Guess I'm being drafted.

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Ghost1958, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Double20

Double20 Active Member

My wife has killed two deer with the Winchester Power Point 64 grain factory loads. One was a fairly large 9 point buck and the other was a yearling doe. They worked fairly well if you can find them and don't have the ability or time to reload.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  2. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

My bud and I tried to get my dad back out hunting, he hasn't in the last 20 yrs.
    Good on your family for "drafting" you :)

Caveman Jim, Ghost1958 and JTJ like this.

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Take your kids hunting instead of hunting your kids. 6- year-old grand daughter shot her first deer last year.

4. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I never got to hunt with my grandfather, died about the time I was born. From the stories ive heard he was a hell of a hunter. If I had a magic genie I think that one of my wishes would be spent on a day hunting with him.

5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The last time I nearly got drafted, I joined the Navy. That may or may not work for you. :)

Ghost1958 likes this.
  6. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying Ghost, my dad & grandpa had lost interest in deer hunting the last couple years they went. But they went along because me & my brother were only teenagers & had just gotten into it. They got tags & carried guns but didn't shoot, instead taught us what to do & where to go & let us take the shots.

So try to look at it this way: you're not hunting, you're coaching.

Caveman Jim, Oldoutlaw and Ghost1958 like this.
  7. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

This is my oldest granddaughter year before last with her first deer. The rifle shes using is a 243 I had for a long time but I let it go last fall. IMG_20181114_093254-1.jpg

8. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmm, I’m thinking brand new .243’s for the granddaughters:p:p

9. Ghost1958

That would be on the parental units .

I have the AR They should be able to take deer with that.

Rifling82 likes this.
  10. Ghost1958

This is the younger wild child Cheyenne.
    Shooting a sr9c, year before lasrshe shot it herself, I was just showing her how to aim before letting her shoot it alone.
    They named this one well. Resized_IMG_20200112_153709.jpeg

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My son got my last hunting rifle. I still have a bolt 5.56x45 & 7.62x39 but those would be too small for elk.

12. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Where's your ears?? And watch the finger on the trigger. But teach them early, I'm a fan of that.

13. Ghost1958

I've got in foam ear plugs.

As far as my finger the mag was out of the gun. Sr9c has a mag disconnect and wont fire. I was showing how to aim and hold the pistol . Her finger is under mine. And it was pointing at the target the whole time.
    Once I got her grip right and how to aim I just put the mag back in and let her shoot by herself.

I only put one round at a time in for the little ones like her just in case the pistol would recoil out of her hands .

This is the older granddaughter in the pic before with her deer when she was younger around 8 shooting my sr40c CAM00116.jpg

14. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a feeling those granddaughters are gonna keep you busy Ghost!

15. Ghost1958

The Kiara ,oldest one I'll probably live to see her dating etc. She ll probably lose interest in hunting then but I believe she will keep shooting.
    Cheyenne is young enough I'll probably not be around when she hits that age.

I have another granddaughter Sydney, Cheyennes younger sister but shes still to little to shoot though she keeps begging too

16. Beezer

Beezer Member

Take those youngsters hunting. They will remember it forever, as will you. Even if you don't shoot anything, quiet time in the stand with the grand kids is worth its weight in gold.

17. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Find solace in nature, my friend. A trip to the wilderness is good for the soul, whether you hunt or not. And time spent with kids or grandkids is never wasted.

18. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Ghost sometime in the distant future you will be sitting next to your beloved wife by the pool in Heaven looking down with pride on your granddaughters teaching their granddaughters the things you taught them.

My Grandfather wasn't a hunter, but he taught me so much about other things, there are times I can almost feel him looking over my shoulder in the shop when I am at a stand. I was given his tools and his "junk" box by Dad and his brothers when Grandpa passed because I spent so much time with him in his shop, and none of my cousins did. At least once a month that junk box solves my problem. Sometimes it is a short term fix to finish what I am doing till I can get the right part. Sometimes it is the right part.

Just enjoy the time with your grand kids, and teach them as much as they can absorb, or maybe just a little more. And enjoy the outdoors and try to pass on that enjoyment too.

19. BK3220

BK3220 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

One of our 'regular" group of hunters stopped yesterday to check his deer stand. He started when he was twelve and hunted with his dad and his dad's army buddy(both 'nam vets) who is my second cousin. His dad lost his battle with cancer (agent orange) last year and my second cousin no longer hunts. There is something special missing without those two here to tell stories after the hunt. Last year the son hunted here with his best friend for the first time, they both went home with bucks. His friend died in his sleep earlier this year at the age of forty two. Go on the hunt. Make the memories. Tomorrow is not promised for any of us.

20. Ghost1958

Well I'm partway to being ready to go with the granddaughters respectively.
    The oldest is going to be to old for the early youth hunt 3 days before it starts.
    Soooooo she now wants to hunt the two day fall muzzleloader season this month that is a week after the youth hunt

So it appears right now assuming I can score a box of 55gr sp 223 I'll not only be taking Cheyenne on the youth hunt I'll also be taking Kiara the oldest muzzleloader hunting the next week. Apparently her bf also would like me to take him, show him how to shoot and hunt. He has no father or male in his life and nobody to look to do so.

Somehow a day of going with the ar is growing into multiple gun multiple season hunting trips this month alone.
    The mission creep is beginning to show o_O:confused:

Caveman Jim, primer1, alsaqr and 2 others like this.