GSG 1911 - Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by sweeper22, Sep 27, 2011.

1. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I recently added a GSG 1911 22lr to my roster, as did one other shooter at the gun club where I shoot every Tuesday morning.

Last week, the bottom half of my friend's barrel bushing literally broke off after he'd been shooting for just a few mags. He lost a washer in the process and his gun is now out of commission.

Today after a couple mags my GSG stopped cycling correctly. I changed mags, and the problems persisted, so I broke it down. Low and behold, my guide rod is literally gone and the guide spring is now doubled over in its place. It turns out the guide rod broke (rod broke off of the cylinder it's attached to) and was sent about 5 feet down range. Fortunately, I managed to recover all other pieces. So now mine is out of commission as well.

That's 2-for-2 in my book. Both were cases where obviously suspect metal pieces were apparently too vulnerable to tolerate the massive power of the 22lr round. Both of us clean and assemble our guns competently, and between the two of us we don't have 1000 rounds through our GSGs. A little online research has made it clear that our problems are in fact common with this gun.

I think this gun is a fine concept, but I wouldn't recommend anyone add one until GSG decides to improve the quality a bit. And if you already have one that you enjoy shooting, it might be a good idea to investigate opportunities to upgrade some of the weaker points in its function.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive had my issues with the gsg 1911-22. ati did eventually fix it though a bit of monkey business took place due to misunderstanding between ati and my lgs.

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

You do know Colt makes a 22 1911?

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

You are aware that GSG stands for German Sports Gun and both the GSG .22 1911 and the Colt .22 1911 are made in Germany and imported.

I have a GSG .22 1911 with a minimum of 3000 rounds through it and never had a problem.

Just lucky I guess....;)

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My GSG is still running good.

6. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

My spring guide rod broke at 1000 rds. That was no big deal, just drilled out the bushing and replaced the rod. The gun has now passed 4,000 rds no problems. The GSG 1911 is a fine shooting .22 handgun.:)

7. dworkman8

dworkman8 New Member

Had a feed problem with mine with some really old ammo from high school days. I'm now 66. Replaced with new and haven't had any more problems. Haven't put a lot of rounds thru it but am verry happy so far.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

the colt is a umarex gun. this is prolly one of the few times ill speak bad of colt. stay far far far away from umarex colts.

9. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Why? My Colt .22 M4 has a few thousand rounds through it with absolutely no problems. Why stay far, far away?

10. jebsca

jebsca New Member

Had good luck with my gsg. It didn't like cheap ammo at first, but now I can run wildcat fine.

11. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

What has the Colt M4 .22 post have to do with 1911 .22 pistols? The Colt M4 the last I knew was a carbine. If you want to discuss carbines start another thread.:rolleyes:

12. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Because the guy is making a blanket statment about Umarex Colts, pistols or otherwise. Read his friggin post already; you do understand English right?.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  13. Hotshot

Hotshot New Member

I was looking at a S&W 22A and then saw the GSG(online). Shot the 22A but not the GSG. Would be noce to have a 1911 style 22 but not if it has problems.

14. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I was lucky, in that I'd heard about a problem with their barrel bushings & that they had a better one available. I called them & they sent me the improved version before I ever took it to the range. I'd think that by now, they'd be shipping them out with the new bushing. Haven't heard about a guide rod issue & mine is fine, but only about 500-600 rds thru it.

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I finally got the replacement guide rod yesterday.

When my friend called about his barrel bushing, the first thing customer service said was "Did your guide rod break?". I guess there have been a lot of problems with these. After a few hundred more rounds I'll probably decide whether this gun is a keeper or not. And if I keep it, I'll be going through and upgrading a few of the problems parts...starting with a stainless steel guide rod.

I'll probably end up adding a Ruger or Browning rimfire pistol as well at some point, which might very well replace the GSG.

16. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Solo69 you are new at this. Your smart A&& coment is not needed. If you want to discuss M4s just start a thread. This is about 1911 .22 handguns. That is English.:rolleyes:

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

According to the Wikipedia:
    "Röhm (RG)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Röhm, often referred as simply RG, is a German brand of firearms and related shooting equipment. Since 2010 Röhm RG is a brand name of UMAREX GmbH & Co. KG."

Every RG pistol I've seen in the past was of questionable quality.

18. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Yeah-Man! I've had a couple of them and they where not the best. I got my money's worth out of therm though I guess. Paid under 100 bucks combined for them so I guess I couldn't ask for much.:D

Back to the 1911-22 thing...I've sen a few of those gsg 1911-22's and they seemed to be pretty good little pistols.A friend has one that's been shot to hell and back and it's been flawless. A couple guys at a range had them not too long ago and after talking to them about the pistols they had nothing but good things to say about them. Maybe you and your friend got a couple duds and that might be troubling being it was two in the same area.
    I picked up one of the chiappa 1911-22's not long ago and it's been really good. It stove piped a few rounds out of the first 50-75 rounds but it has done really well since. The sights are a little funky but the manual says they make them over sized to allow for filing to the shooters personal preference. It's a blast to shoot and it's under 300 cost made it a great alternative to a conversion kit.;)

19. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Any manufacturer can have a few bad ones get out. It's how they handle those issues that counts & I've never read of any problems with their customer service.

20. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

New at this? I have been on this board for a long time, but just recently started posting again. I don't want to start a thread about the M4, I was just defending Umarex from blanket statements......sheesh, untie your panties already.