Guess I'm being drafted.

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Ghost1958, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

I had decided that this year I wasnt going to hunt. Probably not ever again.
    The passing of my wife just sort of took my interest in such things away.

However my oldest and middle granddaughters began wanting to know if I would take them deer hunting again this season. After trying to make excuses and seeing the disappointment in them I went and bought my license yesterday.
    I no longer have the 243 so they will need to use my AR 15.
    I really have no interest in going myself but It looks as though I've been drafted into service.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

It would be hard to find a better reason for going.

3. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Good to hear Ghost! You can’t say no to them!

4. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

I bet your wife would have it no other way. Your doing a great thing. Hats off to ya. main-qimg-a78dfdccdd5f7d9b28a360cf736792ef.jpeg

5. Ghost1958

I tried to get out of it.
    Last season my wife and I were isolated because of her cancer and treatments and me staying home taking care of her .
    So they didnt get to go. They understood and didnt even ask

So like it or not I really dont have alot of choice in matter it seems this year.

6. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

You need to go Ghost, you’re not just hunting, you’re making memories

Caveman Jim, BK3220, alsaqr and 9 others like this.
  7. Triumphman

Triumphman Well-Known Member

I remember all the hunts I went on with my granddad and dad when I was a kid. I wish I could go on just one more with them. I'm now 65 and they've been gone for some time now.

Your granddaughters are looking for fun and memories with you, so don't deny them with a hunt, as you never know it might be your last one with them.

Caveman Jim, Oldoutlaw and Ghost1958 like this.
  8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

It’s good for you to get out there with them. Once you make the effort to go, you’ll enjoy it.

PeeJay1313 and Ghost1958 like this.
  9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Rare it is today for our children and grandchildren ask to spend times with us.

Enjoy it and add memories by relating stories that they will remember.

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It is good for them and it will be good for you. Good luck!

11. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

That is why I got back into hunting. After two tours in RVN I was not really into 'killing something' like was was as a youngster.:( But I had 4 sons who wanted to learn to hunt and I am sure glad I did get back to hunting.:) As a side note, unless the Fish and Game laws in CO have changed a 223/5.56 is not legal to hunt big game (deer) in CO.:eek:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  12. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Ghost is in KY.

JimRau, Ghost1958 and towboater like this.
  13. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

That was my thought, right there.

They won't always be of an age or inclination to come "running" after us for our company or guidance.

Take it while you can. It's one of life's true joys.

Caveman Jim and Ghost1958 like this.
  14. Ghost1958

I quit back in 05 when our son was murdered at 13.
    He was my deer hunting buddy and ot just wasnt the same.
    For several years I didnt until the wife decided she wanted one in the freezer so I went out and took one. By then the grandkids were wanting to learn so I started again.
    When my wife passed away I sold our boat and my deer rifle, not intending to ever go out again. Got the AR for two legged critters.

Luckily in Ky it's legal to hunt with any center fire rifle or pistol.. Limited to 10 rds in the rifle but I have a 10 rd mag.
    So it looks like I'll be in the blind with the grandkids come Nov.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Ghost- take the grandkids. None of us have guarantees.

Right now I am remembering a day in September. An absolute PERFECT golden day in September. Opening day of Dove Season, and a newly cut over corn field. I had my usual invitation from my Dad- and I asked if I could bring some guests. Dad said sure- and that he was going to swing by the house, and pick up his Dad- some of Grandad's friends were going to be there.

So on that one perfect day, I drove up to the dove field, and got out of my truck- along with my son, and his 8 year old, along for his first dove hunt. Now, just in case you got lost in my rambling tale, that afternoon, all dove hunting in the same field, were my grandfather, my father, self, my son and my grandson. Yes, there were 5 generations of us there that day. The eldest and the youngest did not do a lot of shooting, but every one of us made a couple of shots. And we have a family tradition- the first born son has Dad's middle name- which just fascinated the heck out of my grandson, who wound up sitting on the tailgate of a pickup, talking with his Great Great Grandad- with whom he shared a name, and they was both dove hunting.

That was to be my Grandad's last dove season- he passed away the following August. But there is a little boy that will remember that September day for a long time.

Take the grandkids. Give them some days to remember.

16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Hey Ghost,The Sierra 65 gr Game King and Speer 70 gr Soft Point bullets work great on Whitetail. If you can't find any,send me a PM with your address,and I'll send you some.

Getting back out in the woods with your grandkids will be good for all of you,and I'm sure you will enjoy making the memories.

Ghost1958 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  17. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Great opportunity Ghost. You will enjoy your time with those girls. It will be good for you! As well as for them.

Ghost1958 and Rifling82 like this.
  18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Get out there. You need to start living again. Enjoy the kids company and the hunt.

19. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

You will appreciate what you passed down to your grandkids. Not to mention the experiences you shared with them. Teaching them. Memories... PRICELESS

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  20. Ghost1958

Thanks for the offer. Though pistol and 5.56 fmj are scarce here the hunting ammo for an Ar is of pretty good supply.
    I'm running a 16 inch barrel with a 1/7 twist so it should stabilize up to a 70 gr pill ok I'm thinking though I'll probably go a bit lighter. Where I'll take them 175 yrd shot will be the farthest.