Online Store. I gatherd that the S&B is not the perfered ammo since it was the only thing left. I'll probably be sorry I bought so much of it. I also placed on backordere a 300 rnd bucket of Remmington (or maybe Federal) 9mm for the sale price of $89.99. That is supposed to be in by the end of March, 7 to 8 weeks they said.

18. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

The lady at my Walmart says there warehouse is out of stock and will plan to restock asap. "Walmart is not against the 2A or shooters and were trying to restock as quickly as possible." Nice words....let's hope they're true. However while there I quickly put the punk employee in his place when he tried to tell a couple that .38 special cartridges would fire in a. 380 pistol. Uuuggghhh!!!

19. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Dying down? Not in nw Ohio. Haven't seen 9, 45, 223, etc since it started. Ar, mini, AK, double standard price, if not triple. What a joke.