GSG 1911-22 range report and problems

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by JonM, Mar 13, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

there was a father teaching the kids to shoot an ar15 one lain over and he had them picking up the empty cases. i let them try the 458 socom out and they enjoyed and gave me all the brass the kids picked up!! good haul on range brass!! most of it is 223 and 30-06.

[​IMG]

ok today was the first day of shooting the GSG 1911-22. it wasnt without issue but those were quickly resolved. first the bad. i removed the firing pin safety and dry cycling and dry firing showed no issues. when i started shooting it kept locking up. took me a while to figure out the firing pin safety lever next to the hammer kept hanging in the empty hole in the slide. got hat fixed removing the lever the gun functioned great. i thought i needed to leave it to space the hammer. the sear needs its safety arm left in place for the proper function of the sear and disconector. removing the safety greatly improves the trigger pull.

the other issue... cracked from within 200 rounds. the frame as you can see below is indeed metal injection molded. i would NOT use the gsg 45acp conversion for this gun. the broken piece of the frame does not seem to affect function or accuracy. so i am not going to send it back at this point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(continued)

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i fired around 350 rounds before the range closed mostly bulk winchester which is often under powered and caused the only problems with fail to eject due to light powder charges. federal bulk red box, cci blazer, and cci minimag flawless function. accuracy as seen below was very good.

i did have issue with the extended ambi safety it kept biting my hand preventing proper grip. i truly hate beaver tails they dont allow a proper grip and i had a lot of difficulty with that as well. i would definately recommend replacing the ambi safety as it is not very well made. after 350 shots it was already extremely loose and feels like it can break at any time.

the good thing is this gun is made to colt government specs and maintains a high degree of tolerance so colt parts are pretty much plug and play. my colt series 70 parts drop right in.

all shots were taken at 10 yards

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ati sends three sight heights for the front sight. they are marked with dots to designate the hights. 1dot lowest and 3 the highest. they are held in place by set screw and are easily stripped. be very careful adjusting the sights. fortunately they are novak cut so replacing them if you do break them is no big deal.

i would have gladly paid a little more for higher quality parts but overall i am very pleased since the bad pieces are easily replaced with quality aftermarket.

3. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

It seems like you have a h*ll of a time with it.
    After everything that went wrong would you still recommend it?

4. KennyFSU

KennyFSU New Member

That is disturbing.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good report Jon. However, it certainly doesn't make me want to run right out and buy one.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

not sure if i can honestly say yes.

it IS a very good shooter. it IS very reliable for a 22lr once you get all the lawyer crap out of it. it is also surprisingly clean shooter. the frame quality is disturbing. but i want to run a couple thousand more rounds thru before i say yea or nay. mine might just be isolated incident. i havent read or heard of anyone else having a piece of frame chip off. or any frame issues at all. i tend to be real unlucky with firearms. if a gun is going to have an issue it will be the one i get. i will send it back before the 2 year warranty is up.

if i get 20-25k rounds thru it before a catastrophic failure i would get another one. at this point i am happy with it as it is the only 22lr 1911 out there that duplicates the controls, functions and size of a real one.

i ran it with using only a light coat of clp due to the outside temp being in the low 30's. normally indoor ranges or warm weather i use mobil 1.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  7. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Looks like a fun time. That is awesome you got all the free brass.

8. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

good report. but now it has me thinking...:confused:

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Yeah its a gun I realllllly want to be able to 100% recomend but I can't honestly do so because of the suspect quality of the frame material. Prolly why it only has a 2 year warranty.

Since its mine now I am going to shoot the snot out of it. I did send a email to ati, ill let you guys know what the reply is.

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The most recent FirearmsTalk experiences on the GSG 1911 have made me turn my eyes back to the Ruger 22/45 Mark III.

Even though it is not a true 1911, it has the safety, mag release, and slide stop in the same configuration, and the grip angle is the same. And $50 less to boot.

Best of luck on the next 20K rounds, Jon!

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Hmmm, about a year old and got at least 7-8k rounds minimal through mine and had nary a chipping/crack incident like yours. :eek: I do use synthetic oil and Fluid Film for lube/protectant/penetrate, on it in all weather though.

I wonder if Cane has had any incidences with his? :confused:

Please keep us in the loop Jon, on any other further problematic issues. :cool:

12. russ

russ New Member

No incidents of any kind with mine. However, I doubt I even have 1K through mine yet. Also, I have not tinkered with mine; shoot, clean, repeat.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

actually only one day old. after perusing pics of metal injection it looks like a zinc mix of some sort. i think i was just unlucky. so far no reply from ati.

i use mobil 1 but it was too cold so clp was used.

14. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

im still gonna look at one but i think i am going with the buck mark. im sure that the weapon works just fine in a .22 but there were some things from your pics that i wasnt crazy about. but best of luck with yours.

thanks

15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Which means No

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

pretty much. but it does have a LOT of plusses that the buyer needs to determine for themselves if it outweighs the bad. after all it IS the only functional 199-22 that really works and has all the controls and features of a real one and the same size.

17. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

in that price range maybe..
    kimber and browning both make a 1911 .22
    still trying to find a price on the browning but i know that the kimber is $750. ouch.... the browning is GI style as well

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

the browning is a reduced sized version i think its 75% of original or a 25% reduction. so wont serve my needs. if it was full sized with parts interchangeability i woulda been all over it.

the colt version coming out is made by umarex and if its anything like the 22 umarex AR colt puts out not worth even investigating.

i had a kimber and it quickly developed a severe fail to extract problem. got rid of it after numerous trips through the mail. had the chamber polished, extractor tightened, ejector replaced nothing cured it.

the only other option is a colt ace but they are $$$$$ and rare.

had a ciener kit sold it fail to cycle with just about everything.

havent tried a marvel kit but they dont fall in my criteria fr a practice 1911.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  19. russ

russ New Member

OK, don't take this the wrong way, but those of us who haven't fiddled around by removing parts put in place by the manufacturer or swapping internals out have not had any trouble with our pistols. Cane and IGETEVEN have both had theirs about a year, I've had mine for probably nine months, and we've had no issues. You said removing the firing pin safety caused the gun to jam, I'm wondering if this was the source of your frame problem.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not bashing the gun :) i actually like it a lot, and it is possible, but i dont see how. but i bought it specifically to get it as close to my series 70 in form and function as i could. so it doesnt serve my purpose to leave the original parts intact.

if the chip was a lot closer to the fp safety arm i would say ya that caused it for sure. bit its like a piece just flaked off and it occured after i totally removed the fp safety arm. that arm is held in by the same pin as the hammer.

im just laying out what has occured and what ive done to date so if removing a few parts hurts the gun peeps should know. but i can say for sure the frame is constructed of a zinc-like MIM alloy.